Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 21, 2024, 10:04:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HPA Shark... Part 2  (Read 623 times)
Pit
Bronze Member

Kudos: 135

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2024, 10:23:02 AM »

12 grams and what is the wing area? It should perform well. Trimming will be interesting and a bit of an education.

Were you going to add the wings leading edge root and trailing edge extensions?

Bruce

Prelim calculation was 53²in, but I don't remember if I included the LE and TE extensions.  I'll have to re-check.

I'm going to make another Canard - same size/shape, but using a carbon tube or rod as the spar.  Canards are extremely damage prone on FF models and since the fuselage carry-thru is a tube (intended to be able to adjust the incidence), I can make the whole unit removable.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Ratz (Bruce)
Administrator
Silver Member

Kudos: 152

Canada Canada

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2024, 10:36:27 AM »

Well the extensions were part of the look, I doubt they do anything that would have already been done by the canards. That's a pretty good wing size.

Another, cool. I find that once I have built a model I don't seem to do do-overs, so many designs so limited a time...

Cheers

Bruce

We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old because we stop playing.
Pit
Bronze Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2024, 04:38:20 PM »

Canopy/turtledeck cut, shaped and hollowed.  Final fitting to the airframe tomorrow.  I've elected to go with a faux canopy as I'm anxious to get this finished before I get sidetracked.  I doubt that I can get a vac-formed unit lighter than the all balsa one - so far, down to 1.5 grams.

A Dedicated Convert to:

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
OZPAF
Silver Member

Kudos: 197

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2024, 01:33:30 AM »

It's coming on well Pete - it certainly looks different.

John
Pit
Bronze Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2024, 12:04:23 PM »

Shaped and fitted the nose piece and the tail plug - both removable.  Leading edge root strakes (is that the correct term?) simply hacked out of some scrap, an the trailing edge root dohickies also glued on.  I'll be vac forming the canopy/turtle deck as fitting an all balsa unit on a stringered body is a real PITA (altho I could fill in the area where the canopy mounts Roll Eyes).

I have built in side and down thrust into the fuselage - maybe a bit too much - but I based it on what I needed for my SAAB.  The rubber runs along the centerline and the wing is also mounted on the centerline, so down thrust might be superfluous.

Covering may be knocking at the door...

A Dedicated Convert to:

Pit
Bronze Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2024, 11:03:09 AM »

A few photos of what has transpired.  I extended the airfoil onto the LE strakes to, hopefully, ease the covering process.  The pup is porking up a bit, but seems to be still fairly light.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: HPA Shark... Part 2

A Dedicated Convert to:

Pit
Bronze Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2024, 10:26:05 AM »

Haven't been sleeping (literally!).  Sketched up a color scheme (red & yellow, natch Grin) and am in the process of trying to get it on the airframe.  I'll be covering the parts individually, but will refrain from shrinking till after everything is glued together.  Photos when there is something positive.

A Dedicated Convert to:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: