Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 17, 2024, 12:18:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Catapult launched paper airplanes  (Read 299 times)
stupid
Bronze Member

Kudos: 22

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2024, 02:33:16 AM »

Getting a catapult launched paper airplane to fly like a catapult launched balsa glider would be really incredible, even better if you could get it to thermal.

I stumbled upon a paper airplane book at the thrift store titled: THE ULTIMATE PAPER AIRPLANE by Richard Kline, with seven different paper airplanes to choose from with patterns and folding instructions, all for $4, How could I resist.

Check out this 1973 article. The Paper-Plane Caper which describes its unique airfoil.
"Instead of being curved like most airfoils, Kline's wing is completely flat, at least on top. From the leading edge to almost halfway back, the cross section of the wing gradually thickens into a wedge. Then, the underside sweeps abruptly upward. It is this step that apparently gives the design its advantage over conventional airfoils."

https://content.time.com/time/subscriber/article/0,33009,907054-1,00.html

After folding all the different paper airplane designs, I combined the the Voyager, It wasn't looping as much like the others, and the Sting Ray, which has the step on the underside of the wing. With a little modification on some of the folds and bending the paperclip nose weight leg into a catapult launching hook. Now I'm finally folding a catapult paper glider that is showing real performance. High launches with a flip out transition into a flat glide, although the glide is  faster than I would like. There's still some room for improvement, but I am getting the glider to thermal occasionally.

Trying to explain how to fold the paper glider without writing a book like Mr. Klein did (126 pages) is going to be a challenge. You could buy a used copy of Richard Kline's book online for about 4 dollars plus shipping. Or if there's enough interest, I could make an attempt at describing the guidelines and folding the glider in written form with a few photographs thrown in for clarification.

Tell us about your favorite paper airplane.

Bob
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Catapult launched paper airplanes

"If it looks stupid, and it works..... It's not so stupid."
OZPAF
Silver Member

Kudos: 197

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 02:33:19 AM »

I remember the Kline Fogelman airfoils and this link gives a good description.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kline%E2%80%93Fogleman_airfoil

John

Re: Catapult launched paper airplanes
stupid
Bronze Member

Kudos: 22

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 10:31:54 AM »

John,
  I didn't think anyone had any interest in this paper airplane, you're the first. Interesting article in Wikipedia, but you have to sort through it to find what applies to free flight airplanes.

Quotes from the article.

"In the early 1960s, Richard Kline wanted to make a paper airplane that could handle strong winds, climb high, level off by itself and then enter a long downwards glide."

"Fathi Finaish and Stephen Witherspoon at the University of Missouri tested numerous step configurations in a wind tunnel. promising results were achieved with backward-facing steps on the lower surface of the wing."

"The low Reynolds numbers allow for the stepped airfoils to produce a significant amount of lift for the drag incurred, using a trapped vortex."

Then the article goes off the rails by trying to explain why the Kline–Fogleman airfoil does not work because #1. It doesn't work with an aircraft that you want to control the direction. #2, At higher Reynolds numbers. Starting with RC model airplanes the effect diminishes.

What Wikipedia fails to mention is in Kline–Fogleman's book.  "The pocket of trapped, compressed air supports the aircraft at all normal angles of attack. If the aircraft's wings dips on either side, the pressure in the lower air pocket increases and forces the wing upward until it is level, thus equalizing the air pressure in both pockets once again."

There you have it, everything that makes the Kline–Fogleman airfoil perfect for a very slow flying glider that needs to operate under its own control. Also why it's the only paper airplane I was ever to get in a thermal.
                             a.k.a./stupid

"If it looks stupid, and it works..... It's not so stupid."
Rekitus
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 02:56:57 AM »

ok that explains why the whitewings catapult glider did so well.
I was impressed by its performance.

I have it and can take a photo if any are interested.
I wore it out from many flights... never tried to get it up to a thermal.

wow.

victor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: