Hip Pocket Builders' Forum

Outdoor Free Flight Forum => Peanut Scale => Topic started by: Larry R. on September 13, 2019, 06:46:52 PM

Title: Bristol Scout build
Post by: Larry R. on September 13, 2019, 06:46:52 PM
I'm starting a build of John Blankenship's peanut scale Bristol Scout, the plans of which are available on Outerzone, and date to the December 1971 issue of Flying Models.  This is an all-sheet model, so it should go fairly quickly.  I don't plan to make any significant changes to the model, though I might make a few superficial changes to fix one or two cosmetic details.  Ratz kindly provided printed plans (together with a few other models plans in the same envelope) for a very reasonable price.

As can be seen in the photo, I'm beginning with the fuselage.  I inked the fuse sides on 1/32" balsa, on the inner surfaces.  For the fuse formers I used Elmer's Repositionable Glue stick to tack paper patterns onto 1/16" and 1/20" sheet.  I subbed 1/20" for the called for 1/32" balsa for a bit more strength without a significant gain in weight.  For former "A', I laminated four layers of 1/16" sheet, alternating direction of grain.

My building board is a magnetic white board I bought at Hobby Lobby for under $20.  I'll use Elmer's Glue All for this build.  After some promising trials, I'm going to use soft pastel chalks for the model's colors, although for the Union Jack and tail numbers I may go with printed tissue.

Title: Re: Bristol Scout build
Post by: Jack Plane on September 14, 2019, 08:50:31 AM
Nice one Larry.  The Scout is such a pretty aircraft.  Will follow.


Title: Re: Bristol Scout build
Post by: Larry R. on September 15, 2019, 08:46:19 PM
Here's photos of some progress on the Bristol Scout.

First photo shows the chalked fuselage sides with the Union Jack decals.  You can see where the chalking begins near the forward end of the sides.  I created the Union Jack decals using Turbo Cad, and printed them on white tissue paper from my wife's stash of gift wrapping.  For this, I cut a four inch square of the tissue, positioned it on a piece of printer paper, then taped it along the top only.  I used an Epson WF-3640 printer with Duralast ink.  The tissue is pretty much translucent, so I needed a white background for it.  For this I used white pastel chalk.  I knew I was taking a chance that the tissue wouldn't stick, but it does.  I used Elmer's glue stick to adhere the decals.

The remaining photos show the progress on the fuselage.  Look too closely and you will undoubtedly find the workmanship is not perfect, but I going to say it's an illusion caused by lighting and camera angle (ha-ha).

Title: Re: Bristol Scout build
Post by: korale on September 17, 2019, 12:41:29 AM
Looks nice Larry, one of my favourite aircraft.

I reduced John Blakenship's plans to pistachio size and built a stick and tissue version ages ago.  It flew very well.