Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 28, 2021, 03:49:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My Jalapeno 2M sloper design  (Read 2958 times)
DDawg
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2011, 12:11:38 AM »

So, a little over a month ago, I decided I needed to either repair my Spirit Elite, stuff gear in my other Spirit Elite ... or build better Spirit Elite ... It's not like I needed another 2 meter plane ... I have a whole hanger full of sailplanes ... ready to fly, take a small amount of effort to RTF ... or lots of NIB stuff I could start ... but Nope ... I had the bug to design my own ...

Due to picture size constraints, You can follow the whole build here, or in my Blog

I would love to post the pictures here but I have too many now to shrink to the size limits ...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
My Jalapeno 2M sloper design
My Jalapeno 2M sloper design
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 12:35:57 AM by DDawg » Logged

AMA105167
DDawg
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:45:29 PM »

and here is where I am at .... still making headway ...
Re: My Jalapeno 2M sloper design

AMA105167
BEAR
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 03:46:03 PM »

I think it looks very smart  Cool

If you cant take a joke dont do free flight.
lemuel
Platinum Member

Kudos: 59

Australia Australia

A peanut a day keeps the doctor at bay..

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 08:24:12 PM »

yes it looks very nice indeed!

two wings = GOOD, no wings = BAD Sad
DDawg
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 12:31:52 AM »

thanks for the compliments ... still plugging away ... one drop of glue at a time ...

AMA105167
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 12:49:43 AM »

Very nice! For some reason I didn't think that this was going to be a woody, I thought it was going to have foam core wings for some reason. A woody, I'm paying utmost attention Smiley Looking great so far. What is your weight target?
DDawg
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 05:31:12 AM »

Very nice! For some reason I didn't think that this was going to be a woody, I thought it was going to have foam core wings for some reason. A woody, I'm paying utmost attention Smiley Looking great so far. What is your weight target?
I designed it for foam wings only because it would have been more accurate for my choice of airfoil, which has a slight under-camber toward the trailing edge (DS19) ... but, I wanted a build up wing ... cause I love wood and I am a masochistic. If I would have did the foam wing ... its been done now ... or not ...  Grin

Target weight? I hope to get it around 30 ounces or less ... but not sure yet ... I am trying to keep it lean and mean, but handle light lift ... we will see ... the build up wing I will lose out on the under-camber benefits of the DS-19 ... unless I get real fancy and build up the Ailerons properly ... that however will require special attention to detail ... I am getting antsy and want to fly it ... I may shortcut the the wing build some, a) to save weight of two servos instead of 4, and it will save me some time and money ....

The link to the full build thread is in the first post ... I keep it up to date ... I kind of just post teaser stuff here ...

AMA105167
DDawg
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 10:32:38 AM »

Currently in its present state, she is weighing in at just under 12 ounces ... and she has an ounce of lead buried in her nose already as well. I am figuring I can come in under 30 ounces easy, if I stay on course ... still have quite a bit of work ...

AMA105167
DDawg
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 01:15:15 AM »

I wish I could find some cheap, lightweight covering material ... stuff I can buy without going through a hobby store ..

I would love to go old-school and  do a tissue/silkspan & dope covering on it ... been years since I covered a plane like that ... I think it was an old control-line flite-streak ... which has been ages ...

If anyone has any suggestions on this idea, feel free to chime in ...

AMA105167
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 06:30:36 AM »

I wish I could find some cheap, lightweight covering material ... stuff I can buy without going through a hobby store ..

Doculam...I picked up some on RCG.

or

Tissue+mylar. Not sure where you'd get the mylar (might be able to find on RCG, otherwise there are many online hobby suppliers), but tissue can be bought cheaply enough or even scrounged (I have scrounged quite a bit from gifts, shoeboxes, etc.).

DDawg
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 06:27:23 PM »

Duculam ... interesting ... maybe worth looking into ...

meanwhile another benchfly foto session ... at this stage, it is weighing in at 14 ounces ... still need to build up the Ailerons, add sheer webbing, add the wing tips, sheet the wing (1/64 obechi) and of course ... wood filler and the SAND sand and final sanding, tack, add electronics, cover and crash   Shocked   ... er ... maiden ...  Grin

AMA105167
BEAR
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 08:12:09 AM »

Mike Woodhouse carries mylar   http://www.freeflightsupplies.co.uk/  look under  LW Coverings. Cool looking glider   Cool

If you cant take a joke dont do free flight.
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 10:33:50 AM »

Duculam ... interesting ... maybe worth looking into ...

FYI Doculam is all the rage with the guys building foamie VTPR ships (Fish, Swiss Fish, etc.).

RAFster122s
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 07:21:42 PM »

Did you finish up your Jalapeno?

Another covering when you need a film that is durable is BP Hobbies Fibafilm. It is like the old Coverite Micafilm. A very durable almost puncture proof film that does not have the adhesive built in. It shrinks well and is super tough. The Coverite fabric formula of the BalsaRite  Or the Balsaloc can be used.

FIBAFILM is a polyester heat shrink film similar to Micafilm. It weighs 1.03 ozs per square yard. You will need Balsaloc as an adhesive to apply this material.
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V037439

I did a little surfing and found the following comments...
http://www.antiquemodeler.org/sam_new/covering/covering_weight_comparisons.htm
Micafilm (by Coverite): A very strong covering, impregnated with omnidirectional mica fibers, smooth on one side and fibrous on the other, applied with Balsarite adhesive. I used only clear Micafilm (hard to find in stores): the transparent colours are heavier, and solid colours heavier again, and the addition of the colour layer kills the shrinkability of the film. This leaves the problem of how to colour the clear film. Dope will stick only to the fibrous side, leaving an outside surface that is impossible to clean. (A colleague of mine colours and trims the covering backwards before applying it to the aircraft. Then he applies the covering coloured side in, smooth side out!) Micafilm also has a nasty habit of wrinkling in strong sunlight. Sometimes it de-laminates under stress.

Worth reading this modeler's info...
Looks like Micafilm is beat by UltraCote Lite/Solite/Microlite, etc.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: