Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 25, 2021, 10:14:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Contemplating P30 Project  (Read 5712 times)
SHigSpeed
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2012, 05:03:41 PM »

Hi all,

Now that I have my Junior Senator trimmed and flying famously, I'm looking to build something bigger and contest legal.  Not that I hope to do any contest flying per se, but if I were to want to I would have something "in the bag".

I love the look of the VargoWock, and twin tail planes in general.  I was looking to scale the VWock to 30" WS, but as it turns out with the dihedral to plan, it already fits within the 30" rule.  The problem is that the fuse without the prop on it is just 30" so the idea was to remove 1"-2" in there somewhere.  Now with a 9" plastic freewheeler, the noseblock may be similar in weight to the proper big folder, but limited to a 10 gram motor, the peg to hook would be around 15"-18" right?  To do this I'd probably move the peg on the 'Wock forward one to two bays.  Maybe taking the 2" out in front of the CG and moving the peg forward would maintain the proper balance without excessive ballasting.

That said, would it be difficult to build down to 40 grams?  Without the constraints of building to the plan for OT, I could use 3/32" for the main structures - heck, maybe even 3/32"x1/16" for the spreaders considering the reduced torque of the spec motor.  Certainly could be build very light behind the peg.

Finally, with such large wing and lifting stab areas, how do you feel a shortened ultralight 10 gram motor VWock fly?

Alternatively, I just acquired a set of plans for the Majestyk which has a similar fuze profile to the 'Wock family but smaller flying surfaces and a slimmer airfoil.  I would think that this plane with dual Leia Buns tailplanes (I wonder if that's why I like the look? Nah!) would look pretty cool as well and it's a proven P30 plan.

Any thoughts?

_SHig
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:18:29 PM »

SHig,

You would do well to avoid reinventing the wheel.  Stick to the proven designs like the Majestyk.  The latest version has a rolled tube fuse which is even better, but the built-up fuse will do fine.  It should present no problems after your Senator.

I would avoid the twin fins and stick to the single one on the fuselage per the plan.  You will find that when you make what seems like a simple change to an existing proven design, it breeds unneccessary and unforseen complications.  The stab mounted fins make even the very slightest sloppiness in the fit of the stab to the fuselage a real causer of squirrilliness.  Of course, the late Bob White would disagree!

For the first P-30, build the Majestyk and stick to the plan.  With that "in the bag" you can then build that worldbeater! Grin
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 280

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 01:00:28 AM »

I love twin fins on rubber models ........     Wink
SHigSpeed
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 01:22:02 AM »

I love twin fins on rubber models ........     Wink

I know, right? @(-_-)@

_SHig
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 01:46:11 AM »

Check out bob White's P30. It has twin fins and flies great!  Granted I saw the master himself flying it. Plans are out there if you look!

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 03:51:27 AM »

I agree with all the above - build something you know will fly first if you want to compete (If it's just for sport flying build whatever you fancy and if it don't work, just put it down to experience) Wink

The Bob White P30 looks a real dream ship with it's super slim tube fuz and twin fins, but I suspect would be a tricky project with a very thin wing section and light construction. The Majestic is a known good flier and I like Teachers Pet (JOD design for beginners in the class, but can be a real goer with a few tweaks. My orignal was a bit of a lead sled, but very tolerent of all the changes I made over the years and always performed reliably) The other one that might be of interest is the 'Pongo' which was a free Aeromodeller plan and had twin fins . . . .Built one which was okay, but no world beater.

Our own Hepcats (John Barker) 'Hepcat' might do well - twin fins, very pretty, easy build and fairly light. Most of them fly in MiniVintage with pretty small motors anyway (20-25gms) Weight can be @45gms sticking to the listed sizes and avoiding heavy thrust races/tomy timers and using Mylar for covering which will get you in the ball park Roll Eyes

Have fun whatever you choose
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
SHigSpeed
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 01:11:11 PM »

Good suggestions, thanks!

BTW, here's a pic of a twin-finned Majestyk with modified wingtips that Mr. Majestyk himself (IIRC) blt himself.  He claims it flies great.

Interestingly, I don't know if it's an illusion or not, but it seems as if he's put some dihedral in the stab.  Odd...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7237/6993251802_14dbd51a15_b_d.jpg

I really like the wingtip profile as drawn though, so should I try the twin-fin idea I'd probably build them up to match the wing profile and have them also drop below the stab a bit.

_SHig
Contemplating P30 Project
Oldtime Flyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

"Keep it Simple"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 09:54:17 AM »

Good suggestions, thanks!

BTW, here's a pic of a twin-finned Majestyk with modified wingtips that Mr. Majestyk himself (IIRC) blt himself.  He claims it flies great.

Interestingly, I don't know if it's an illusion or not, but it seems as if he's put some dihedral in the stab.  Odd...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7237/6993251802_14dbd51a15_b_d.jpg

I really like the wingtip profile as drawn though, so should I try the twin-fin idea I'd probably build them up to match the wing profile and have them also drop below the stab a bit.

_SHig

SHig,

My Majestyk Classic Twin Fin was a design I just couldn't resist building. I have always liked the Oldtime models from the '30's - 40's. Rounded tip flying surfaces, built-up fuselage and twin rudders.... Beautiful IMO. You are correct about the stab having some dihedral. This was a reflection of Al Casano's '39 sm. stick design and alittle Bob White thrown in. Bob always used stab dihedral in his modern contest designs. From his P-30, Coupe's and his Wakefields.

Thom / Otf'er
Contemplating P30 Project
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: