Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 18, 2020, 02:49:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mice!  (Read 6778 times)
Mike Taylor

« on: February 17, 2008, 12:32:34 PM »

When I ran the Red Baron Hobby Shop in the 70's, we decided to help newby C/L fliers out. Each year, the weekend after Christmas we ran a clinic for new fliers who got models, whether they came from our shop or not. We required each kid to bring a parent and they learned to set up, start and fly their models. The next weekend, we ran a contest based on the Rat Racing rules, but for 1/2A models. Club members climbed on this event, and in 4 years our fastest speed for the 100 lap main event had risen from ~40 mph to close to 80 mph. We saw intense rivalries and some serious pushing of the rules. We wound up running 3 classes including an unlimited event for the TD .049s.

My planes started out rather normal (built up, tissue covered balsa models with FG cowling, and based on Keith Lauemr's 'Flea-Whiz') and eventually evolved into Litho-plate clad models with very little wood involved, and 1 was built around a magnesium speed pan. The solid balsa or aluminum wings and bass spars allowed me to fly the model hot into the pitman's glove, and I also rigged up pressurised syringe fuelers and a hot glove with wires running up his arm to the battery. It was very humorous to watch the other pitmen trying to pull off the same snag-in-on-the-fly-by-the-wing recovery stunt; most came up with just 1 wing Smiley

Here is a picture of my surviving models, much the worse for the years they lay in the top of the barn. The models shown are the 'Blue Mouse', 'Vanilla Gorilla', 'Mach Turtle', and 'Captain America'. The shorter out wing is not a result of the air-snagging recoveries - that was simply to keep lines tight without the added weight on the wingtip.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Mice!
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 72

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 04:18:10 AM »

Now that's a small batch of mice, I never expected mouse racing to be that popular, looks like you guys had allot of fun. I think it's a category that still has some following even these days, my buddy made his son a mouse racer so that they could get into some local competition. I will have to look into this class some more this season to keep up with them. Good job at promoting the hobby Mike, most hobby shops would not have gone that far, at least not the ones I grew up shopping at.

Cheers

Bruce

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
Mike Taylor

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:00:36 AM »

I think that we invented Mouse Racing for that beginner's event. No one had even heard of it before the thought occurred to scale down Rat Racers. A photographer/writer for one of the mags came by, took photos and wrote about it, and it caught on. Of course, it took 6 or 7 months for anything to appear in print in those days, so it could have been raging somewhere elsewhere without any of us knowing. That's what is so cool about the net - come up with an idea and share it immediately...
flinger

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 03:59:20 PM »

Grin Hi there I'm flinger ( from my H/L Glider side ), As far as Mouse Racing is concerned there doesn't seem to be too much of it being flown.. My club does not do any with 1/2A Mouse racing only in combat ( which is a real blast ). It doesn't seem to popular in the Northeast or at least not to my knowledge. I have two more modern Mouse Racers on the workbench waiting for engine installation, I haven't figured out which engine(s) I am going to use---these are pretty standard as far as Mouse Racers go---with all basswood construction--mono landing gear etc. I have a set of plans I have made for another which will be sort of an F2CN configuration with a reinforced (flying wing) i.e spruce leading edge and either 1/4" or 3/8" balsa body with thin plywood doublers and also a single landing gear. This last baby won't be built for a while until I have finished off and tested the two on the bench---it's been a busy building winter so far. Besides which there are a couple of F/F ships also on the build me list. Cool
Mike Taylor

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 09:03:50 PM »

I'm glad to hear someone is still thinking about mouse racing. I will tell you that if your club has an event, 3 pilots duking it out in the circle at once, trying to pass over and/or under each other, rubbing shoulders for 100 laps is a GREAT crowd pleaser Cool
flinger

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 06:58:04 PM »

Grin Probably the one way that you might stimulate Mouse Racing is to bring a couple down to the field and set a race with another pilot and two mechanics. However in my club, The Middlesex Modelers of NJ, they are fanatics for Clown and Foxberg, Warbirds; I guess some guys are into other types of T/R i.e. the various types of Rats so I guess they don't really want to mess with the .049's which are really a big pain in the backside. I am sure if some of them heard a Cyclon dial in however, their heads may perk up a bit. Frankly I think Mouse Racing is in the last stages of extremus and may die an eventual death---it isn't even very popular at the NATS. At best the enthusiasm and number of competitors is under whelming, but so has C/L Speed and Racing taken a National nosedive. It's not because the guys cannot tweak a good engine in Mouse II, but once again there doesn't seem to be a great love of the 1/2A. Now as for 1/2A engines I use most of mine in F/F; in my Dakota Biplane an OK Cub; or a 50's design 1/2A KIWI F/F-Norvel .049 Big Mig. Some guys in Clown T/R certainly go for some rather awesome brute engines, but not 1/2A. I dunno--- Huh
JohnDowland

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 08:56:15 PM »

and based on Keith Lauemr's 'Flea-Whiz'

Mike, as a departure from everything, do you have a plan for this plane? I have been hunting for the plans from the Laumer book--have Pipsqueak, Buttons & Twin Lizzie now and would love this one. Or any others.

John
Mike Taylor

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 06:48:54 PM »

It is too big to post here; check your e-mail. I downloaded a number of other of KL's plans, but they were all corrupted Angry
Mike Taylor

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 07:22:36 PM »

Ah-Ha! Found the source -> http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/Laumer/Laumer-Page.html
RobC
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 06:48:59 AM »

I've got one that's not on that site Mike,

The GeeBee "Z" Sportster profile CL for ME Heron (1cc diesel). I should build it as I've got a spare DC doing nothing. I may send it along to him for the page.

Cheers,
Rob
Mike Taylor

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 10:02:02 AM »

Never, ever saw that one. Chance of getting a copy?
RobC
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 06:48:16 AM »

Yes mate, just PM your email address and voila.

I have no idea as to the source, it appears to be a single sheet, no date and no other clues. The 2 sheet pdf is only 259kb so quite small or the tiff & png files are 1.29Mb single sheets.

Cheers,
Rob
RobC
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 07:47:47 PM »

Mike,

I sent the plan to Dave Fritzke for his page and he's told me it was published in Aeromodeller. I've asked him for a copy of the accompanying article should it come to hand.

Email on the way.

Cheers,
Rob
Mike Taylor

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 08:40:28 PM »

Thanks, Rob, got it.

This one interests me since it is the only profile model model of his I have run across.
robert mathison
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 03:56:12 PM »

HI Mike,

Two club members were into 1/2A mouse, they were very good in good year and team racing. The only one active at the contest level is my son Joey Mathison, in speed events. The other two members are John Tate and Willis Swindell, age got us.

Bob

EVER DAY FLYING IS A GREAT DAY WHEN YOU ARE WITH YOUR BUDDYS .
RobC
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 07:10:18 PM »

Mike,

I have the scanned original (Laumer GB) build article now, rather than transposed text. I found it online by chance so yell if you'd like a copy.

Cheers,
Rob
Alexandre Cruz
Bronze Member

Kudos: 11

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 10:13:47 PM »

Could someone please post a picture of a Stratostreak 5?

I read a little about mouse racing but is is very hard to find information or pictures.

How popular is this event? How many people fly mouse racing?

My brother and I are playing with COX 049, we have built a couple of aerobatic models and some combat wings but no team racers so far.
RobC
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 12:32:29 AM »

I looked but couldn't find anything on the Stratostreak 5, just the original gas, free flight Stratostreak and the small cheap rubber one sorry.

Cheers,
Rob
blklion

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 11:42:42 PM »

I think that we invented Mouse Racing for that beginner's event. No one had even heard of it before the thought occurred to scale down Rat Racers.

My flying buddies and I (kids, back then) decided to try 1/2A rat race and scratch built some models just for that purpose. Biggest problem was that there were only 4 of us so it only became a 2 plane race each time. Tried it a couple of times but we lost interest.

Weeks went by and I entered an AMA sanctioned meet here in Illinois... combat being my interest. While waiting for the matches to begin they announced they were looking for more entries for the 1/2A speed contest... they only had two entries. I had the little rat racer with me so signed up, whacked off the LG and snipped off the inboard elevator. The elevator was two pieces of balsa with glued onto music wire that ran through the fuselage via a short length of brass tubing. Had to clip the inboard one because the control horn was on that side and kept the elevator on the plane.

It had a Spitzy .049 on it for power and I think it had a 5-6 prop on it. Anyway, I'd never flown on 35' lines before and it was a real surprise to me that thing actually flew and I had control. I clocked at 79+ mph and (go figure) took 3rd place out 4 entries. Won myself a Little Half Fast kit.

Here's the only pic of it I have. Blurry B&W but there she sits. This was back in 1959.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Mice!
bigrip74
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 09:19:36 PM »

Just found this website and came across this post which is close to my heart. After 40 years I decided to get back into the hobby, I flew Rat Race and Combat in the late 1960's and early 1970's. After visiting several control line club sites and hobby shops I thought that a mouse racer would be the bird to build and fly to get any flying and pit experiance back into shape. Now to find a good Cox Baby Bee .049 and some extra parts.

Bob

If it aint broke dont fix it!
craig h
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 09:44:28 PM »

Hello Bob....welcome back to the hobby....have you checked the site Cox International..I think you will find it interesting,
bigrip74
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 10:01:45 PM »

@ craig h: I am still navigating in this new world of the control line hobby, it is nothing what I left. I will give Cox International a visit and I have looked at ebay for the engine listings which looks good for parts and an occasional Cox engine.

Bob

Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 06:33:57 PM »

Hi,
Brings back memories,we flew this class in Western Australia in the mid-late seventies,our model was a 13" span profile fuse mini rat racer with a TD 051,one wheel undercart and it  flew faster than the other models which were mostly mini Goodyears, but could never get a clean run from the tank I made.I pitted for my brother who now flies F2C.
I will try to dig out a photo
Cheers
Phil
bigrip74
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 06:41:38 PM »

At: Sandgroper,

Your mini rat sounds like the one that I took to the 1969 AMA nationals, I also will need to dig up the photo and will very much like to see yours.

Bob

GeoffinIN
Gold Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »

I'm not sure if it was too early to be a mouse racer, but have any of you ever heard of a gorgeous little (14" span) 1/2 A racer called Dil-Bod?
Weird name, but pretty model.  Designed by George Milliken.  Might someone have a plan?  The original kit had no plan - just an instruction
sheet and assembly/setup drawings.

Geoff
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: