Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 20, 2021, 04:17:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stooge for C/L planes  (Read 1273 times)
robert mathison
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2010, 03:20:27 PM »

HI All,

I am trying to make a stooge so I can go flying when I can not find someone to help me. If you have photos of your stooge could you post them, this is not a contest I need help so I can fly some C/L planes.

Bob

EVER DAY FLYING IS A GREAT DAY WHEN YOU ARE WITH YOUR BUDDYS .
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 04:09:07 AM »

Hi Robert

I used to use a stooge for my stunters on the grass patch we flew from; easy to make...

No pictures I'm afraid (it's long since passed to a new owner). Embarrassed

A block of hardwood (mine was @ 2 x 1 x 10") with 2 holes drilled through the face to allow it to be staked into the ground with a pair of tent pegs.

On one side (the 1" edge) attach a wire arm (14/16swg) with an 'L' on the end that is a loose fit into a hole in the block (screw at the other end) and a kink about 1/2 way along.

Fix a length of line/string to the kink longer than the lines you use. When you pull the string the 'L' pulls out of the hole Cool

Now all you need is to solder a wire loop to the tailwheel of your stunter.

To use - first lay out the stooge and line. Then locate the 'L' in the wire loop and check it's secure. Start the engine and walk to the centre of the circle. Pick up the handle first then a tug on the string will release the model...

Phew - takes longer to describe than make. Undecided

Don't use a string with a lot of stretch Wink I had no problems over several years and used it with every wheeled CL model I had. Light and easy to chuck in the box with the other bits and bobs

Have fun
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
sleepy gomez
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 11:34:44 PM »

Hi Robert, go to the "brotherhood of the ring" forum. Dial down to "how to build a something". Topic stooge and scroll to nearly the bottom for a lineless stooge. Simple, no moving parts!
robert mathison
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 03:46:43 PM »

HI Sleepy,
I would like to thank you for the info. This computer is not working like it once did.

Bob

EVER DAY FLYING IS A GREAT DAY WHEN YOU ARE WITH YOUR BUDDYS .
JEM
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 12:34:02 AM »

Hi guys.  There seems to be a lot of stooge designs around but I have never seen a "solo retrieval assistant" (for the want of a better name!) so I made one. I used it for 30 solo flights in October for the Ringmaster Flyathon. It worked a treat.
The idea of it is to keep your lines out of the grass when carrying your plane back to the pits. Murphy's Law ensures that you will always land on the opposite side of the circle from the pits especially if you are flying alone.
Dragging lines across the grass can damage them if they get caught on tufts.

The photos tell the story. If you have a different handle to the one shown, just make the aluminium holder to suit your handle. Measurements are not critical nor are materials. I used some aluminium pipe from an old extendable cobweb brush handle and some electrical conduit fittings.

John.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Stooge for C/L planes
Mainthing
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 12:49:59 PM »

I fly in an empty parking lot near my house and usually don't have any help, so my brother made me this stooge. It is very simple, I screw it into a crack and then make my center perpendicular to the stooge, I then run a neon colored string to my center, set my plane over the the upright piece, fuel, start go to the center, pick up my handle get a good comfortable grip and pull the string to release it. Works great too on all size planes. I have launched a Stiletto with a ST 51 and it holds it great. The screws are concrete screws and if they don't get tight pick another spot to screw into. Hopefully the image will attach, if not send me a message and I will email it to anyone interested.
nosedive100
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

my family of medallions

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 11:28:07 AM »

man there are a lot of diff. ones out there if ur tring to come out of one like this better have plenty of power!!  http://i.imgur.com/TAtPn.jpg  thi one on ground w/ wheels I like better I LIKE WHEELS!!  http://www.coxengineforum.com/t5577-my-simple-1-2a-stooge?highlight=stooge
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 32

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 12:18:29 PM »

Here is a combat plane self launcher.  Instead of the foam you can use a work mate and an old piece of carpet.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: