Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2019, 12:31:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "JUPITER MOON"  (Read 1718 times)
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2012, 05:35:01 AM »

I've always liked the looks of the above named 20" HL glider that appeared as a fullsized plan/column writeup in the Sept. 1996 MB.  Has a built up wing, anhedraled stab and underslung fin.  Pop-up wing DT with tiplets.

Originally designed by Ed Berray and flown to local success by him in 95, Mark Sexton took the design and moified it to the built-up wing planform and gave it the name.  Does anyone know if it had any further success?  I have wanted to build one, but my javelin HLG days are pretty much over except for the tiny, super-light jobbies.  I have a pic of the plan, but it is not very good as the plan is on a medium-blue background and my scanner is not working (again).  I'll try to clean the photo up a bit.

But, who knows... Roll Eyes ,,,

Edit: I think this pic wiil work.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
"JUPITER MOON"
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:58:16 AM by Pit » Logged

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 02:15:06 PM »

Pete
I do know both chaps and have seen Jupiter Moon fly...but not lately.
They both live in NW USA & probably suffer from Nothrowitis, as do many HLG ancients al over this 3rd rock.

Leeper
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 04:15:45 PM »

Thanks for the "confirmation", Lee!  I had briefly (very) contemplated building one to 16-18" as a catapult model, but the sub fin won't make it practical.  My glider slinging days are long over - tried a few tosses with my WHATSIS this afternoon, and even with a GOOD warm-up, my shoulder is killing me.

Might build one anyway - if I can squeeze it in...

A Dedicated Convert to:

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 04:39:40 PM »

So turn it into a DLG!

Tmat
-you are welcome..... Wink

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
Rewinged
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 01:35:43 AM »

Pete,

That is very cool.  I always like hearing some history about my friends.  I just saw Ed on Sunday!  I tried to call him today, because I think he would get a kick out of hearing about your build.  I'll try again and see what he has to say about any further success.  (I probably should know Mark Sexton, but don't yet, anyway.)

Ed's a great guy.  He's the person that I flew with the first time I tried to fly TLG 3.5 years ago.  If not for him, I would have quit that first day after putting my glider into multiple pieces.  
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=2353.0
With his encouragement, it got put back together, I learned to throw, built a couple more TLGs, and now I'm a pretty good HLG/TLG competitor!  I'll always be in his debt for keeping me going.  That first glider is still going and is my primary practice glider, although presently it is being repaired for fatigue damage.

Ed is a great indoor rubber modeler as well.  He flew very well on Sunday, using a variety of models from an S.O. helicopter to a 35cm.  

Anyway, thanks for posting the pic of the plan.  Hopefully I can reach Ed in the next few days.  Post some pictures of the build!

--Bill

Good air don't care!
JonSayre
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 07:52:17 PM »

I have built and flown a Jupiter Moon before, back when I was in high school. It flew very well, I still had parts of it up until a year ago. Very reccomended! Why not build two, one for javelin and one for tip launch? In fact if you build one I will too. Mine will be built for He-Man rules so it will be solid balsa but I will keep the same lines. Does that help get you fired up about it? Grin
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 07:32:22 AM »

H'mmm... Grin Wink

By the time good weather comes back (tho TODAY seems VERY nice), I may have to find some suck...err, volunteer Roll Eyes to fly it - don't think I'll be capable of tossing a coin in a well by then.  I SHOULD have built it years ago, so yeah - I'll doit (Cripes, ANOTHER on the list).

Tip launch with the tiplets might be problematic, tho Wink.

A Dedicated Convert to:

flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 09:23:39 AM »

OK, shrink it to 16 inches, put the fin upright behind the stab, a hook on the nose, and shoot it to the sky.
Rewinged
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 08:02:40 PM »

I talked to Ed today, and he added just a little to the accurate story Pete relayed.  Several of the local guys flew the glider with success.  In fact, I thought the glider looked familiar, and Ed confirmed that I had seen one of our flyers, Tom Kopriva, flying one.  It had a super glide--perhaps one of the best gliding HLG I've seen, with the exception of one of Sayre's gliders.  Tom flew it as a tip launch.  I don't think it had the tip plates.  Speaking of the tip plates, the plans confused me a bit.  The side view to me made it look like the tips extended below the wing, but they extend above the wing, as shown in the dihedral view.

Good air don't care!
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 05:41:18 AM »

If it can be built without ruining the looks WITHOUT the tip plates as a DLG/TLG, I should have no big problem flying it myself (no-spin/one-step).  The plates DO theoretically reduce tip losses, tho, and the boom would prolly have to be reinforced.

Already decided how to do the fuselage - same as I did with my 8" Krazy Katze "W".

A Dedicated Convert to:

lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 10:55:25 PM »

Maybe the tip fin can be reinforced and used as a launch peg. I've seen tip fins done this way for rcdlg, though they also had a bit of a fin underneath.
wyshynski
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 01:21:04 PM »

Hello

I'm new to the forum but was culling through my old MB issues and came across the Jupiter Moon as well. Inspired by this thread, I shrunk the plans 15% to create what I'm calling Callisto, a moon of Jupiter. Callisto features:

Weight 30.2 grams balanced (which is pretty good for me)
Moved the fin to top per thread suggestion
Wingspan= 17 inches
Length = 18 inches
Stan B fuselage I had laying around
Silly putty DT for tail
Alum tube capped on either end to prevent pop-up rivet from slipping out (had this problem on some other CLGs)
Washin shim on left panel

Glided it in my backyard and it floats pretty well. Will see if I can get pics in flight when it stops raining here.

Thanks much for all the smart suggestions.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: "JUPITER MOON"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: