Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 21, 2021, 09:41:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Biplanes  (Read 4310 times)
robert mathison
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2008, 05:45:48 PM »

HI All,

I like biplane's and my flying buddy Willis Swendell sent me a great photo of his biplane, they are great fun planes. and I would like to see your Slob, send a photo.

Bob
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Biplanes

EVER DAY FLYING IS A GREAT DAY WHEN YOU ARE WITH YOUR BUDDYS .
robert mathison
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 04:57:26 PM »

This is a great flying biplane it is the 38 SPICAL , I will get some more photos of it.

Bob
Re: Biplanes

robert mathison
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 03:53:17 PM »

Sunday was a great day for flying control line plane's, here is a photo of one.

Bob

robert mathison
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 06:51:07 AM »

Sunday was a great day for flying control line Biplanes.

Bob

robert mathison
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 07:27:39 AM »

This photo was sent to me from our control line flying buddies up north, how can you tell?

Bob

50+AirYears
Gold Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 06:42:40 PM »

Still trying to find time to either build the Flying Fool I have NIB, or rebuild the mess someone gave me a few years ago. I really loved the first one I had.
robert mathison
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:29:04 AM »

This is a photo of Joey Mathison flying his slob Sunday in Vegas, looks warm there.

Bob

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 09:18:46 PM »

And who says you can't do 3D in control line airplane flying, great picture and looks like fun.

Sundance12

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
robert mathison
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 07:15:49 PM »

This biplane was sent to me from my penpal from down under.

Bob

50+AirYears
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 02:43:35 PM »

Hey, Sundance, do you mean to tell me back in the late 50s and early 60s, when we were doing Sabre Dance and tail slides with our ukies, we were doing 3D? Who'da thought!

My old Sterling Flying Fool was great for this on a Fox .19. While the guys in the local club would do the SD by running their .35s super rich and staggering through the air, that FF at regular needle setting could do loops, wingovers, and such, but after either doing some consecutive loops, or a few waves, just a quick pull and hold on full up would stand that bipe on it's tail and let it hang on the prop in a full stall, sometimes, depending on wind, bouncing up and down. Just a quick neutralization of the elevator would allow full recovery.

Funny thing is, it flew the same on that .19 and a 9-4 prop as it did with the Fox Stunt .35 with a 10-6. I even think the flight time was the same with the 4 ounce tank. Those were the days!

I GOT to either repair the salvage FF I have, or build up the kit.

An old friend of mine (father of a boyhood friend, actually) actually had a pre-kit Flying Fool built from a magazine plan. Main difference between it and the kit was his had a raised turtle deck behind the cockpit, instead of having a level top with a carved headrest.
robert mathison
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 04:22:59 PM »

This is a great looking biplane from down under.

Bob

robert mathison
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 04:28:46 PM »

This one just came though, it is a very good looking biplane.

Bob.

50+AirYears
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 04:44:47 PM »

Has anyody there built a Bi-Liner from Feb 1958 Flying models, or the Larry Scarinzi Queen Bee for Pee Wee .020 from the June 1960 MAN, or the Lynx Mk II from American Aircraft Modeler? I started a Bi-Liner in 1963, but work and college, then a stint in the USAF got me off track on it. It seems to have disappeared about 1965 - 66 while I was in North Africa. Along with a collection of first years copies of most of the Marvel comics I had, and a bunch of old WW-II era model airplane mags I used to have.

Only flyable CL bipe I have right now is a Pee Wee powered Nieuport 17 from full size plans in an old FM. I think the engine doesn't trust me. Starts and runs just fine at home or at the field, as long as I don't have lines on it.

Does it know something I don't? Or is it that it just doesn't trust me?
tejician1

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 01:09:49 PM »

Don't know if any of you guys have seen what a World Champion CL combat flyer can do with a garden variety Bi Slob. This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDwfn-OKELM#noexternalembed will knock your sox off !! A good flying friend & buddy, Pat Wilcox (AMA avp Dist VIII ) from Houston, Tx will show you some top notch Bi Slobbin' to some great music. I own 2 Bi Slobs myself and have been able to do some pretty incredible & nutty stunts with both, can you imagine, doing a tight loop, stopping, backing up, touching the tail, climb 10 feet, stop and backup once more...touch the tail, go to full down elevator into a touch n' go and resume some of the best CL sport 3D flying you will ever experience. I feel I must warn you, your face will ache and hurt from smiling and grinning so much after flying a Bi Slob...some pilots have been observed to fall to the ground from laughing & giggling so hard while flying the little bipe, it's highly infectious. BTW, the Bi Slob makes a great CL trainer too. Grin
The Kiwi
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 11:43:59 AM »

Still trying to find time to either build the Flying Fool I have NIB, or rebuild the mess someone gave me a few years ago. I really loved the first one I had.

The Flying Fools I recall best had a Sterling trait regarding upper wings. The same way that a veteran old Ringmaster was likely to shed its outboard wing, a Flying Fool would fly out from under its top wing!

Kiwi

* Smiley *
50+AirYears
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 11:51:48 AM »

Never saw that on the Flying Fool, but it did happen on a Sterling SE-5 I had. Funniest thing about that was that it flew the same with and without the upper wing.
robert mathison
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 05:47:03 AM »

The first Flying Fool I had was over powered with a FOX.35 and I did not know the location of the C/G , I later found out it was very nose heavy while flying it. when the engine quit it turned into a brick and fell out of the air, after trying to get it to land with out rolling over & over from a high point when the engine cutoff I would have it just a few feet off the ground when the engine cutoff and it did the same thing . never did add tail weight.

Bob

jam486
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 07:06:24 PM »

i like biplanes i fly !/2A due to space constraints so heres a guillows sopwith camel and a sig staggerwing with cox .049 engines they fly great on 25 to 30 foot lines
Aeronut
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 09:13:05 PM »

Biplanes are my favorites too! They come in all sizes. Here is my Sorta Dakota Bipe at 6" wing span! Flys great! Smiley
sleepy gomez
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 10:38:26 PM »

I too have a soft spot for biplanes. Here are pictures of my DoubleTime. OS 40, 710 sq in, 48 ounces. Foam wings and tail. Covering is oo silkspan/50-50 mix Elmers and water. Color is Home Depot acrylic latex. Final coat is Minwax polyurethane.
robert mathison
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 06:54:44 AM »

HI Sleepy,

With the price of clear dope @ $24.00 a QT. I think I will try your stuff out, how much weight will it add to a stunt ship?

Bob

The Kiwi
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2010, 05:50:29 PM »

I am on the verge of ordering one or the other of the Black Hawk WW-I bipes; if I get the Spad, I will modify it into a Sopwith Camel, however.

Kiwi

* Smiley *
The Kiwi
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 05:56:29 PM »

I must say, the message traffic in the CL oriented area is really low. That's a shame! There still isn't a proper place to go for nostalgia since Isky's general forum had to shut down, followed eventually by Flight Lines. Stuka Stunt doesn't count, with its Prima Donnas and constant flame fests.

Kiwi

* Smiley *
sleepy gomez
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »

I suggested to the moderator in an email that the title as it appears on Google needs to be changed. As it is if you Google this forum it looks like free flight only. Maybe if enough emailed the moderator it might change.

SLEEPY
The Kiwi
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 10:22:35 PM »

Sad I miss the interaction that the friendlier forums offered. With so few people still doing CL, there aren't enough here in a city of a million population to support a club, and I have no good friends among the very few still active, besides my kid, and he's so dedicated to CL combat, it's practically impossible to discuss any other model area with him any more.

He gave me such an odd look when I said I wanted to convert a Spad into a Camel . .

Kiwi

Kiwi

* Smiley *
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: