Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 19, 2021, 06:21:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Biplanes  (Read 4319 times)
C/L Gee Bee
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »

I've favored C/L Biplanes since my Ringmaster days. (1955 to recent) Some of them were the 'C' series Sterling Nieuport, profile Spad & Fokker D Vlls, and a Ringmaster S1 that I converted with a pair of Jr. Satan wings. (Twin Kit that Sheldon's was selling on a Control Line kit clearance: $6.95!)

Numerous Flying Fools, always the inevitable 'hunting', however slight; but it was always there. Loved that combo with Fox .35, then .36X for WAM 'Air Race'...(not a winner, but always a 'favorite' with the spectators)

Built a large profile bipe from scratch: Fuse was 28" long, used another Flying Wing Double kit: Riley Wooten's Combat Cats. The lower wing was shortened, 2 rib bays on the left and one on the right. This enabled me to offset the upper rib positions from the lowers: both wings centered, but lower wing's ribs in between the upper's from top or bottom view...

Ribs, spars, leading & trailing edges were fitted then wood stained with dark walnut. Wings were then assembled with double ribs at cabane strut stations, center and outers. Fuse was painted lemon yellow, and wings were covered with clear transparent Fas-Cal. Fox .40 was used, airplane was light.

It was extremely 'showy' in the air...tracked nicely, then a snap wingover showed all those blackish ribs!  (the 'offset' made them look like there were a hundred or more... an old trick with the visual perception I discovered when louvering hoods and deck lids on hot rods: offsetting every other row seemed to increase their numbers.)

Most recent biplane was another 'C' class profile, made from an upside-down "Sabre Stunt" fuse, cut an open cockpit, 30" wingspan upper, 27" lower. Upper wing was attached securely to the center cabane with horizontal screws, trailing one slotted, #4-40 R/C control rods with clevises at the outer cabanes. Upper wing incidence adjustable, for experimental purposes. (final perfect tracking was achieved with 1 degree NEGATIVE incidence on top wing, lower at zero. When set up at zero/zero, some buffeting at the trailing edge made level flight unstable.

Test was repeated many times, each adjustment recorded. 'Experts' argue for zero incidence, but they're the same ones that tout Chevrolet's superiority in automotive engineering. I say 'Do the research!'

Power was from an OS .40 Four Stroke, the most steady running model engine I've ever run.

Backfires when starting lost the prop nut a few times, but that was 'field-remedied' by sliding a short stub of silicone fuel hose onto the threads ahead of the nut. It never even loosened it up after that! (strange but true)

Biplanes are unique, and a challenge. Current Bipe project is a Coon Dog, a fat cabin bipe... Just Cool!
perttime
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 03:40:16 PM »

I don't have a bipe but I am sure I will...

Small? Minnesotamodeler has a kit for the Queen Bee. I think there's a scan of the plan somewhere in the interwebs too.

Not quite small? Replikit has plans and kits (or is it short kits?) for Keil Kraft Scout.

Big? John Miller (Cadclassics) has designed a modern Stunt Bipe. I think he has not built it yet, though.
sleepy gomez
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 12:04:28 AM »

Yes, real airplanes have two wings!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Biplanes
C/L Gee Bee
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 06:30:39 PM »

A nice gent I did some business with (sold him an older Super Tiger .35 he had been looking for) asked if I'd like an old Sig Biplane.  I said 'Of Course!',  and he sent a package to me.
When I opened it, there was a new Sig Profile Spad Vll, and in the other bag there was a Sig Fokker D-Vll. Both 'C' class, and complete...just no boxes.
I had a Spad in '73, and my flying buds built them too. Mortal Combat, in slow motion! I repaired mine after a few midairs, and had it until just a couple of years ago, donated it to a young fellow that did a nice rebuild on it, still flies it.

I'm anxious to get back to Bipes. Great thread!
Air-Fan
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 09:31:42 PM »

Hi,
I'm new to HPA forum.  I saw this thread and thought I'd share.  My favorite biplane is the Great Lakes 2T-1, mostly because I actually had a chance to fly in one back in 1987, a long time ago right!  Anyway, I built a ~3/4" scale version of the Great Lakes.  It is 20" wingspan and powered by a cox Black widow.  With solid wings its a little underpowered for stunts which resulted in a crash out of a loop and a rebuild.  The flying picture is the before (2010) and the static picture is after the rebuild (2011).
C/L Gee Bee
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 11:18:57 AM »

That's a beautiful Great Lakes, Air Fan. (I have a Sterling kit I have to duplicate, the balsa is heavy as ironwood)
The swept top wing was a favorite of mine...

Are you thinking of a larger powerplant? The flying pic looks great!
Air-Fan
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2012, 10:34:22 PM »

C/L Gee Bee,
Thanks for the feedback on my Great Lakes.  I built it from the Flyline plans that I had reduced by half at staples.  I haven't flown the Lakes since the rebuild but I've thought about it.  But as you suggest, it needs more power.  I'd like to mount a .074 engine but the problem is that I need an engine with an integral fuel tank like the Black Widow as there is no room for a fuel tank inside the fuselage.  Any Suggestions would be welcome.
Keithhs
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 12:42:41 AM »

Just happened to stumble on to this thread. I love CL biplanes. The first one I ever built was many years ago, a Flying Fool. On the first flight it jettisoned the top wing. Some 40 years later when I got back in to CL I got a Bi-Slob, 38 Special and I scratch built another Flying Fool. I made the plywood wing struts long enough that the extended all the way through the wing ribs and epoxied them in...
sleepy gomez
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 12:53:53 AM »

Will a triplane count in this category?  I'm building one now.  40" span each wing, 877 wing area, no stagger, heavy OS 61 since very short nose.  Original design for stunt.  Target weight is 59 ounces.  Resembles (way far off scale) Fokker Triplane.  If there is interest I'll keep up with photos and flight. 

Sleepy Gomez  515 s. Main   Rising Star Tx.     863-899-0656   [email protected]
perttime
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 07:04:53 AM »

Why not...
... anything to keep the thread going, as long as it has more than one wing  Cheesy
wreckbender
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Sweden Sweden

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 07:08:31 AM »

Yes, sounds very intresting. I would like to see photos of her.

R/C is disco, C/L is Rock´n´roll
Air-Fan
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2012, 10:06:43 PM »

Hi,
Here is a Blackhawk/Scientific/Musciano Thunderbird I just finished.  It is for fun and maybe one of the Musciano commemorative events.  I lightened it on the inside but it still weighs 7oz RTF as in the picture.  If I build another one my target weight will be 5oz RTF.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2012, 08:12:46 AM »

This is an old(approx 20yrs0 profile semi scale camel complete with Snoopy. 18' WS built up wings covered in tissue/doped and finished in enamel. it's powered by a ED Bee mk1 and flew well on 35' lines but was not aerobatic.
It hasn't flown for years.
John
Modelace
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2012, 10:31:06 AM »

18' wingspan??
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2012, 07:26:28 PM »

Whoops! Lousy typist - more like 18" - 450mm. I'd love to see a 1cc Diesel fly a 18 foot wingspan airraft Grin
John
CeeJay Flyer
Copper Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2012, 03:23:54 AM »

I'd like to see you hanging onto the handle!! Smiley  Smiley

Believer
Nickel Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2013, 09:23:14 PM »

I too have a soft spot for biplanes. Here are pictures of my DoubleTime. OS 40, 710 sq in, 48 ounces. Foam wings and tail. Covering is oo silkspan/50-50 mix Elmers and water. Color is Home Depot acrylic latex. Final coat is Minwax polyurethane.

Sleepy,

How fuel proof is the polyurethane top coat?  Are you using the water based?  The only bipe I have is a Goldberg Lil Toot that I'm working on.  Power will be a TD .020 and about 30' Spiderwire lines.

Thanks,
Brian
sleepy gomez
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »

polyurethane YES  Polycrylic NO      Polycrylic is water based and is not fuel proof
Garf
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2013, 09:51:07 PM »

Someone gave me a BiPlane he called the Dreamer that he wanted me to test for him. I attached an Evolution 46 that I wanted to test run. That thing jumped off the ground. It needs trimming, but will be tried again.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:04:00 PM by Garf » Logged
flyingagin
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2013, 07:53:19 PM »

I have a Bi plane under construction. A Ring Master variant. I am using Brodak RM Jr ribs, but some new bigger ones at the center section to bring the wing spans up to 36" not counting wing tips. 7.75" roots and 6" tips. So right at 500 square inches. Power will be a Super Tiger .34 with 2.4 throttle control.

Full built up fuse, stretched more than a normal RM. Wings will be removable. Tail feathers normal RM out line, just sized for the wing area.

Long ways to go yet.

Ken

"As for Me and My House, We Will Serve the Lord"
Joshua 24:15
sleepy gomez
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2013, 08:07:48 PM »

I always love biplanes.  With twice wingers keep them simple and light.  No flaps.  Keep the Tail Volume Co-efficient to around 3.9 to 4.2.  In the formula measure of chord, use birds eye view of the wing stagger, if any.
JEM
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2013, 12:08:24 AM »

Just thought I'd throw in a pic of my 'Slob.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: