Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 23, 2019, 11:00:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: down thrust Guillow's Arrow  (Read 371 times)
icedriller
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:55:57 AM »

I am building a Guillow's Arrow and following the instruction for powering it with a .020 Pee Wee.The instructions specify 3 washers behind the motor on the upper two bolts for down thrust.But.....it does not give the size of the washers, thin or thick. My washers stacked 3 come to 1/8". Is this too much or too little Huh

just a few more turns
HatzLymanC
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 12:23:55 PM »

I had an .020 powerwd one many moons ago.  1/8" will be a good starting point.

Lyman
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 128

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 05:06:07 PM »

The washers the instructions refer to are prolly for 2-56 screws.  The thickness of the ones I still have is 0.018".

For what it's worth.

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »

Your better off building some downthrust into the firewall rather than using washers if it's not too late.
icedriller
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 05:21:59 PM »

Thank you for the suggestion. Nope not too late. How much would you suggest?  1/8" Huh

just a few more turns
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:35:06 PM »

Thank you for the suggestion. Nope not too late. How much would you suggest?  1/8" Huh

Can't say I know the model, but if it's Pee Wee powered I guess it's about 30 to 36in span?
  I should think 1/8th would be about right as a starter.  But you must remember EXACTLY how much downthrust or sidethrust too, for that matter depends on a lot of things.
Start off with the 1/8th or a fraction less and see how it goes, then add washers where ever if need be.
Good luck.
squirlye
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:21:31 PM »

Hey icedriller keep us updated with your Arrow.  I bought a Arrow last month. And I am either going to go RC or free flight with mine. But I recently discovered a cox .020 in a box of msc. 1/2 A engines. So now I think I want go with free flight. Nothing like someone else doing R&D lol....
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 01:17:38 AM »

Ice,
I don't have a set of Arrow plans with me but I've attached what Guillow shows is needed for the smaller Javelin 24"  Kit #603.
Please note the ridicules amount of down thrust these needed with the 0.020 FF (Note the 3/16 shorter bottom dimension). I would also recommend using a prop with the airfoil backwards for the first trim flights. I will tell you that when trimmed correctly the Arrow climbs like a home sick FAI Angel. If doing the 0.020 conversion please make the wing spars out of bass wood and maybe add some more spars. We don't want the wing going into fluter.

All the best,
Konrad
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: down thrust Guillow's Arrow

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: