Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 20, 2020, 08:58:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2012 A/B Classic contender  (Read 1198 times)
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »

Well, I've designed and built a new A/B Classic plane for the 2012 season. Pic.s attached! It's 497 sq. inches, weight is 639 grs. (22.5 ozs.), pwr. is a S/T Series X .21. C.G. came out right at 80% and initial test glides are promising. Probably will not be able to do any test flying until spring time but I'm really looking forward to it.

Scott
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
2012 A/B Classic contender
Steve J.
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 12:29:55 PM »

Great looking plane.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 04:13:16 PM »

Scott

It looks very nice, I hope the trimming goes well - when the weather allows.

I'm a little puzzled though, over here a "classic" model has to be designed between 1951 & 1960. I assume that your rules are somewhat different.

Peter
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »

Peter, Classic hear in the states is anything goes as long as it's a locked down model!!! Our nostalgia class is for planes, engines, and designs up to 1957.

Scott
RobinB
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:02:31 PM »

Scott, I had some questions but Peter has already asked one  of them.

Is this 'Classic' type of model a class within AMA A, B, C gas ?

And, while we're on this subject, could you also explain the different categories and engine runs allowed?

Thanks,
Robin
p.s. nice looking plane

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 02:25:29 PM »

Robin/Peter, AMA has two power Classifications for duration models. Straight AMA pwr. is anything goes as far as pwr and auto surfaces. Of course we have the standard pwr classes, i.e. 1/2A, A, B, C, and D engine size. Classic pwr. is the same with the exception that the plane must be locked down i.e. no auto surfaces except for DT and no folding props. Alot of flyers fly the same plane in both classes, that is Classic planes in the straight AMA classes also. Engine runs are the same in both classes and this depends on the flying site size. The most common in eastern U.S. is class III, 7 second engine run for 1st three flights and 2 minute maxes, than a 5 second eng. run with same 2 min. max, than it drops to 4 second eng. run and 2 min. max until all the flyoff contenders drop the 2 min. max. I hope this helps. One of the most popular pwr. events is the Nostalgia classes, they are alot of fun!!

Regards,

Scott
RobinB
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 03:37:14 PM »

Thanks for that explanation, Scott.

I'd recently been re-reading Marvin Mace's set-up notes for the Marval (in an old Sympo),
and he refers to 4,5 and 7 second runs. Now I get it.

Robin

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 08:06:29 PM »

Cat 3, the max bumps to 2.5 minutes on the 4 sec motor run. A good locked plane can expect 2:45 in dead air on the 4 sec motor. The long-wing bunter can expest 4.5 minutes on that 4 sec motor.
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 01:16:05 PM »

Scott, nice looking plane.  It looks very Pearlesque Wink
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 03:18:08 AM »

Very nice Scott, looks very minimal nice and light, bet it will climb well.Not much flying going on here either-high winds and 100+ temps.
Do you get lots of fly offs with 7 sec runs and 120 sec max ?
Just for a comparison on freeflight rules here is the MAAA FF rulebook-also minimal

http://www.maaa.asn.au/maaa/pdf/maaa%20rules/Australian%20Rules%20S2%20FF%202009.pdf

Phil
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 09:09:32 AM »

Phil, thanks for the positive comments on the plane. Yes, in most cases we do have fly offs. Of course it greatly depends on the weather conditions. In early spring and late fall with it's cooler temperatures and thermals are few and far between it may go to only 4-5 flights. At our summer nationals it may go as far as 10-12 flyoffs before a winner is announced. But it's great fun and we all help each other. This is my fifth season of flying so I'm just getting caught up with all the ins and outs of the sport. Hope your weather improves for you and you can get to flying!!!

Scott
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 09:02:44 AM »

Well, after fighting cancer for most of last year and weather conditions hear in middle Tennessee we finally got a couple of days of great weather for trimming airplanes. Spend an hour last night in calm conditions trimming this beast. Very fast climb, goes where you point it. (pilot beware)!!! Glide was good but a little fast, will add a little weight to tail to see if I can flatten it out a little. Jim Jennings and his son James where at the field with me trimming a couple of E36's and his son's comments after seeing the pwr. pattern was "now that's a plane with an attitude"! Will se how it does at Muncie this weekend.

Scott
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »

Well took it to Muncie and test flying just before official timing took place everything was going great. The 7 grs. of weight I added to the tail to try and slow the glide down was a little too much because it ended up with a slight stall in the glide so took it off. Pwr. pattern was vertical with a slight right hand twist and as pretty of a role out as you can get. Was getting it ready for the first official flight and noticed the wing covering near the center dihedrahl was a little loose so checked out the dihedrahl joint and the glue joint had come loose!#$%^&* So put it away for another day and dragged out my back up and flew it, and it flew very good also. Good enough for second in A/B, C/D classic. I've already got it fixed and waiting for the NATS.

Scott
Kurt
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 04:27:36 PM »

Scott,
very nice looking plane. I lways enjoy to hear about the free flight competitions, which I did a lot in my youth with my Graupner V 51 powered by a 2,5 ccm (.15) Webra Diesel. Unfortunately here in Rio I have no space for free flight.
Wish you good flights at the Nats.
greetings
Kurt
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 11:02:16 AM »

Just a report how things went at the 2013 Nats. in Muncie last week with this plane. Winds where high and flying was very difficult. Had troubles getting the plane on pwr. patten but finally got it dialed in and my second official flight and imediately foregot to wind up the Texas Timer!#$%^&()* Engine run was great but at 3 1/2 minutes the plane disappeared behind some trees and when I got on the other side of the trees could not find the plane in the air or in the bean field or the 6 ft. high corn. It is lost!!! Bummer! Will be building a new one very soon.

Scott
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »

Sad to hear ...    a tracker would have saved it; time to invest, Scott
Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55