Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 15, 2019, 09:27:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dave Clarksons SLOP formula  (Read 4284 times)
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2012, 06:18:13 AM »

Mike's second flight looked good...very good.

Windy day for sure.  And it's so dry on the west part of Australia unlike the east side.  It's either all green here from top to bottom or covered in water......was more flooding in Queensland yesterday.

I guess that's the Nats FF field?   Looks roomy enough for a few maximums.

Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2012, 08:10:01 AM »

Yes it was a ripper-too loopy, looking back it needed1/32 less packing under the tailplane- although this may have saved it on the offwind launch?,Mikes Fox 15x running sweet I had fun keeping track on the camera and lost it in the sun behind the clouds,I  posted a full version of the days flying  boots and all with the usual remarks we free flighters -especially brothers come up with when timing or filming anothers model.
It has a mine(dam)nearly in the middle of it now  but still lots of room around the surrounding paddocks.Depending on where the cocky(top bloke ex modeller) is going to plant his crops,Guy helps us out by asking local farmers if they have anything available if he doesn`t .
There was accomodation near the field at a Farmstay  where the FF BBQ is to be held

Phil
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:32:47 AM by Sandgroper » Logged
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2012, 09:19:15 AM »

Heres two for Mick,
These are Rod Mc Donalds SLOP models,he makes his own carbon booms and full carbon fuselages,Rod makes beautiful models mostly originals, he has returned to built up wings after fiddling with vacuum bagged glass/carbon/ply polystyrene wings for a while .
F1Q is off thread but nice to look at

Cheers all
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Dave Clarksons SLOP formula
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 01:34:50 PM by Ratz » Logged
mwj1045
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2012, 03:30:48 PM »

Hi gents

Have been following this with interest. There vhave been several references to a Fora 21 in either diesel or glow. Are they still available or has the source dried up. I can find no current reference. Please advise

Martin
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2012, 05:45:45 PM »

PPS.  Another really good model along the DaveClarkson type lines (flat bottomed) is the Slowworm 432 by DavePlatt ... I've got one with a BigMig.15PB ... as per the Aeromodeller article ... its a good General purpose slop model for rounds.

There was an Aeromodeller article about the SlowWorm 432?
When was that?
I got my info from an NFFS Sympo feature, and the plan and notes from Lee Campbell.

Robin

The Slow Worm Aeromodeller article was in the 1999 Christmas edition  Vol63 No 758,Cover has the flyers at the Ebenezer mass launch Old Warden-It says it is reviewed by the editor -Ken Sheppard and it was a Campbells Kit.

Phil
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2012, 05:57:17 PM »

Here is a what should be a great off the shelf engine for SLOP the Brodak 15,plain bearing  $80 don`t take any notice of the stunt tag I am promised they go well,looks like a 3 bolt rear cover in the parts view?

http://brodak.com/engines/brodak-15-engine.html

Phil
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:31:48 PM by Sandgroper » Logged
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2012, 10:35:36 PM »

There is someone selling FORA .21's glow version on eBay.  They come on at least monthly and are supposedly New-In-Box.  I have plenty of K&B 3.25 & 3.5's as well as a couple of Nelsons so am not in the market.

There is a plan vendor on eBay from Canada who markets by the name of Dr. Scribbles.  He has an eBay Store.  More importantly, he features many Free Flight (Always Capitalize) plans from the Nostalgia and Classic era.  For $5.00 in the Buy-It-Now feature you get a jpg plan, pdf plan, and a pdf of the magazine article.  Now the reason for all this, he has the Y-Bar, and Dave Clarkson's Slow 400.  The plans will be emailed to you.  You can store them on a flash drive and take to the local printer.  Here in the USA, the UPS Store usually has the best deal for large format printing.

He just sent me a CREEP plan to try out.  Probably he will have it offered soon.  Give Dr. Scribbles a try.
mwj1045
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2012, 02:15:14 PM »

Thanks Flydean1, I shall keep my eyes open#

Martin
Ployd
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2012, 05:49:42 PM »

Hi Sandgroper.

I do have a Brodak 15 (ex Maris Disler's NIB) but they need a bit of work done on the venturi/nva assy to remove the restriction on the intake plus the crankshaft needs attention as they have a tendency to snap (heat treatment). Oh, they are a 3 bolt backplate and contrary to some comments do not fit the OS 15FP lug bolt hole pattern.

Will not be at the WA Nats; after the AFFS Champs and hosting Lee Hines (The great Leeper) for a while it is off the the Vets Gathering at Musswellbrook for a chinwag session and sport flying therapy  Grin

From previous posts: I told others about thinning down the dixie stab airfoil as a means of controlling higher power and I run less warps and changed the wing airfoil to an NACA 4409 section.

Ployd in OZ

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »

Thanks for that info on the Brodak Peter it certainly looks the part, for Slop on suction the intake restriction may not be a problem,then I have no real need for one I have a few PB 15`s as good .Pity you can`t make it to the Nats,looks like you are all booked up and it`s a long way. I will have to make it over to the AFFS champs one year,Trevor has fond memories of fishing his model out of the river at Narrandera hee hee,wonder what it will be like after all the rain lately?.
No progress on the Minicano yet but thanks for the plan its about sixth in line of things to build,one problem with all this blogsite stuff is seeing something which you fancy and getting distracted. Undecided
Found a 7/32-32 UNF tap on AU ebay for $4 to make a spinner nut to fit the 15FP and the Max111 .15,took a short cut and drilled out a Mecoa 5mm acorn nut as I wanted a hex on it and have no hex bar.He doubled the price to $8 after my purchase-lucky me  Shocked
Pic of  most of my PB .15s and a TT.10,the ugly diesel head on the TT15  was made from a Davis Diesel OS .45 head and also fits the OS 15FP.
Cheers
Phil
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2012, 05:05:46 AM »

Hi everybody,

I have just commenced construction of my Slow 525,it uses the wing and tail of Dave Clarksons Trainer open power model,I have nearly finished the LH wing sections and the tailplane.The LH panels are both flat and the righthand panels will have 3mm wash in on the inner and 1.5mm washout on the tip,mainspars are what we are sold as spruce although much darker than the US spruce in the 150% T Bird kit.
I have a choice of the K&B 20 Sportster or 20FP for power,the fuselage will be a slightly enlarged Slow 495.
The site is very quite at the moment so I suspect everyone is out enjoying the Northern summer and having a great time flying?

Phil  
RobinB
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2012, 06:02:31 AM »

Hi, Phil, nice to see someone's building something.

My '20 size' projects are waiting while I complete the models I still have on the go.

Have you compared those two engines for output? I'd be interested to know.

As to our northern 'summer' - it's like a rainy season at present!

Robin

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2012, 10:01:56 AM »

Hi Robin,
yesterday was meant to be our Escargot Trophy meet but it was blown out,gave me time to knock up a tank,I am using the K&B backplate mount it gives a bulkier nose than wood bearers but has the skid mount built in so I thought I would give it a go.

I have not run my K&B but my brothers pulled 15,600 on a APC 9x4 and 17600 on a 8x4 APC on 15%nitro.
I am suffering from a case of tachoitus at the moment with inconsistant readings,Mike Bielby says his stock 20FP was pulling 18,400 on a Supercool 8x4 carbon on 20%.

Phil
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2012, 03:33:55 AM »

Hi all,

well the wood work is all done just needs covering now,I moved the timer back a bay to give a better grip on the fuselage for hand starting if I use a OS 20FP diesel which is allowed under our rules.The 20FP with factory backplate mount and Davis head weighs the same as the K&B and is the same lenght from the mounting face to prop driver.
Full span 3/16 spruce spars so it won`t break any records for lightness plus a little mistake marking out the cut line on the wing diagonals put the join behind the spars instead of butting up to them so a little more glue there as well.

Phil
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2012, 11:01:37 AM »

Nice work Phil!
I was interested in your 'what we are sold as spruce' comment.
Yours looks like the stuff in my stash - most of which is probably 30+ years old - but which does seem stiffer than the pale stuff the local hobby store sells (yes, I still have a local hobby store, and not a bad one at that, certainly in the wood department - One Stop Hobbies, Abbotsford).

What will be your covering choice? I believe Clarkson is a tissue over mylar fan.
John

Gliders are a part of me.
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2012, 07:46:40 PM »

I have not progressed to using mylar yet so I will use heavy weight Polyspan/Aerospan with dope and proofer on the inners with Litespan on the tips,the tail is 20.2g before covering and is 31% of the wing area,I have a little Aerospan 25g/m sg left but was thinking of using blue Litespan that stands out well on the ground,the litespan should be ok with the full geo tailplane.

I had a local hobby shop but it shut down last week so my nearest is Ace Hobbies in Midland which is twenty minutes away.
I did a bendy test on the local spruce against the spruce I didn`t use from the 150% T Bird  kit and the darker local stuff is far stiffer using a simple load test,the local stuff is 15 thou thicker than the 0.120" US-possibly SIG stock so the test was not entirely fair,the darker spruce is also 30% heavier, I will sand  some down for a better comparison later.

John OSullivan in New rule E36 plane designs reply # 38 says the his local airbase at Shearwater Nova Scotia has been decomissioned so it looks like you guys have scored another free flight field

Phil
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:18:52 PM by Sandgroper » Logged
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2012, 01:30:30 PM »

Wonderful weekend. The locally revived Shearwater flying Club had a two day fly-in in perfect weather. Sorry if I am a bit off topic, but Sandgroper did mention Shearwater in Nova Scotia.
They have welcomed Free Flight at their field
John and Brian Richards turned up with an Al Wisher Wishbone (genuinely with markings from John's Coventry Club from the early 60's), a coup model, Dynamo 1/2A Power, a P30,   Senator and a Little Dip A/1.
Not were all flown, but they sure raised some eyebrows from the R/C guys, one of which asked what frequency we were on.
The site we were given was about a mile to the south of where the club was flying everything from park fliers to a number of jet turbine models.
There was no chance of conflict and the welcome we were given was overwhelming. This has given the impetus to restart our long defunct Condors Model Flying Club.
It shows that there need be no conflict between R/C and Free Flight.
I also had fun with my electric sailplanes and now have to get cracking on E36 Free Flight models.

Free Flight is returning to Nova Scotia Canada after a long absence.
Hope my 70+ year old legs will stand up to retrievals.

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2012, 07:24:44 PM »

Great to hear you had such a wonderful weekend John,flying with the RC guys is getting rare here nowadays.
All our "new" flyers have come back from the RC ranks,I still fly a little 1/2a Texaco & electric Old Timer RC using the same Coronet airframe.
We can retrieve by car in most of our paddocks-this kept Mike Bielby flying for years after he would otherwise given up FF because of his health problems and it saves the legs for the short trimming flights.
E36 looks like great fun the most expensive part is the timer,I have a Smoothie #7 but lots of new ones have come on the market since I bought it.

We have our annual George Fuller event this weekend if the weather permits, I will try to take a few snaps.

Cheers
Phil
John
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2012, 11:16:05 AM »

Hi John,

Not to worry I will help you retrieve and yes it was a good mornings flying, been a long time since I flew on an airfield or an A2, even though it was not that successful, a little rusty. Not sure if you took any photo's but would like to see them if you did. Now I have the space to trim my two F1B's that I bought last year and have not been out of the box yet, so look out Tony Matthews here I come, I am just kidding Tony.

Sorry all if this is off topic but I do have two Crescendo 62 (Ron Draper Designs) power models that are almost ready to be covered and now have a place that I can fly them.

Regards

John 

Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2012, 11:33:35 AM »

Did you feel me shakin' in me boots from there John? Grin

Tmat
-go John go!

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2012, 11:25:27 PM »

The George Fuller event was held on the 28th July but called off midway due to long retrieval times with the strenghtening winds.I had two maxs in the bag and was happy to go on but the event was posponed to Sunday 5th Aug and held along with trial events for Nostalga and F1Q,lucky for me my John West 10FP Dixielander was in fine tune and only dropped one max to take out the five flight Fuller event.
Ian Dixon with a CS Oliver powered Swiss Miss kept us entertained in Nostalga with a minute plus over run as did Chris Behrs efforts trimming the Zoot Suit,Greg McClure also managed some fine flights with his OS15Max11 Dreamweaver.
My Dixie had a close call when the fuel cutoff failing to work due to sand in the shutoff,the climb was a little left and soon developed into a verticle dive by the 15 second mark- luckily it was saved by the 8cc tank running out of fuel and the Dixie pulled out for a 90 sec glide and a attempt.
The Slow 525 was ready to trim but by the time the contest had finished the wind had risen and I left it for a better day.
The all up weight is 23oz complete with 10g tail weight, the factory engine mount had to be replaced with a alloy plate to move the engine back before resorting to a bean sinker to get the CG correct.The flag added 2g to the 30.8g tailplane.
So anyone out there with a tail heavy problem with their SLOP please consider a K&B 20 Sportster the cure for all tail heaviness.

Cheers Phil
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »

Something you can do with the K&B`s big fat mounting lugs when not using them-drill one out and fit the plunger and spring from a TT cutoff .
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2012, 08:44:26 AM »

Sunday had glorious mid winter weather and we made the trip to Meckering for the Escargot Trophy SLOP and the Colin Crowley Cup F1B events.Thermal activity was light and patchey with light winds -most flights landing in our new flying paddock with some maxs landing within meters of the launch point.

Escargot Trophy results.5 x 180 sec Max

1)Rod McDonald,score 855 secs,model OS 20FP Maverick.
2)Philip Letchford,score 741,OS10FP Dixielander.
3)Colin Crowley ,score 673,OS15LA Uranus.
4)Ryan Sherburn,score 668,OS15LA Maverick.
5)Mark Sherburn,score 654,OS15 LA Maverick and 15LA own design.

Chris Behr won F1B with a score of 685 with Paul Rossiter in second with 657 secs after having two flights dt early at 45 seconds,Rod McDonald dusted off one of his old models tied some knots in the old rubber and made one flight of 111 secs.

After the events we all had time for some test flying,the Sherburns went off flying their F1A`s and I got to test fly the Slow 525.
The K&B 20 is user friendly,starts well and warms up fast,first flight turned right and levelled off before its 3 sec cut,adding a 1/16"x3/4x1/2" balsa to the LH side of the fin made a little difference to the next flight and a 3/4x1/2 "x 1/8 thick piece of TE also made a further improvement on the next flight.Adding 2 deg of left thrust helped a little but the biggest improvement was made by sticking a 4 inch long piece of 3/4"x1/4"TE stock under the TE next to the right main/tip dihedral joint-making up for the small amount of wash in (4mm) built in.Feeling lucky I leaned the engine out and gave it a second more run,all went well with the nose pointing where it should be.
After the DT landing a large tear had appeared in the polyspan next to the center dihedral joint,closer inspection showed the 2mm ply dihedral keeper had broken at the center joint so testing had to stop for the Slow 525.

Another model waiting a test flight was the ex Bielby T34 re-engined with a 20FP diesel,after a few good flights with increasing lenght runs and a few glides I was happy with it and put it away.Mike was up there for the day and was not impressed saying the model climbed far better with the glow 20FP.

Happy flying

Phil
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:38:12 AM by Sandgroper » Logged
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2012, 11:33:20 PM »

Seeing as its been mentioned several times in passing, here's another take on the T-34-the 1.5cc version, built from Dave Hipperson's own drawings and to the best of my knowledge the only other one in existence apart from his two originals since this drawing was never published. Dave-whom I correspond with on a regular basis-also mentioned in one of his letters that all 3 sizes (1/2A, .09 and .21 size) of T-34 are different-they are not the same design scaled up and down proportionately.
    The full size one still only exists as a few components in my building list-but I have a Hipperson FORA 21 to put up front of it-a wedding present (along with a pound of good FAI rubber).........now that's a real modelling mate...........

ChrisM
  ffkiwi
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2012, 06:56:01 PM »

Hippo resized the T34 to suit 1.5cc motors for the Brit Power class (diesels only), and his used an AM 15. A small 3 view with full sized ribs and some build information was published in the Winter 2002 NAFF News. I have to say that the 1/2 A version  looks ripe for conversion to E36 - not another one on the list Roll Eyes

Peter
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: