Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 26, 2019, 10:06:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walt Mooney Hyannis Helio Build  (Read 1502 times)
scigs30
Gold Member

Kudos: 65

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2015, 11:35:16 PM »

I was at the AMA convention on Friday and was impressed by the Black Sheep Squadron Freeflight booth.  A talented builder by the name of Don had his builds on display and they looked so good, a work of art.  His builds were clean, when I asked what glue he used, I was surprised when he told me BSI Medium CA. I have never been a fan of building with CA due to price and the fact that I would make a mess and glue everything except the parts.  After talking with Don I came home and decided to give this CA a try on a Bostonian for the annual 4th of July contest held in San Diego.  I did not bother with thin CA because well it is messy and I have never been impressed with it other than repairs. Also instead of putting glue on the piece and attaching I placed the part then added a small amount of glue with a small CA applicator.  This worked out well and made for clean joints, and I had no issues.  Also I get a little stuffy when working with CA so I used a small fan over the building table to assist.  This may be my only build with CA, but it is good to know that if I get far behind on my builds I can catch up with CA glue.  Ok, back to Elmers Glue All.
This Bostonian has always been one of my favorites, I still remember seeing Walt with his back in the 80s and I thought it looked so cool.  I tried to build it back when I was starting out but the wing kicked my butt.  This time it went together pretty easy, using CA I built the entire frame in 14 hours, day in half.
I will attach a picture of Walts actual build at the San Carlos Gym back in the 80s.  Like I said this will be flown in the Mooney 4th of July contest so I may hold off on covering until the time gets closer.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Walt Mooney Hyannis Helio Build
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 11:39:04 PM »

Some more pictures
Re: Walt Mooney Hyannis Helio Build
woodemt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 06:30:11 PM »

I built this model and I still have it intact.  Even though the fuselage was curved on one side, it was the first after 29-30 yrs., it still flew. Maybe one day I'll build another, without the banana shaped fuse.
dorme
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 11:33:34 PM »

Great flyer either indoors or out.  My first one came out at under 14 grms.  The second one is 16 grams.  I built it a little stronger due to the damage the other suffered from having too much light wt. balsa.  
As far as the CA, I use thin CA and apply it by using a sewing needle with the "loop" cut in half and the pointy end put in a 1/4' dowel.  Now I just dip it in a puddle of CA and apply it to the joint.  It wicks in and you don't end up with gobs of it at the joints (which is useless and impossible to sand).  Use this method and you will find that the weight will be less than Ambroid and you will have a strong and good looking structure. BTW, if you need to separate the joint, use Acetone.
Your craft looks good!  Time to get some tissue on this beast and get 'er flyin'.
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 09:10:54 AM »

Hi Scigs
As usual, a high quality build.  I wanted to thank you for posting the photos of Mooney's model.   It's pretty cool to see a photo of his stuff that is not in a magazine or a PDF.  Brings it a little closer. 

Regards
Kevin
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 11:38:30 PM »

I covered my Bostonian, just have to dope and put together.  I applied the tissue with 50/50 Elmer's water and shrunk with water with parts pinned down.   The wing was a little challenging but a fun job to cover.  I will print up some decals to match Mooneys plane.
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 10:30:02 PM »

I finished my Walt Mooney Bostonian, cannot wait to fly her. I covered with Esaki tissue attached with 50/50 water/Elmers glue, shrunk with water and 2 coats of Aerogloss Dope. I made the decals to match the ones from Walts picture.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 07:03:38 PM »

Please tell me what issue of Model Builder has this plan and article.
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 07:42:38 PM »

The plan says June of 1982. It is available on outerzone

ian
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 04:50:12 AM »

Hi Scigs - I thought I knew all of the Mooney plans - I've never seen this one. Thanks. Nice build.
Tim

Tim
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 02:09:03 PM »

The plans for the Mooney Hyannis Helio and the Revere Speedster (both Bostonians) are in the Jan/Feb 2019 NFFS Digest. Candidates for the special Mooney Bostonian event at the 2019 AMA Indoor Nats.

Norm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: