Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 14, 2019, 07:10:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bostonian Bede BD5  (Read 9579 times)
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 12:32:16 PM »

Yak52,

The BD5 is progressing nicely.  I am definitely going to have to build one....I'm in Texarkana, TX now and am getting settled.  No building space yet, but soon.  Snowed last night so the ground and bushes are covered in snow...just a couple of inches.  Not suppose to last.  For a guy from California it's a bit cold Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue  Definitely building season here! Wink

Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 66

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 12:52:19 PM »

Glad you're getting sorted Tom.

The wing on the BD5 is largely self-explanatory. The dihedral is 1" per side and the root ribs are at an angle set by the dihedral templeate. The spars and LE are cracked and glued and the TE is notched to accept the ribs. The spars are only glued in on the second side once the dihedral is set up.

Weight of the wing is 1.57g.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Bostonian Bede BD5
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 12:59:53 PM »

The nose block is laminated from 3 sheets of 3/16". In actual fact I used two light pieces of 1/4" capped with some hard 1/16 sheet, which should be a bit tougher for when it clobbers the wall  Undecided

The wheels are laminated from two sheets of 3/32" and cut with my olfa compass cutter. I couldn't get on with this at first but I've finally sussed out how to use it. I found the point just ripping along the grain and ending up with big ovals. I now layer a few bits of masking tape to stick the point through (the disk that comes with it wasn't much help.) And then it's just a case of not cutting too hard and doing lots of turns. And turning it with the top bit between finger and thumb for minimum torque at the pointy end.

The wheels aren't finished yet: at some point I'll turn them on a power drill...
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »

The wire was bent for the UC... which meant it was time for a few bones shots  Smiley
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 01:07:02 PM »

And a few close ups...

It still needs a few details finishing (wheels and UC fittings) but the weight so far is 8.2g, 2g of which is the UC wire. It's going to be tight to hit 14g with the large windows, prop and covering... The CG is currently about 50-60%.
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 01:54:15 PM »

Jon,

Loved the additional pics here...looking terrific...can't wait to see it with "skin" on... Grin Cool

Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 02:44:52 PM »

Very tidy build Jon  Smiley

Hope to see it at Impington?

Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »

Thanks Tom!

Hope so Russ! Got to finish it first...  Grin
You planning to be there?
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2012, 03:58:55 PM »

Jon,

Last October was the first Impington I've missed in years ... hopefully I will not miss another!
Have you been there before? I am usually late to any meeting that starts in the morning, but it is best to get there early ... a very popular meeting if you haven't been before.
I need a new Bostonian for the event . Whether I will get the chance though ......
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2012, 06:07:46 PM »

No, it'll be my first time Smiley What about a Gyminnie Cricket?  Grin
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 07:16:06 PM »

It would have to be a new Gyminnie Cricket ... my old one got very tatty very quickly.
I covered it in my shed thinking it was reasonably dry .... but when I got it to a Nottingham Indoor the tissues started shrinking that much I had to cut it to stop damage!
I re-covered the wing at the meeting and got it flying reasonably, but it looks a bit of a mess.
I think I still have another kit for the Cricket so I might just get one ready. It would have to be trimmed for tighter circles than my last one though ... Impington is only about 50' wide, but with tables all around the perimeter. Always be prepared for a little 'carnage' at Impington!
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2012, 04:13:18 PM »

Well I've started to think about the prop  Shocked

I'd welcome any input or experience. I'm trying to decide which way to make it turn. In some ways anticlockwise (looking forwards) would be convenient as I usually wind clockwise. I'm not sure if that makes it right or left handed with a pusher? Huh

I'm also wondering about 'torque' effects? I'd imagine that the above set up would induce a right turn. Although there should be less effect from the helical swirl of the slipstream over the fuselage and fin on a pusher?

I'm prepared to try it and make adjustments but I'd like to work it out too if possible. For one reason, I intend to build in washin into the inner wing, so making it turn predictably is important.

Jon
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2012, 06:07:05 PM »

Thats a really nice  set of bones, Jon. I'm waiting almost patiently for the skin and glazing.  It's not every day you see a nice little pusher.
I would think that it is probably best to choose the propeller rotation to suit your winding methods/winder, and then trim the model to suit. I can't imagine either direction having an advantage for trim, over the other.
Would Gurney flaps on the wing be better than built in wash in Jon as the best turn direction under power is still in question?
I think I would favour turning against the torque - but this may require far too much side thrust and I don't have enough experience in this area.
John
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 06:37:39 AM »

Thanks John. I think I've now established that a left-handed pusher prop (anti-clockwise looking forward) will want to yaw the nose right due to 'P' effect and torque will make it drop the right wing. So it should be the opposite effect of a standard right-handed tractor prop.

I think the idea of trim tabs is probably wise  Grin

I've flown both with and against the torque outside but I've had a bit of success flying left hand circuits indoor - ie with the torque. I think this is normal but I'm not sure of the sidethrust other people use indoors? The problem is what happens as the motor runs down and the prop effects drop off - the model either opens up the circle and clobbers the wall or drops the inner wing. Not sure what the best way of dealing with this is yet... I'm a bit of an indoor rookie...

Jon
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »

Good to meet you on Saturday Jon  Smiley

Looking forward to seeing the Bede ... I'm sure it will be a super crisp build like the models you had with you at the weekend.

Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2012, 04:36:53 PM »

Likewise Russ! And I never got to say congrats on your win  Grin
lplanetta
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 12:10:10 PM »

Yak52, what great work on your BD5.  The BD5 has always been one of my favs.  Any possibility of getting a copy of your plans to build my own?

Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2012, 06:26:08 AM »

Hi, sure no problem. I'm planning to annotate/adjust it and scan it once I'm happy with the prototype, then I'll upload it to the plans gallery at some point.
TimH

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2012, 10:33:26 PM »

I never got to say congrats on your win 

Sorry for the thread hijack Jon, but we need details. What did Russ win? What time did he manage? The public want to know Grin

Tim Wink
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2012, 08:56:01 AM »

He won the Gyminie Crickets at Bushfield, 1 minute 10 if I recall correctly  Grin
TimH

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 04:51:21 PM »

Well done Russ  Grin Grin Grin
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2012, 06:47:23 PM »

A late thank you Jon and Tim ... I only scraped away from the chasing pack by a second to be honest. This pack included juniors and a FF novice ... I think this was better to see than my cricket juddering it's unbalanced way around the room! I got the same performance at the small hall at Impington too, but this time I was relegated to about mid field. I think one model comps are good for testing your methods ... there was another today at Nottingham for Hanger Rats ... but I won't take up you thread any more Jon (I will be posting a few shots soon elsewhere I hope)
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2012, 06:10:05 AM »

I've remade the undercarriage from 22 SWG wire - the previous one was 20 SWG and was a bit overkill. It also didn't fit in the tube hubs of the wheels Id made  Cheesy I've now found the perfect combo of 22 guage wire and alloy tube. The fit is slightly loose but they spin nicely.

The wheels are light balsa and weigh 0.25g each. The new wire UC weighs 0.83g as opposed to the previous one's 1.21g. The whole lot weighs 1.6g. I'm just deciding whether to glue the UC into the nose and wing before covering or whether I should create the slots and CA them in afterwards...

The plan is to adjust the angle in the nosegear to set the right attitude for ROG.

Jon
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2012, 07:43:35 AM »

I've been doing lots of fiddly bits and bobs, adding gussets to the wing, building the slots that take the undercarriage wires, sealing and sanding...

The UC slots in and is removeable. It's a tightish fit but I will likely bleed in some CA when it's flown and trimmed out. The pins holding the slot open while gluing are just abit thinner than the wire so the fit is secure. Clearance for the prop is half an inch (at rest) so I'll probably need to bend the main gear wires down to increase this for ROG, depending on how it behaves.

I've also added some small 1/32 strip doublers to the inside of the fuselage. This was a weak spot where any pressure tended to crack the glue joints either side of the main longeron. It's now much stiffer.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:09:50 AM by Yak52 » Logged
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2012, 09:08:20 AM »

Anyway, I now have the woody bits virtually finished and I'm about to start covering... so here's an 'official' bones shot or two... The weight is now 8.1g after sanding, sealing and the new UC.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: