Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 23, 2019, 07:35:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wellington in the plans gallery  (Read 190 times)
GeoffinIN
Gold Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2019, 08:04:54 PM »

Does anyone have any information on the Astral model aeroplane company in the UK?  They produced the Wellington in the plans gallery, but there's nothing on the plan to indicate what kit number it was, or if a copy of the kit might be available somewhere.  The plan leaves a lot to the imagination, and I'd like to fill in the blanks if possible!

TIA,

Geoff Sanders
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 05:46:48 AM »

Nothing useful but I well remember the kits and pretty sure they did a Wellington.  Complex designs send no detergent.  I have an idea too that people like Boys and Towner had their designs kitted by Astral.  I will have a think and a rummage and see if anything useful turns up.

PS The Towner plan is on Outerzone - how does that compare?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 06:12:56 AM »

Geoff, it's also on this site: http://www.model-plans.co.uk/astral.htm (along with some others.)
GeoffinIN
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 09:00:19 AM »

Pete, that's the site that led me to believe that the Towner-designed Wellington was an Astral kit!  Thanks!

I've begun building one (I had Ratz blow it up by 25%, to 40" span) but am unsure of some details in order to accurately duplicate his original design.
I suppose it really doesn't matter, but it would nevertheless be nice to know Towner's intentions.  And could his rubber motor setup have worked?  I really
doubt it!

Geoff

PS: Applause for Ratz's excellent clean-up of the quite distorted plan!  Great job.
Pinto
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 09:37:42 AM »

No it is not a true Astral kit design.
Harold Towner did several designs in the 1970s in a similar style to the wartime Astral kit designs and this is one of them.
Doug Mchard did build several of the Astral twins over the years and were featured in the Aeromdeller Magazine.
But the problem with the V drive was that the motors would tend to bind in the restricted wing space causing uneven
thrust and model droping a wing left or right with no consistant flight pattern.

Chris
GeoffinIN
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 08:20:10 PM »

Thanks, Chris.  That's what I would expect with such an insane skewing of the rubber.  I'll use little plastic bevel gears to permit the rubber to run straight.  Since I don't fly in contests, nobody's going to say I cant!

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: