Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 07, 2019, 06:45:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pacific Ace angles?  (Read 503 times)
PETERRAKE
OOS, October 2018
Bronze Member

Kudos: 9

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2018, 06:58:19 AM »

Currently I'm in the process of scaling the Pacific Ace to around 18" span (because that's the size I want to build it) but tracing the scan in CAD is showing up a few strange points with regards wing and tail angles. Measured along the flat, lower surface both are showing up at zero degrees and that just doesn't sound right to me. Even my radio models have 1 degree + on the flat bottom of the wing and I thought rubber models had quite a bit more than that.
Does anyone here, who's built a Pacific Ace, know roughly what angles they ended up with? Even the angles used on similar models would be of help.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Pete

Peter Rake UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 03:59:12 PM »

Hi Peter,
With the upsweep at the leading edge (lower surface of the wing) the effective incidence angle of the wing is positive. That is to say, one shouldn't just look at the portion of flat lower wing surface.
That said, as I have an un-built Pacific Ace kit (and thus the plan) it does look a bit marginal to my eye. A degree or two of negative at the tail might not be a bad idea. This would be easier than changing the angle of the wing, with the cabin, and all.

John

Gliders are a part of me.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 41

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 04:04:21 PM »

Check here for some comments on this, starting with reply #12: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=22193.msg209273

PETERRAKE
OOS, October 2018
Bronze Member

Kudos: 9

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 07:07:06 PM »

Thanks guys, that pretty much confirms what I've seen elsewhere.  Bearing everything in mind, I'll set it up as I normally would and trim from there using thrust lines and elevator - both elevators and rudder will be hinged.

Pete

Peter Rake UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: