Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 29, 2020, 03:10:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WHATS THIS LEFT GLIDE STUFF???????  (Read 356 times)
riversidedan
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2020, 06:21:55 PM »

Have seen couple things about a left glide and dont get it>>>>>>>>so we know power trim the block is shimmed right along with some right rudder forcing the model to wind up CW , fine..........so whats the deal with the glide trim going left, how is that done??

>>>>>>>>>>Respectful replys required

CAUTION!! politicians may be harmful to your health
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 06:52:53 PM »

Left tilt on stab.
Left rudder.
Equal warps on both sides of wing.
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 06:46:34 AM »

In this situation you are looking at -effectively-crossed controls....R-L trim on a rubber model is essentially achieved by setting a left glide turn by rudder and or tail tilt-and then overiding this during the power phase by quite a bit of right thrust...more right thrust than would be used for a R-R trim setup.  This can often give a very impressive tight right spiral climb under power-but does eat up a bit more sky on the transition...and can result-if you're unlucky-of the model flying out of the lift you put it in on launch...(equally it could glide into the very lift you MISSED on launch...)

As gossie noted-you do not want differential wing warp with this trim-the usual washin on the right inner panel for R-R trim will spiral you in on the glide if used on a R-L trim model. The R-L trim does NOT require washin-as the model is trying to turn left even under power-but being held right by the right thrust-this combination of opposing forces keeps the right wing up on the climb....

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 07:46:25 AM »

There are a couple of good articles on the National Free Flight Society web site. Go to free flight.org> library> technical library> "Trim RR vs RL" by Jim O'Reilly.  Another good one is "Trimming, the Effect of Speed".

Print both of these out and take to the field when adjusting model.

Louis

PS  To repeat what others have said, you really need a DT on any free flight model. The ideal set up is RDT (remote dethermalizer) which allows you to terminate flight at any time. It will keep you and your model out of the corn.
riversidedan
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 08:06:07 PM »

read the article that explained its purpose but didnt really tell ya exactly how to do it.......seeing as thiers no one around here and the club around here isnt active so we need a step X step on how too.if we missed something and you can be respectful then go ahead and reply

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 09:17:33 PM by riversidedan » Logged

CAUTION!! politicians may be harmful to your health
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 10:51:24 PM »

Chris whom I know, and I have told you what to do and gave you a choice of right right or right left.
What more can we tell you?
Viperkite
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 02:41:54 AM »

I had a model that flew straight in the glide (ended up in a tree), so I just fitted a right hand trim tab on the fin and now it flies right/right. Some models just choose their own way to go.
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 04:01:00 AM »

My E-36 model "Puzzle" has rather conventional layout, but sub-fine below the tailplane. For one reason or the other, the model (or actually both, as I have built two) wants to glide to the left, despite ordinary right hand climb. So I let it go that way, with slight tail tilt to adjust the glide turn (rudder is straight, right wing has slight wash-in, and motor has ever so slight thrust to the left, which I adjust for climb turn). When the model was new, I tried to make it glide to the right, with huge amounts of tail tilt. Not pretty!
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 05:15:49 AM »

Here is a copy of what I put on your "Korda..." thread. I don't know what else we can tell you.
Use low power flights to trim the glide. Use rudder and/or tail tilt to get a good lefft turn. Then as you increase the number of turns on your motor use side thrust and if necessary down thrust to get a good right turning climb.
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: