Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 18, 2019, 06:40:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thrust Adjustments On Small Rubber Planes  (Read 196 times)
OneArm
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2019, 07:26:50 AM »

Hi All,

Trying to find a good way to make thrust adjustments on small jobs like Prairie Birds, 24" high wing sport models, etc. I'm hesitant to glue in my adjustments with cyano, glue stick doesn't seem to hold the shims on well enough and I have a hard time getting thin sections of masking tape to stick. I feel that if I could get this sorted, I could get in some good flights with minimal trimming time. Thanks everyone
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 09:49:38 AM »

Have you seen the K&P adjustable nose button?  A quick Google search will yield illustrated descriptions/instructions. I've not used one, it looks good "in theory" but may be a bit fiddly, and I don't know about durability. An eccentric adjustment nut allow combinations of side and up/down thrust.  Volare Products may still sell them...

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 11:41:16 AM »

They are a little fiddly but work very well. And much neater than shims
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 12:55:09 PM »

If you fancy a DIY solution and have time to spare then this is what I've used on my 16" span VMC Sopwith Camel.  As pictured it gives up to about 6 degrees down-thrust and the same again for right.  See if you can guess which pic is which. Smiley

Nose plug is nominal 12mm square, Three 1/16" laminations.  Started out with three ply, but in the final incarnation only the top lam. is ply.  The brasswork is 16 thou. The backing plate is epoxied to the ply with a verrrryyy thin smear and when you've worked out what sort of thrust line is required you can file off the unnecessary bits of the backing plate to reduce weight.  

It takes less than an hour to cut and file the brasswork to size.  You will probably need a dremel or similar for the pilot holes though.  I couldn't get anywhere with a pin chuck.

The hardest part of the exercise is finding a small enough screw to hold the adjuster firmly.  I make a point of stripping down dead electrical bits and bobs (mice &tc) before they get slung in the recycling as these are a good source of tiny screws.

As it happens the Camel needs more down-thrust than the 5 or 6 degrees this gives so I'm going to have to re-fettle it, but the adjuster stays in place without additional screws when used with a 10" or so 4 strand 3/32" motor. Might need to use a dod of epoxy or another screw to brace the adjuster if you've got a beefy motor.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Thrust Adjustments On Small Rubber Planes
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 01:28:31 PM »

They are a little fiddly but work very well. And much neater than shims

I agree, very useful item. If you go that route, make sure you download the adjustment table which takes the guesswork out to a great degree. If needed I can dig it out and post here.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 02:48:51 PM »

Ates, thanks for that reminder about the setup chart. Even tho' Rockytop Models is gone, their website with info is still maintained. Here's a link to the K&P nose button tech info.

https://www.rockytopmodels.com/kp-001_details.htm

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Today at 02:35:21 PM »

Gizmo Geezer makes an adjustable nose button. Volare lists them in their on line catalog. I imagine some other vendors do as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: