Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 24, 2022, 07:58:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Electric chase bikes  (Read 312 times)
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2022, 02:09:47 PM »

In the last few weeks, there were a few posts about electric chase bikes.  I'm beginning to come around to the concept.  Anyone out there in Hip-Pocket-Land have any experience or recommendations?
dorme
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 03:34:19 PM »

I've been using electric bikes for over 5 yrs now.  Started with some Chinese ones through Walmart and have ended up with an American made one called RAD.  I have a friend who recently bought an Electric Bike (that's the name of the company- Electric Bike) .  It's folding and he's very happy with it.  There are many manufacturers now so you will have your choices. I can't use a golf cart as it throws my back out at some of the fields.  No suspension. The electric bike works well and it's easy enough to create a box to carry your plane.

Many use gas powered minibikes but they can run into the thousands.  Most electric bikes can be had new for under 2K.  Oh, and by the way,  I can easily travel for the day at a venue and then charge overnight, if I have to.

The rack for carrying a single electric can be a rack for carrying 2 standard bikes. 
Stan
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 05:23:47 PM »

Get a step thru, rather than having to swing your leg over the saddle.
Make sure it is an offroad version with lots of suspension.
flyfac
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 05:49:48 PM »

In the last few weeks, there were a few posts about electric chase bikes.  I'm beginning to come around to the concept.  Anyone out there in Hip-Pocket-Land have any experience or recommendations?

Tom Hallman is a recent convert--his ebike is appearing prominently in som of the recent vids he's posted to his YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw4SSoZwMcQ

Scot Dobberfuhl
Forest Grove, OR
che
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 04:46:26 AM »

I bought one earlier this year for use in the UK and Scotland. I got a TREK TM1+ stepthro(u)gh with Bosch Active drive and a larger battery - it was previously enjoyed.

It's been superb from the very first ride. Even on low 'assist' settings it makes a big difference to the amount of effort a knackered old FF'er needs to use to retrieve a model. The range on the low setting is ~80 miles and after 3 contests I still haven't needed to charge it. The Bosch drive unit is available on many electric bikes and works extremely well - highly recommended.

But there is HUGE issue, that is how do I tell my old folding bike that I bought aged about 18, and that's been through hell and back with me over about 40 years, that it's days are over. I'm sobbing just thinking about it.............

CHE
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 04:59:30 AM »

Give it ot the chickens to play with.
I suppose, in real terms, your new bike is not that much more expensive than the old one 40 yaers ago!
Ron
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Kudos: 38

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 05:18:41 AM »

Just if somene would design a (compact) electric snow scooter... that would be handy in Finnish winter conditions!
VictorY
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 07:45:55 AM »

So far my Himiway Cruiser was a great purchase. The programming is highly flexible so you have a lot of control over the pedal assist features and it's got crazy amounts of torque for an off the shelf hub motor bike. With up to 9 pedal assist levels and control over the motor output at each level, you can have a bike that will creep along through the brush at one or two miles an hour in first gear, or crank up the settings and blast along flat stretches at over 30 on motor only. The mid drive units like the Bosch are nice but that usually adds another $1000 or more to the price.

Not sure about the other bikes but having the ability to use throttle without needing to pedal is also a bonus in my book, especially when getting rolling from a stop.

The right bike really depends on where you plan on riding and what your budget is.
VictorY
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2022, 07:53:58 AM »

Just if somene would design a (compact) electric snow scooter... that would be handy in Finnish winter conditions!

Sounds like a job for a fossil fuel powered vehicle. Lots of torque needed to fight deep snow. Electrics have torque but it is a real drain on range.
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 08:48:18 AM »

Just for grins, where is the Himiway made?
msc
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 09:08:06 AM »

There are several companies offering retrofit parts and kits to convert your favorite mountain bike to electric. Plenty of options for motors, controllers, and battery packs. I know a couple people who have built up e-bikes this way.

Mike
gman
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 09:24:37 AM »

There are several companies offering retrofit parts and kits to convert your favorite mountain bike to electric. Plenty of options for motors, controllers, and battery packs. I know a couple people who have built up e-bikes this way.

Mike
I used a company named Swytch in the UK for a front hub motor conversion of my "hybrid" bike. It cost me just shy of £500 complete and a couple of hours to fit. It makes easy work of a day on runways, peri-tracks, and short grass. But it's not an all-terrain bike and I don't know how successful powering the front wheel would be for such use. All the bits made in China of course.
Gavin
VictorY
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 10:58:20 AM »

Just for grins, where is the Himiway made?

As far as I know, all E-bike components are made in China. Some are assembled in the destination country, but the Himiway ships almost completely assembled in one big box. Takes less than an hour to make ready. Check your country for distribution. They used to ship direct from China but now have some distribution centers to speed up shipping
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: