Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 19, 2019, 11:22:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show Your Newest Creation  (Read 91247 times)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1100 on: July 29, 2017, 12:03:31 PM »

This little glider was published by Wordguy and is in the gallery. One hour! It's in pieces because it has to go in a suitcase to a grandchild in Mallorca, and will be assembled on site, like an Airbus, for him to throw into a tree.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show Your Newest Creation
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #1101 on: July 29, 2017, 12:07:23 PM »

PS my only photo of this full size Caproni
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 127

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #1102 on: August 10, 2017, 10:40:30 AM »

I didn't build these, but here are a couple of old timer gliders that I got today from Ronald Borg from Sweden Smiley.

The first pic is the BG-44 by Bora-Gunic which won the 1952 WC in Graz (A2 class).  Wingspan is 1668mm

Second is the UPPÅT, an old Swedish design by Rob. Lőwen-Åberg - not sure of the date.  Span 1500mm (A1 class)

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #1103 on: August 10, 2017, 01:08:10 PM »

Hi All,
I am currently working on a plan. I will have access to a good quality laser cutter in the future and so I am planning to start a little kit business. This will be the first kit on offer. Mr Mulligan in 24inch size. Still a fair bit to do and presumably some learning to do when I try to cut the parts and do the first assemblies but I will get there eventually.

BG

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #1104 on: August 15, 2017, 11:24:17 AM »

Nice!!

Dan.
Mugs914
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1105 on: August 22, 2017, 02:03:17 PM »

Hi All,
I am currently working on a plan. I will have access to a good quality laser cutter in the future and so I am planning to start a little kit business. This will be the first kit on offer. Mr Mulligan in 24inch size. Still a fair bit to do and presumably some learning to do when I try to cut the parts and do the first assemblies but I will get there eventually.

BG

Nice BG! Please keep us apprised of your progress on this one. As a real Mister Mulligan I heartily approve of your choice of subject!

Mike Mulligan
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #1106 on: August 22, 2017, 04:19:26 PM »

Biggles is in the mess, kicking his heels with Algy and Ginger waiting for the poor flying weather to break....

Not sure I can claim this as my creation cos I didn't design it but I did build it (and a good time was had by all). VMC's Sopwith F1.  Still waiting flight trials; weather here rubbish.

It's finished in Habitat (IKEA for younger readers) trim i.e. unpainted struts. Smiley

Sorry about the links haven't yet worked out how to create small thumbnails from 3MB image files - and me a programmer of over 30 years standing too - will update this post when I have done.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/36571398722/in/album-72157683218588084/

Whole sorry story here :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157683218588084/page1

Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #1107 on: August 23, 2017, 02:44:00 AM »

Most excellent procrastination Lurker!  Grin

Your Camel entirely qualifies for the VMC Cookup:  http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=21362.0

Re re-sizing, your computer's image browser will have a menu-option to re-size, and also automatic exposure correction.  Piccies below show what I normally do (using Preview on a Mac).  For this I've chosen a random image that is too big, and also too dark as the camera's automatic but dumb exposure setting assumed an average mid-grey tone, whereas in real life the composition was in fact overall slightly lighter than this.

Pic 1. Select TOOLS -> ADJUST COLOUR
Pic 2. Click AUTO LEVELS (This usually sorts out the exposure and sometimes brightens the colours, but you can experiment with other sliders.)
Pic 3. Much better exposure!  The almost-whites are now correctly almost-white, rather than murky dark white, while the blacks are still black.

Pic 4. Select TOOLS -> ADJUST SIZE
Pic 5. Shows original image size (even at 72 pixels/inch still way too big for HPA's 400 KB limit)
Pic 6. Changed to 40cm wide x 30cm high (my usual choice for full frame viewing on a laptop)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 03:28:01 AM by Jack Plane » Logged
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

Ignore
« Reply #1108 on: August 23, 2017, 02:50:39 AM »

Looks really good!  Nice work.

If you have a PC open your pictures in paint, scale them to around 20% and save them.  They will come out around the 200-300k from a 3Mb file...

Andrew

Klunk
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1109 on: August 23, 2017, 01:46:51 PM »

Quote from: Jack Plane
Most excellent procrastination Lurker! 
Your Camel entirely qualifies for the VMC Cookup....
Thanks, but the pictures don't show the inevitable flaws.  I've been keeping half an eye on the cook-up and I reckon the quality of the builds there are way out of my league and I wouldn't want to lower the tone.

Quote from: Andrew Darby
Looks really good!  Nice work.
I refer the Hon. Gentleman to my earlier reply to the Hon. Jack P. above Smiley

Quote from: Andrew Darby
If you have a PC open your pictures in paint, scale them to around 20%...
Ooh. Too easy.  Now I've got no excuse to sit down and knock up a small utility to do the job for me. Or haven't I? Hmm.... Until I get around to doing that though I've adopted your suggestion.  However the scaled images will have to go here as I can't go back and edit my last post.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1110 on: August 23, 2017, 05:04:58 PM »

Grin  watch this space i'm doing a comet p40 at 150% so it will have a 27 inch span

jim Grin
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1111 on: August 24, 2017, 02:03:17 AM »

Thanks, but the pictures don't show the inevitable flaws.  I've been keeping half an eye on the cook-up and I reckon the quality of the builds there are way out of my league and I wouldn't want to lower the tone.

Yes, you're a disgrace to the entire aero-modelling community!  Grin

I'm curious however about your 'steam-box' - were you trying to shrink bones, or was this for the covered components?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 117

Ignore
« Reply #1112 on: August 24, 2017, 07:19:22 AM »

Very nice, Lurker, but please get this fine Camel over to Roman's VMC cookup where it belongs! We haven't got one there yet.
 (And unless you've got some proper botches to show us or have had to re-cover your tailplane at least three times, don't give us any guff about the build quality there being "out of your league."  Grin)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #1113 on: August 24, 2017, 08:51:52 AM »

Bernard, practical choice to pick the Mulligan as your first production run. Markings will be easy to do for guys who wanna print tissue since the thing is all white, and it's an easy one to fly. Not to go for a spoiler, do you care to divulge how you are gonna approach that charismatic cowling? The Gulf logo could be done as a pressure sensitive. I have been making Esaki pressure sensitive markings that really don't look like "stickers" Anyway, whatever. Good Luck on this venture!

The Threadkiller!
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1114 on: August 24, 2017, 03:26:59 PM »

Quote from: Jack Plane
I'm curious however about your 'steam-box' - were you trying to shrink bones, or was this for the covered components?
It was an idea I had to see if I could avoid scalding myself over an open kettle when getting warps out of wings.  It sort of works, but it's difficult to judge when the item has had enough steam so I've resigned myself to getting scalded - it's for the greater good you know.

Quote from: Pete Fardell
...over to Roman's VMC cookup
Ahh, but I wasn't in from the beginning and it'd be gate-crashing. Smiley

Quote from: Pete Fardell
...unless you've got some proper botches to show...
  • Doesn't show up well in the pictures, but stretch marks in the two leading panels right at the wing roots.
  • Stabiliser is PC10 top and bottom not PC10/CDL.  It'll get re-covered after any hedge landing.
  • There's an infuriating film dab of PVA on the stbd rear stringers about half way down. A moment's inattention when fitting the last paper pattern.
  • Didn't get laminations completely out of the engine cowling.  If you zoom in on the images hosted on Flickr you can see it fairly clearly.
  • The upper wing window was cut 1mm too long and I didn't get the cyano all the way to the edge.  Obvious in the pictures if you look for it.
     Of course the lower window went on perfectly.
  • Had to reposition the windscreen cos I'm a ham-fisted clot so marks in the tissue just in front of that.
  • The identification number is at the wrong angle, both sides.
  • There's a concavity both sides in the upper quadrant coverings just aft of the nose block - no idea why - and a dent in the fuselage covering port side.  You can see these in the close view of the cockpit
  • This is picky I know,   but some of the tissue edges, on the upper wings especially, are more ragged than I'd like where the PC10 meets the CDL.
  • Finally and most important; I don't know how well it will fly. If it flys then all of the foregoing are completely irrelevant and won't worry me in the slightest. Smiley

Suggestion.  Fit the windscreen before the upper wing.

Question for Andrew D.
How badly would the lift be affected in a wing this small if the wing cut-outs weren't glazed?   I was wondering if that would be more prototypical.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:43:54 PM by TheLurker » Logged
Mefot
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #1115 on: August 24, 2017, 04:51:38 PM »

• Doesn't show up well in the pictures, but stretch marks in the two leading panels right at the wing roots.
  • Stabiliser is PC10 top and bottom not PC10/CDL.  It'll get re-covered after any hedge landing.
  • There's an infuriating film dab of PVA on the stbd rear stringers about half way down. A moment's inattention when fitting the last paper pattern.
  • Didn't get laminations completely out of the engine cowling.  If you zoom in on the images hosted on Flickr you can see it fairly clearly.
  • The upper wing window was cut 1mm too long and I didn't get the cyano all the way to the edge.  Obvious in the pictures if you look for it.
     Of course the lower window went on perfectly.
  • Had to reposition the windscreen cos I'm a ham-fisted clot so marks in the tissue just in front of that.
  • The identification number is at the wrong angle, both sides.
  • There's a concavity both sides in the upper quadrant coverings just aft of the nose block - no idea why - and a dent in the fuselage covering port side.  You can see these in the close view of the cockpit
  • This is picky I know,   but some of the tissue edges, on the upper wings especially, are more ragged than I'd like where the PC10 meets the CDL.
  • Finally and most important; I don't know how well it will fly. If it flys then all of the foregoing are completely irrelevant and won't worry me in the slightest. Smiley

Sounds like an above average build to me. Particularly if it was one of my builds...!!!  Grin
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 117

Ignore
« Reply #1116 on: August 24, 2017, 04:55:36 PM »

I said 'proper botches'. Still waiting.
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1117 on: August 24, 2017, 06:09:08 PM »

Question for Andrew D.
How badly would the lift be affected in a wing this small if the wing cut-outs weren't glazed?   I was wondering if that would be more prototypical.

The truth is I don't know, didn't test it without it, most models I looked at seemed to fit one so I went with the herd...

Andrew

Klunk
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1118 on: August 25, 2017, 03:05:30 PM »

She flies, oh she flies!  You have no idea how pleased I am.

No film yet, MrsLurker wasn't available for camera duties this afternoon, and the breeze has really  picked up in the last hour or two so no more flying today.

Mr D.  Get your erks to paint up another victory on your crate.  The F1 kit is a corker - flies pretty much straight off the board.  Everything went from straight from a, "Hey! This _is_ promising." test glide into a very light breeze to, "Stap me! I've got a good un." in very short order.

Best (and last) flight was on about 60 or 70 turns.  In near flat calm a gentle climb to about 15' to 20' into wide LH circuit coming in for an almost text book landing.  I didn't think to time the flight duration, not even a slow count,  I was so gob-smacked by how well it was flying, but I think it was safely above 5s. I've fitted the short motor as I can't count on regular ground crew to help with stretch winding so on that basis I'm hoping to get somewhere around 20s-25s on full gas which will please me very well.  Ran out of time for more flights but it was a very, very good place to stop.

The thing that astonished me, and I do mean astonished, was the rate of climb into any sort of a wind.   A level launch into the very lightest of breezes with only 50 odd turns on would turn into a 45+ deg climb (Ever seen the Typhoon climb? That) and then the inevitable stall, but and here's the thing; it recovers really well and levelled out in good time every time.

Given the rate of climb and the general stability I reckon the wing windows could probably be left unglazed without affecting lift.

Ballasting:  Either I am infernally lucky or I was beatifically good at some point in a former life because the built in 10g was almost bang on.  If I were to build another Camel (and it hasn't been ruled out) I'd go with 8g built in to leave some wriggle room. There's plenty of room (if you use lead) for a good 8g to 10g on the back of the nose plate under the line of the nose plug.

For Pete F's benefit I've attached a few more pics to highlight the cosmetic flaws, but you know what? She flies so I don't care about them. Cheesy

Hope to be back here in late December with a representation of K5083.  Fingers crossed.

Mods: If this post in the wrong place please move it as needs be.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:52:17 PM by TheLurker » Logged
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1119 on: August 26, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »

Good news Lurks...

I think that you are far too self critical of the finish of your model, it looks spot on to me.

Have fun and enjoy.

Andrew

Klunk
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1120 on: August 26, 2017, 04:10:32 PM »

Yeah Lurks, even the real ones don't look that good. I think flawed is as close to perfect you can ever hold yourself to. Grin

The Threadkiller!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1121 on: August 27, 2017, 02:34:49 AM »

Best (and last) flight was on about 60 or 70 turns [...] I've fitted the short motor as I can't count on regular ground crew to help with stretch winding so on that basis I'm hoping to get somewhere around 20s-25s on full gas which will please me very well.

3 bits of thin ply and a tent-peg gives you a one-man winding-stooge on the grass.  An aluminium tube instead of the toothpick for a peg, a short length of piano wire to locate everything, and a little 1:10 winder gives you hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of turns on a longer, thinner motor.

Then its off for some serious ground-strafing!  Grin

We bought the Camel kit on a whim yesterday - the Kid and me - and plan to fit a CO2 motor in ours.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1122 on: August 27, 2017, 05:03:54 AM »

3 bits of thin ply and a tent-peg gives you a one-man winding-stooge on the grass....
We bought the Camel kit on a whim yesterday - the Kid and me - and plan to fit a CO2 motor in ours.
X-post with the VMC cook-up.   Interesting you're going for a CO2 motor.  I had wondered if a capacitor driven electric motor might be worth trying but decided it was an experiment too far for a type (biplane) that I'd never built before. 

Thanks for suggesting the stooge idea.  Such a thing hadn't occurred to me. Something to consider for the next model perhaps.  I'm already rather too attached to this one and I think I'm more likely to enjoy lots of shorter flights without the worry of a high turn count motor ummm "relaxing" abruptly.  Smiley
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1123 on: August 27, 2017, 07:04:53 AM »

Hi Liurker may I suggest that when you make up a motor, make a duplicate and wind it to destruction so you will then have an idea how many winds you have. Another thing is to make a stuffing stick, where you wind the rubber outside of the plane.

The Threadkiller!
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1124 on: September 01, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »

Grin W]ELL MY 27 INCH TOMAHAWK IS ALMOST COVERED WITH BALANCE ALMOST RIGHT ON   WEIGHT IS AROUND 60 GM WITH A WING AREA OF 120 INCH SQUARE SO WING LOADING IS CLOSE TO .5 GM INCH SQ WHICH IS ON TARGET.  i CALL ATTENTION TO THE WING BOX.  THE FORMER WHICH SUPPORTS THE LEADING AND TRAILING EDGES ARE JOINED TO THE FUSELAGE.  THE TWO FORMERS IN BETWEEN ARE MATED WITH THE WING.  EVERYTHING IS THEN GLUED TO THE FUSELAGE FOR SECURE JOINTS AT ALL POINTS. i can't tell whether my caps lock is on till i finish typing cuz i gotta look at the keyboard not the screen.

jim
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53   Go Up
Print
Jump to: