Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 12, 2019, 08:24:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 55   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show Your Newest Creation  (Read 95753 times)
Wout Moerman
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2012, 01:15:58 PM »

Nice colours, Craig! When I saw the photo I new directly it  was one of your models.

Wout

Rubber FF scale:
www.zininmodelvliegen.nl
Bargle
Gold Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2012, 08:26:37 PM »

Good lookin', Climber. Thanks for showing it to us.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2012, 08:35:31 PM »

Climber,  Yes, that kind of wing graphics is definitely your trademark.  Very nice.  Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2012, 03:14:23 AM »

Roman inspired me with his Bostonian Bostang B-51...so I had to give it a try...here's where I am so far....

Red Tail B-51 of the Tuskeegee Airmen...

Tom
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show Your Newest Creation

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2012, 07:24:35 AM »

Tom,  That is so cute.  Kind of like a cartoon character of the Mustang.   Smiley  Caley

Steven Wrigley
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2012, 10:08:34 PM »

Heres my newest creation. Started and finished on Sunday in the SFA Quick Build Challenge Race Challenge..... Dimescale Bellanca Junior. I think I see a 36 incher in my future.

My other Saab's a jet!
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2012, 07:12:02 AM »

Well done Steven, you did really well to finish it in time - good job!

Jon
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2012, 06:58:37 PM »

My newest creation is a lidgard HiHo here shown in stick mode. I am still working on the pylon which is used for cabin/wakefield mode.

Covered with doculam, color is designmaster spray and blue tissue, weight is 105g empty, 210g fully wound.

Bernard

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2012, 07:27:04 PM »

Bernard, very nice, especially the graphics and colour layout.  I guess this is a large stick from the weight given.  Caley

BG
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2012, 08:10:49 PM »

Thanks Caley...yes large stick/cabin/wakefield.

BG

dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: April 05, 2012, 08:28:08 PM »

HI Bernard
A stunning model, I just had to Google "Doculam", is there no end to these modern materials? Your graphics are stunning could you share your process with us.
regards Dave
Bargle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2012, 08:39:24 PM »

Seconding Caley and Dave on the graphics. Very nice.

The plan I found somewhere on the 'net lists the wingspan as 40" and the length as 38", so yes, a large sized one. Maybe a good candidate for a scaled down version? I definitely like the look without the cabin better.
BG
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2012, 10:07:07 PM »

The graphics are quite simple to do. First get some decal paper from your favourite supplier (I got mine from Micromark). Then using your favourite graphics program (I use adobe illustrator) draw or write what you want adjust font size and stye etc. When happy put the decal paper in the laser printer, set the printer to print on heavy gloss coated paper and print. Now you have decals along the lines of what you would get in a plastic kit. Next and most important: spray a good coat of fixative or glossy laquer to seal and strengthen the decals. When this dries go ahead and apply em. I also give the decals a final coat of sealant after they are one the model.

B

Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 278

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2012, 12:47:31 PM »

That is truly beautiful Bernard and I don’t want to detract in any way from that statement if I mention something that I haven’t seen raised on the forum before and which I think might be of interest.

It is noticeable that on the western side of the pond a lot of model builders do pay great attention to the decoration of their models whereas, on this side, that is not the case.  Memory tells me that is was prevalent in the 1940s to the 60s but that in more recent years most competition flyers will eschew everything except the compulsory membership number.  This is partly because if something isn’t there it can’t weigh anything but much more because a competition model, properly flown, will need repairs.  Properly flown means flown in all conditions; the repairs are rarely for a crash,more usually for damage after a flight, slid or cartwheeled along a runway, blown into a fence, retrieved from a tree and such like.  Repairs, if only tissue rips, will often be needed before the next flight and these are usually less trouble with an undecorated model.

That is just my take, I would be interested in other opinions.  Oh! And by the way, the Hi-Ho is gorgeous.
John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2012, 12:57:10 PM »

John, I totally understand where you're coming from when you mention all those hazards you guys have to fly over, around and through.  Yes, keeping things simple, makes required repairs a lot easier.
  Some of us over the pond are blessed with wide open spaces, and maybe that allows more eclectic pursuits when it comes to finishing a model aeroplane.
  As for why I decorate my models so vividly, I am a really mean person who just loves torturing the semses of fellow flyers.  How else do you expect me to win.   Grin  And with that tale, I sign off and head for cover.  Caley

Rewinged
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2012, 02:42:13 PM »

Caley, you totalled failed in "torturing the senses" of this flier, or else I wouldn't have inspired to emulate your beautiful Majestyk rainbow color scheme using Design Master.  But I have had some less-than-flattering references to my rainbows.  (But some flattering ones too.)

Back on topic, I'm sure there are a bunch of us who likely wouldn't even fly (much) if we had to deal with the conditions I hear some of you blokes need to contend with.  In February I had an HLG flight DT within 5 feet of the glider pen, and at a contest last summer I stared at a bunch of models in a thermal for almost a minute before I decided I was being stupid by not piggybacking.  Went ahead and launched, and caught the thermal. 

I don't like wind, and I'm sure I would care a bit less about aerodynamic trim, much less care about aesthetics, if my planes were likely to end up doing cartwheels and the like.  I'd rather deal with rain.

Really back on topic--BG, that model looks awesome.

--Bill

Good air don't care!
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »

BG,
Your HiHo 'stick' is really nice but, saying "The graphics are quite simple to do" needs some clarification.
Adobe Illustrator will cost about $500.00. A color, Laser printer may cost the same. NOT so easy to do!
Dave Andreski

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
BG
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »

Hi All,
Thanks for the positive comments. John your comments regarding decoration are well founded and you will note that my decorations although vivid is actually more a practical consideration than anything else. I always try to get red on the tips and fins and stab so that I can easily spot my model on the ground (human eye is drawn to reds). I always try to keep the undersurfaces darkish (red in this case) for visibility in the air. I like to have a light color (usually white) on the center panels because I use clear decal paper and so my registration and other stuff shows up better with a white background. The only real decorations are the "HiHo"decal and the blue stripes made from blue tissue) ...The decals are easy for me to make and apply because I have access to a laser printer and, illustrator and decal paper....maybe I should start a little cottage business specializing in decals and the like?? Would any of you buy em?. Anyway the point is that for me the decorations etc. are easy and in this case because I covered with clear doculam, necessary because clear models are all but invisible on the ground and in the air. As for repairs...well I fully anticipate needing to do this and have no problem with this aspect. A well flown, well patched model does not offend my eye at all.

Decals: it is true that access to the right equipment makes the job easier. I would be happy to make custom decals to order for any of you for a reasonable fee.

Bernard

Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2012, 04:29:39 PM »

BG,
Taking this one to the AMA Nats this summer?
Dave Andreski

BG
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2012, 06:20:37 PM »

Hi Dave,
I hope to make it to the SAM champs and possibly the AMA nats (time permitting). Are there old timer classes at the AMA nats?? I was planning to fly F1B and possibly F1G.

B

skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 93

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2012, 03:06:48 PM »

Well I thought I'd throw this out there. Finally after two and a half years of off and on drawing/building, my Aerowerkes Fokker E-V is now finished.  Scaled at 1:16, as it sits now
without covering she comes in at 26.5g.  Most of the lumber is in her wing. She could be lighter but I didn't have any good contest grade material on hand so the primary build was to test and check parts fit. The rotory engine is built up and comes with the kit along with a vac formed cowling.  I
didn't add the guns but those are also furnished in the kit. Hope you enjoy the views of the prototype.

Skyraider
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2012, 03:39:37 PM »

Skyraider, Those are certainly some very nice looking bones.  Wonderful work.  Caley

BG
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2012, 04:33:03 PM »

Here is HiHo with pylon....not really happy with it. As expected the dope has pulled it out of shape. It will work for now (will fly it in the SCIFF SCAMPS event at lost hills in a couple of weeks) but I think I will eventually rebuild the pylon.

b

applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2012, 05:05:23 PM »

Looks pretty good to me, Bernard
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2012, 10:53:03 AM »

Hi Dave,
I hope to make it to the SAM champs and possibly the AMA nats (time permitting). Are there old timer classes at the AMA nats?? I was planning to fly F1B and possibly F1G.

B

My mistake again. NO OT classes at the AMA Nats and OT Models are not allowed to fly in Nostalgia classes.
I think this is correct.
Dave Andreski

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 55   Go Up
Print
Jump to: