Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2019, 07:37:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show Your Newest Creation  (Read 97025 times)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1325 on: October 29, 2019, 11:21:47 AM »

Both methods have turned out well, Bill Smiley
The white decal cutting gives better results than I first envisaged .... though my experiment sticking a test "C" to the bathroom mirror went 'ok'.
I then cut a trial "DIXIE" using the file I had drawn for my Sopwith Triplane ... the "X" was like fighting with an octopus! As John says, a test of patience.
A lot depends on the quality of the decal. The white from Sunnyscopa which Mike Stuart put me on to was excellent, after another coat of white cellulose. Strong, thin, kept its shape. Some other stuff I got was utterly useless.
Has there ever been an idiot's guide to these cutting machines? Andy Sephton showed me that I might be able to learn the CAD but I've no idea what happens after that and I don't like the sound of 'vectoring'. It's something that would usefully go in Aeromodeller, instead of 18 pages of CL contest reports
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #1326 on: October 29, 2019, 11:31:20 AM »

'instead of 18 pages of CL contest reports'

Well done Bill!  Cheesy Cheesy
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1327 on: October 29, 2019, 02:29:07 PM »

I think Andy did do an article of some kind?
Vector graphics are ultimately easier to use than bitmaps ...it's just that initial learning curve.
Vectors are scalable with no loss of quality, unlike the "staircase" effect that you get with bitmaps.
Most standard fonts are scalable and import into the cutting software as vectors ... so no tracing was required with your lettering.
Vector example:
A line is described by using the line command, the start point and the finish point. This is how the line information is filed .... not as a series of dots as in a bitmap.

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1328 on: October 29, 2019, 03:28:44 PM »

Russ, you lost me at 'I' I'm afraid. Can you point me at the article? It doesn't ring a bell.
I had hoped that you could buy a machine, plug it in and press 'go'.  Maybe oil it from time to time.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #1329 on: October 29, 2019, 03:45:53 PM »

If Andrew B is listening ? a good very basic how to CAD in AM would go down a treat with me too. I have read the previous articles but I got a bit lost after the first paragraph . All I want to do, rather like Bill I Think, is trace some lettering or an outline from an imported photo and make a vector file I can get cut or printed. 

I actually have FreeCAD on my PC but even tracing a photo has eluded me, or at least the results I get are worse than doing it by hand  Undecided
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1330 on: October 29, 2019, 04:21:13 PM »

If Andrew B is listening ? a good very basic how to CAD in AM would go down a treat with me too. I have read the previous articles but I got a bit lost after the first paragraph . All I want to do, rather like Bill I Think, is trace some lettering or an outline from an imported photo and make a vector file I can get cut or printed. 

I actually have FreeCAD on my PC but even tracing a photo has eluded me, or at least the results I get are worse than doing it by hand  Undecided
This is Andy's CAD tutorial. I think I could learn that
https://www.aeromodellers.co.uk/forum/thecafe/32305-cad-a-tutorial?limitstart=0
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1331 on: October 29, 2019, 04:24:13 PM »

Thanks Bill I'll have read
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1332 on: October 29, 2019, 06:36:54 PM »

I have always been proud to quote E.H. Copsey as one of my maths teachers. He wrote books on calculus, algebra etc.
He was nearing the end of his career as a teacher and would frequently get frustrated when he couldn't break down his expertise into more simple terms for us. He would sometimes almost shriek, "it's so simple .... it's "O" level!!".
He was a great teacher, but a better mathematician.
I'm nowhere near the expert he was in his field, but I seem to have a similar inability to convey my own methods!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #1333 on: October 30, 2019, 04:29:33 AM »

A good maths teacher is a wonderful thing.

Despite my interest in the subject I struggled because my A Level teacher didn't really care about people actually learning, so a few months before the exams I started with an extraordinary tutor.  The old lady was very arthritic, but years of confusion fell away at her flat each week as she painfully, slowly wrote with her stub pencil.  I've now forgotten the calculus and much of the other stuff, but the overarching lesson she taught was this:  "The most elegant solution is also the most convincing one."  A poetic instruction that I never forgot, and one that also applies to so much of life!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1334 on: October 30, 2019, 01:19:55 PM »

Poetic indeed  Smiley
In my brief time in the ATC, I was told that I marched like a chicken ... I might struggle to find my own elegance ....
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1335 on: November 01, 2019, 03:29:46 AM »

[quote'instead of 18 pages of CL contest reports'][/quote] Controline flyers are aeromodellers too.

John
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1336 on: November 01, 2019, 04:13:57 AM »

[quote'instead of 18 pages of CL contest reports']
Controline flyers are aeromodellers too.
[/quote]
Yes they are, and who would say otherwise.
Viperkite
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #1337 on: November 01, 2019, 06:58:31 AM »

I'm a freeflighter, but I think 18 pages of FF contest reports would be too much. It's  a mistake to let any one branch of the hobby dominate the only magazine that covers the subject.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #1338 on: November 01, 2019, 07:32:42 AM »

As I haven't flown with string since a brief experiment when I was fourteen, I didn't find much to interest me personally in the last issue of Aeromodeller, but I'm delighted for the CL folk to see their achievements covered in such detail.  The next issue will be different again, and over time everyone gets their turn in the limelight.  Smiley
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #1339 on: November 01, 2019, 08:15:08 AM »

Somebody needs to write an equally in-depth report of the 2020 indoor FF nats - about 2 pages of A4 for each class would give 14 pages in total, if you include the air race and the mass launch.  If you also include the 3 RC classes and pylon race to be held on the Saturday we could just about take over the whole magazine for the month!

John M
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1340 on: November 01, 2019, 08:19:56 AM »

As I haven't flown with string since a brief experiment when I was fourteen, I didn't find much to interest me personally in the last issue of Aeromodeller, but I'm delighted for the CL folk to see their achievements covered in such detail.  The next issue will be different again, and over time everyone gets their turn in the limelight.  Smiley

Indeed  Smiley

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1341 on: November 01, 2019, 08:27:54 AM »

I'm a freeflighter, but I think 18 pages of FF contest reports would be too much. It's  a mistake to let any one branch of the hobby dominate the only magazine that covers the subject.
Variety is the spice of life and I'll read absolutely anything if it is interesting. Who remembers those fascinating articles by Metkemier (sp)  on the development of his TR motor? I hardly understood a word but it was fascinating. As for WC reports, try O'Donnell's report on FF at the Kauhava 1965 WC. We are very lucky to have Aeromodeller so my concern is the person flicking through it in WH Smiths and deciding whether to spend £5 on that particular issue if it is half-full of almost identical reports on one subject, with photos of people standing around, not models. Go back to the 60s, 70s, 80s and you rarely find any article more than three pages long, and that includes the free plans. WC reports were about the models.
All this is opinion and we may disagree but at the beginning of the month for that particular issue, Smiths had ten copies and at the end they were still there.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1342 on: November 01, 2019, 08:33:47 AM »

Somebody needs to write an equally in-depth report of the 2020 indoor FF nats - about 2 pages of A4 for each class would give 14 pages in total, if you include the air race and the mass launch.  If you also include the 3 RC classes and pylon race to be held on the Saturday we could just about take over the whole magazine for the month!
Especially if each report begins with how they got to Walsall.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1343 on: November 01, 2019, 08:52:11 AM »

Anyway, I've started a quick new model. Can you guess what it will be...
here's a clue (yes it's a sink plunger)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show Your Newest Creation
kkphantom
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #1344 on: November 01, 2019, 09:08:38 AM »

Albatross!
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1345 on: November 01, 2019, 09:18:26 AM »

Albatross!
No - second clue
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show Your Newest Creation
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1346 on: November 01, 2019, 09:43:50 AM »

A test trimming version of your Vimy with the sink plunger as a bounce-able nose
kkphantom
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #1347 on: November 01, 2019, 09:50:13 AM »

Pfalz!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #1348 on: November 01, 2019, 10:24:02 AM »

Puss Moth!

(I know that tail's nothing like a Puss Moth, but I'm just playing the odds here.)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1349 on: November 01, 2019, 11:19:32 AM »

Hmmm..... sink ...... plunger ?
A heavily loaded glider?
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55   Go Up
Print