Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 12, 2019, 08:38:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 55   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show Your Newest Creation  (Read 95754 times)
SHigSpeed
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2012, 10:50:21 AM »

I've been posting the progress of the build on the Senator thread, but now that she's ready to fly, I thought I'd post it up here.

75% scale and my first Senator of any size.  36 grams withut rubber so there's plenty of room for improvement weight-wise.

Hope to get it in the air under power so I can post a video.  Weather isn't cooperating though...

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5455/6913202222_2456bc7962_b_d.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5443/7059290127_448f3077f5_b_d.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7106/7059287611_ecc3ecc00c_b_d.jpg

_SHig
Show Your Newest Creation
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2012, 01:39:45 PM »

Nice workmanship!
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2012, 07:56:43 PM »

Agreed. The tissue came out very nice.
scrubs
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »

Here is HiHo with pylon....not really happy with it. As expected the dope has pulled it out of shape. It will work for now (will fly it in the SCIFF SCAMPS event at lost hills in a couple of weeks) but I think I will eventually rebuild the pylon.

b
With or without it's a beautiful model. I find my quality of building seems to be going down over the last 3-4 years so I tend towards plain and simple. Same result as John but for a different reason.

scrubs
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2012, 03:38:27 PM »

My mistake again. NO OT classes at the AMA Nats and OT Models are not allowed to fly in Nostalgia classes.
Look here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/nats/natsschedule.aspx
There ARE OT events at the USA Nats (OT rubber stick and cabin + FAC events and so on).
So It looks like there are events for Bernard's HiHo and Gollywock and ......

Tmat
-I'll be there
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:00:17 PM by Ratz » Logged

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2012, 07:02:11 AM »

Nice work SHig!

Here's my finished Frog Raven (from the bones in post #52). Weight before rubber is 16.2g with a 6" peck prop. It will probably need some noseweight but it's not far off inspite of the sheet tail surfaces. The colour scheme was copied from WarrenB's double-sized radio Raven.

Jon
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show Your Newest Creation
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2012, 08:34:17 AM »

Guys,
I'm always so impressed by what I see here in these inspirational post. I'd like to ask that along with the nice photos that there be some engineering specs, any thing, prop size, rubber strands, rubber weight etc .  I for one often have never seen or heard of many of the models shown. So a little information other name would help put the models into perspective.

Again to everyone very nice work.
Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2012, 08:56:16 AM »

I'd like to ask that along with the nice photos that there be some engineering specs, any thing, prop size, rubber strands, rubber weight etc...

I think that's a very good idea. It would build this thread up into a very useful resource.

The plan for Raven above is found at: http://www.houseoffrog.co.uk/senior_plans.htm

The span is 18". The prop shown is a 6" peck, but might get replaced with a 7". (The original was 6.5") I haven't flown it yet but I hope it will go on two strands of 1/8 or a longer motor of 3/16 rubber... we'll see.

Jon
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »

My mistake again. NO OT classes at the AMA Nats and OT Models are not allowed to fly in Nostalgia classes.
Look here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/nats/natsschedule.aspx
There ARE OT events at the USA Nats (OT rubber stick and cabin + FAC events and so on).
So It looks like there are events for Bernard's HiHo and Gollywock and ......

Tmat
-I'll be there

Thanks Tony,
I'm easily confused by all the differing rules.
Dave Andreski
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:00:49 PM by Ratz » Logged

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Bargle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2012, 02:38:53 PM »

Another one crossed off the list. This one is the Sorta Phantom Fury. Weight without rubber is between 49 and 50 grams. Prop is 11".  I'll probably use a triple loop of 3/16 SS to power it.
I modified it because I screwed up building the original fuselage and wanted to go with something simpler. I changed it to a simple rectangular cross section, nose to tail. I moved the stab to the top of the fuselage. I changed the windscreen to a simple flat one. I made the landing gear a slide in style, but I'm not thrilled with how it turned out. This was why I asked for ideas on my Miss Canada build.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:49:23 PM by Bargle » Logged
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2012, 12:36:03 PM »

I finished my entry for the Comet C/U - Allied ST - over the weekend and even squeezed in some trimming flights  Smiley. I built the model from a GAR combo kit. Some more details and pictures are in the Comet C/U thread.

I fitted the nose with a K/P adjustable nose block. The prop is the 5.5" prop which came in the kit. As trimmed, AUW came out to be 15.1g including about 1g of clay in the nose. Best flight so far was about 45 seconds on a 12" loop of 1/8" kit rubber wound to 1000 turns.

Best,

--Ates
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: April 17, 2012, 04:13:08 AM »

Hi Ates
Well done. Very neat.  Grin Grin
regards Dave
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2012, 04:46:03 AM »

That's really nice Ates! Did you print the tissue? Great weight too...
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: April 17, 2012, 05:47:26 AM »

Thank you for the nice comments folks.

Yes, the tissue is printed dollar store tissue. This was my first experimentation with printing and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

--Ates

higgsbason
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: April 17, 2012, 09:04:35 AM »

Hi y'all, Here is a 7.5" penguin with an appropriate pilot Grin cast from Polyurathane, flames are hand painted.

Mike   

no time for know it all amatures
Wout Moerman
Gold Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2012, 10:46:53 AM »

That penguin is really cute! Or maybe I should say those penguins!

Rubber FF scale:
www.zininmodelvliegen.nl
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2012, 12:51:18 PM »

Here's the latest off the building board  Grin

It's the Nike from the '57 Zaic yearbook. A friend was flying one a couple of years ago and despite needing several pounds of church roof to offset the weight of the tail it glided superbly (My Inchworm was left floundering on one of those 'flat' days that occassionally appear)

Fast forward to the last 'Area' competition and I was reminded that my new super all singing huge classic glider is still some way from being completed so I decided to knock up one of these, trying to keep it nice and light. It's ended up at 310gms with the CofG at 55% and took about 3-4 weeks of spare time to put together.

Nothing special in the construction, just balsa, spruce, ply and tissue over mylar for the covering. The rudder is on the sub-fin just out of sight and operates by a sliding hook. Timer is my usual KSB and the black patch on the nose is electrical tape over a ballast box.

Looking forward to seeing her in the air

Cheers
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2012, 01:23:07 PM »

Paul

I thought you'd been keeping quiet - doing a veritable Brer Rabbit and laying low Grin It looks jolly nice, and I like the colour scheme - looks like my preflown & re-covered A/1. Are you thinking of flying it this weekend on SP - the forecast looks as though you won't need to do much running on tow? Roll Eyes

Peter
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2012, 02:08:44 PM »

Peter, Paul, nice looking airframes.Hope you both get a chance to give them some fright time.  Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2012, 02:38:55 PM »

Cheers Caley

Are you thinking of flying it this weekend on SP - the forecast looks as though you won't need to do much running on tow? Roll Eyes

Peter

There'd be plenty of running - flat out towards the launcher  Tongue Cheesy

Forecast looks pretty grotty don't it - torrential rain easing off to allow 40 mph winds . . . typical contest day eh Peter, see you there  Wink

Toodlepip
Paul

PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2012, 04:15:08 PM »

Look forward to seeing your happy smiling face again Wink

Saturday doesn't look too bad, but Sunday will be character building Shocked Have you heard if anyone has tried to get on the Plain since it's been raining? I think it'll be a weekend for 'low emotional involvement' models eh wot Grin

Peter

ps Thanks Caley!
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »

Gents, Still trying to understand your lingo.  Now, from what it sounds like, gale force winds, and the wet stuff?  What a hardy bunch of souls over there.  Anyway, if no flying, have a great time visiting, which I think is always the best part.  Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2012, 03:39:11 AM »

Nope Peter - I'm guessing that driving on is probably best described as 'exciting' and assuming that you can reach the plateau we'll spend a lot of the day sitting in cars watching the rain lash the windows . . . fun, fun, fun  Roll Eyes

I was going to ask Peter T today what access is currently like (not having a 4WD) - I'll let you know if it seems dubious.

By the way I didn't realise you had any LEM's - I kind of like the old 'windy weather' toys; they've acquired a pattina of use over the years which a shiny new one doesn't have. Each patch and repair reminds of good times had flying with chums

Off to dig out the Sou'wester
Paul

PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2012, 05:04:01 AM »

Paul

Thanks, any info from Peter would be much appreciated. All of my models seem to reach the LEM stage pretty quickly due to trimming at Chobham & flying at Beaulieu - c'est la vie - perhaps I ought to take up indoor stuff instead Sad

I've just finished a revamped P30, new wings, modified fus & new tail. I was intending to fly it tomorrow, but now common sense is starting to prevail, and I'll keep it for the Nats. Though I suspect we'll have 4 weeks of calm and then storms for the Nats - so what's new.

Cheers

Peter
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2012, 09:02:50 AM »

Okay Peter (and anyone else who might be contemplating a trip to Salisbury Plain this weekend)

Not sure about the conditions underfoot, although after all this rain they will be  . . . . challenging? There is some planned Army activity detailed below to be aware of; this combined with the weather and a general feeling of malaise means I for one will probably stay at home  :'(

Have fun
Paul

Salisbury Plain is available for trimming this weekend 28/29th April, but with conditions:-
1/ On both days there will be Parachute drops on the adjacent dropping zone between the times of 1045/1134 hrs and 1345/1445 hrs and Hercules will most likely circle low over Area 8. Flying models should cease during these times.
2/ There will be night time flying exercises on both days. All model flying should cease at sun-set, which is at 2020 hrs.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 55   Go Up
Print
Jump to: