Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 25, 2022, 12:37:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show Your Newest Creation  (Read 134425 times)
D/T
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1625 on: January 15, 2021, 10:33:11 AM »

Any tips before I start mine?
Unfortunately, due to the lockdowns, I have not flown it yet. I built an earlier one after the plan was published (1961!), which flew well. There are a couple of small errors on the plan re location of joiners and wing section at the root, as shown on the fuselage, no big deal. It is a good, sound design. I did not use the swinging trigger for the autorudder,as that tends to eject the towring, and used a KSB timer.
Don
Kevin M
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #1626 on: January 15, 2021, 11:53:57 AM »

Thanks Don.
vintagemike
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #1627 on: January 17, 2021, 12:02:00 PM »

Here is my latest, a Peck P51 Mustang. Thank you to Crabby who supplied me with a copy of the plan, I have no idea where the original went I probably screwed it up when I wrecked the first attempt at this one about 30 years ago. Fuselage is modified to 1/16" square cause I cannot work with 20th. Its taken me forever to finish this one, dont know why but we are all done now
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show Your Newest Creation
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 44

Ignore
« Reply #1628 on: January 17, 2021, 01:59:39 PM »

Very pretty it is too.  Weights?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1629 on: January 18, 2021, 02:30:23 AM »

Lovely work on the Mustang VM. The covering efforts I see here are quite intimidating Smiley

John
vintagemike
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1630 on: January 18, 2021, 05:35:59 AM »

Not sure of weights, scales decided to not work ridiculous isnt it I mean they are only 30 years old!! looks like I will have to look at the great god amazon for a new set. Not only the covering, some of the masterpieces on here make me think long and hard before I post anything
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 81

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1631 on: January 18, 2021, 05:52:01 AM »

The Mustang looks very nice, Mike  Smiley
vintagemike
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1632 on: January 18, 2021, 07:14:54 AM »

Thank you
kaintuck
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1633 on: January 18, 2021, 08:43:38 AM »

Looks great to me too!....now you need a bf109 to fly in a dogfight launch Grin
Marc
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 115

Ignore
« Reply #1634 on: January 19, 2021, 03:47:44 PM »

Looks great to me too!....now you need a bf109 to fly in a dogfight launch Grin
Marc

Or an FW-190... 

A little nostalgic fun.  The Guillows #502 FW-190 was the first stick and tissue model I built, back in the mid-70s as a kid.  A gentleman that works at our new flying field gave me one with the fuselage built during our December flying session - he felt the sticks were too small for him to enjoy building the rest of it.  I started on it the day after Christmas and truly enjoyed the build - used the kit wood, tweaked things where I felt like it and didn't worry too much about what it'd weigh or whether it'd be competitive.  I printed flight simulator graphics on the kit tissue and experimented with chalking the back of that with white PanPastel - I think it gave a much better look than what I got from raw printed tissue on my Tempest.  I even found the cowl blisters from my original 1970s build (I'm such a pathetic pack-rat) and used them on the model.

It's quite portly at 32g without motor.  Saturday I loaded 8g (2x24" loops 1/8") of rubber into it and took it out to play - was pleasantly surprised with how it flew despite being shall we say kind of dense.  Still needs more trimming but let's just say it looks and flies a bit better than the one I built back in the 20th century...

Video at:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGOCGsrtR34

Mike
Kevin M
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #1635 on: January 19, 2021, 04:10:55 PM »

Wonderful! The chalk on the back of the printed tissue really works, looks almost like an airbrushed finish.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 170

Ignore
« Reply #1636 on: January 19, 2021, 08:47:43 PM »

Agree with Kevin. That is true mastery. What a superb finish!
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #1637 on: January 19, 2021, 10:51:20 PM »

That kit was my first on returning to the hobby after over a decade.  Bought it at a local store.  Used all the kit wood, rubber, tissue and prop.  Never weighed it.  Painted it with Aeroglos dope.  It was a total dog.  Then discovered Model Builder Magazine, Peanut Scale, and the FAC.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1638 on: January 20, 2021, 12:52:35 AM »

Even the weathering is included on the printed tissue skins Shocked. Impressive effort Mike and the chalking certainly seems effective.

Watching the flights - I think portly or otherwise it appears to have lots of potential. The zoom at the end of the power run appears to me to be a combination of a bit too much decalage and the resultant extra required down thrust.

I would suggest that you retrim the glide with slightly less decalage and a slightly further aft CG and reduce the down thrust to a minimum.

Happy trimming.

John
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 170

Ignore
« Reply #1639 on: January 20, 2021, 07:03:06 AM »

My Antoinette certainly isn’t a new creation, but a slightly tatty old one. However I have just revamped it whilst my building board was clear. Main job was removing the rather heavy radiators which were made of shirring elastic wrapped around frames and painted a copper colour. The new ones are just paper, and a more accurate greyish colour. This exchange has knocked about 5g off the all up weight. I’ve also re-rigged it all with thread, as all of the original grey elastic rigging had perished and broken, and I’ve patched the worst of the splits in the wing tissue too. If I can just get old Hubert flying again I can pitch him against my new Bleriot and re-create the Channel race all over again!
Pat D
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #1640 on: January 20, 2021, 07:29:37 AM »

[/quote]

Or an FW-190... 

[/quote]

Mike, Mike, Mike

that printed tissue is a game changer - really excellent !

Pat
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #1641 on: January 20, 2021, 08:18:10 AM »

Or an FW-190... 

A little nostalgic fun.  The Guillows #502 FW-190 was the first stick and tissue model I built, back in the mid-70s as a kid.

Mike

Mike:
That is really awesome. The tissue is fantastic, well done!

I notice some of the structural changes ... balsa infill on the nose, some details on the leading edge of the canopy/cockpit, and the vertical stabilizer.

Are there any other hidden alterations?

I have an older version of that kit that's been sitting around. I'd like to blow it up to 2x or thereabouts, but there are a number of details on the plan that had left me dissatisfied with what I'll call the "basic accuracy" of the design (the biggest, as I recall, had to do with the relative location of the cockpit to the wing). Looking at your beauty, I'll have to reassess my thoughts on that, as it appears I was wrong (not the first time, nor will it be the last).

That's some super work! I love it.

Regards-
Dave
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 115

Ignore
« Reply #1642 on: January 20, 2021, 12:54:55 PM »

Thanks for the kind words guys - I really enjoyed the build and am pleased with the result.

Watching the flights - I think portly or otherwise it appears to have lots of potential. The zoom at the end of the power run appears to me to be a combination of a bit too much decalage and the resultant extra required down thrust.

I would suggest that you retrim the glide with slightly less decalage and a slightly further aft CG and reduce the down thrust to a minimum.

John

John, I did a post-trimming cg and incidence check this morning and think your diagnosis is on the right track.  It's got about 2 deg decalage as-flown and the cg is ~1/32-1/16"" ahead of the McCombs-calculated target.  The model has a bit of differential washout, with the right wing having about .5deg more than the left (that's probably not helping me much...).  I don't have an easy way to measure the downthrust with the prop on the model, but there's a lot.  Right thrust looks reasonable.  I'll move the CG back about 1/32" and even out the washout, then next calm morning that I can get out I'll re-trim the glide.

I notice some of the structural changes ... balsa infill on the nose, some details on the leading edge of the canopy/cockpit, and the vertical stabilizer.

Are there any other hidden alterations?

I have an older version of that kit that's been sitting around. I'd like to blow it up to 2x or thereabouts, but there are a number of details on the plan that had left me dissatisfied with what I'll call the "basic accuracy" of the design (the biggest, as I recall, had to do with the relative location of the cockpit to the wing).

Dave

Thanks Dave.  The biggest change I made was the nose - cut some rings with a hole saw and framed up the cowl for a proper noseblock, and sheeted it back to former B2 (approximately where the real aircraft's cowl ended).  Did a bit of cosmetic infill to represent exhausts and the cowl gun ports and covers.  I also cut down former B4 and added a few bits of 1/32" sheet to get the cockpit area closer to scale.  Only other significant changes were to fatten up the fin, add supports for the wing guns and fill in a bit around the exhaust port area behind the cowl under the wing.  I used the kit's vacuformed windscreen but cut off the canopy and replaced it with one made from paper and thin plastic as I couldn't stand the seam in the middle of the canopy (saved some weight there too).  I sanded the sides of the assembled fuselage very aggressively to narrow it down a bit aft of the exhausts.

The basic outline of the kit isn't bad at all - see attached overlay of the -A3 three-view from the Squadron In-Action book on the Guillows plan.  You are correct that the cockpit-wing relationship is off - the windscreen is too far forward and the wing is mounted a bit too far aft with too little taper in the leading edge.  I moved the windscreen back about 1/4" and decided to live with the wing shape and location.  To me it gets enough of the look right to be satisfying.

If the shape discrepancies are too distracting, consider building Mike Midkiff's 25" span FW-190.  Rich Adams has done one that looks spectacular and flies very well.

Mike
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #1643 on: January 20, 2021, 01:44:13 PM »

The basic outline of the kit isn't bad at all - see attached overlay of the -A3 three-view from the Squadron In-Action book on the Guillows plan.

Mike:
Nice comparison. It could've been the details around the cockpit, as well as the engine cowl.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Midkiff plan. Will take a look.

I do have Al Lidberg's Ta-152 plan, but that's really an entirely different beast.

Regards-
Dave

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1644 on: January 20, 2021, 07:09:39 PM »

It's got about 2 deg decalage as-flown and the cg is ~1/32-1/16"" ahead of the McCombs-calculated target. 

That is actually less than I would have expected and probably what I would have liked. Strange!

Good luck with the trimming.

John

billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 71

Ignore
« Reply #1645 on: March 03, 2021, 12:25:12 PM »

Quiz time - what is it? First prize; two square inches of genuine Esaki.
Gary Dickens
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1646 on: March 03, 2021, 12:57:39 PM »

AW FK8?
What colour is the esaki?
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 66

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #1647 on: March 03, 2021, 01:04:29 PM »

an uncovered right wing panel...

scale free flight & micro RC
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 71

Ignore
« Reply #1648 on: March 03, 2021, 01:06:16 PM »

Well done! Any colour you like. Send a SAE.
More photos. My aim is for it to be the lightest-loaded diesel model I've made.
Gary Dickens
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1649 on: March 03, 2021, 01:11:41 PM »

Is this from the Elsegood(?) plan?
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73   Go Up