Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2021, 06:27:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show Your Newest Creation  (Read 119510 times)
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 89

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1700 on: July 10, 2021, 11:58:42 PM »

Beautiful Mike, beautiful
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1701 on: July 11, 2021, 02:55:49 AM »

Another beauty, Mike  Smiley
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #1702 on: July 11, 2021, 03:09:23 PM »

Wow.
ffscale
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #1703 on: July 11, 2021, 05:26:02 PM »

Another cracker Mike - very impressive!  Printed tissue backed with chalk to increase opacity?

Mike S
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #1704 on: July 11, 2021, 07:05:35 PM »

What a cracker again, Mike! Your finishes never fail to astonish.
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 111

Ignore
« Reply #1705 on: July 11, 2021, 08:55:05 PM »

Thanks all - I had fun building it, although at times the details seemed to pile up a bit.

Printed tissue backed with chalk to increase opacity?

Yes, same approach as the FW-190.  Interestingly, on this one the chalk seems to show through more in the areas between structure, leaving a phantom image of the structure on the model.  It's subtle, but there.  Doesn't seem to distract too much from the overall look.

Mike
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #1706 on: July 12, 2021, 04:24:32 PM »

Mike you just continue to AMAZE us all. WELL DONE SIR !!!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1707 on: August 13, 2021, 12:56:29 PM »

A Concorde. My first effort at nocal (or a jet, or a delta wing or a pusher). It’s intended for Nijmegen but goodness knows if it’ll work. 12.5” span and nearly 9.8g without rubber.
If it’s really hopeless I’ll just remove the prop and fly it like a paper dart.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show Your Newest Creation
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #1708 on: August 13, 2021, 01:09:47 PM »

Excellent Pete, keep up the good work!

Peter
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #1709 on: August 13, 2021, 02:26:50 PM »

It looks really good Pete

Have you tried any test glides ?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1710 on: August 13, 2021, 02:44:29 PM »

Have you tried any test glides ?
Only onto the bed. With 1g of bluetack on the nose, and prop but no rubber, it looks quite happy.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #1711 on: August 13, 2021, 03:03:09 PM »

I want one.  Smiley
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #1712 on: August 14, 2021, 04:38:25 AM »

I want one.  Smiley

Yuk, I don’t!  It is only two dimensional like we made as kids and doesn’t look like a model aeroplanes!  And that prop on the back?  Strewth - what on earth put that idea into your head.  Have you not been taking your medication because all your other models look good.  I hope that this is an indication of where aeromodelling is going!  Hrrrrumph! 
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1713 on: August 14, 2021, 08:49:33 AM »

David .... is it raining in Norfolk today?!  Cheesy
Give me a full bodied model any day ... but it is the nature of the beast.
I hope to have a go with one at the indoor Nats too .... probably a 'more traditional ' NoCal.

Looks great for what it is intended for, Pete  Smiley
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1714 on: August 14, 2021, 05:28:23 PM »

No, Russ, it has been quite nice actually but too breezy for flying small models. One of the good things about aeromodelling is that it is diverse. But “no cal” is pushing the boundaries too far for me.  It is like distressed jeans - you know the ones with rips in that cost a hundred pounds plus.  I don’t think even the marketing is clever - just that some people are really daft.  Will fall for anything.  Our society is too tolerant.  Now see what you have done.  Set me off again.  OK will take my medication (Hine Brandy) and hope I will be more convivial before I next post.  Maybe of my latest creation - if I can find the picture.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1715 on: August 14, 2021, 06:54:37 PM »

I hope to have a go with one at the indoor Nats too .... probably a 'more traditional ' NoCal.
Looks great for what it is intended for, Pete  Smiley
Thanks, Russ. The delta pusher idea was inspired by Mike Smith who’s just done a NoCal Vulcan in similar style. I doubt I’ll ever get really into profile scale models- there’s too much delicate skill and lightness involved- but they’re good fun, and building one means there’s now yet another contest in which I can participate. I’ll be sure to wear my distressed jeans whenever I fly it.
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1716 on: August 14, 2021, 07:37:14 PM »

Actually that looks Great!
Sadly on one side only.
Bit of a Disappointment that.  Too much like a TV Stage set build imo.
Could one not simply use a thin sheet (hotwired Polystyrene) as the building material?
No fiddly /too fragile stix, No Tissue, No unfinished 'other' side. Plenty light enough.
 Or do the Arcane 'rules' preclude this ??
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #1717 on: August 15, 2021, 01:21:49 AM »

You just never quit do you fred? (AKA Danilo Nekid on FB)

Feel free to build whatever the hell you want, but don't insult people for their choices in aeromodelling. (Are you listening, DavidJP?)  I have a couple of competitive, indoor nocals that conform to the FAC RULES (which you seem to despise) and they have flown over 5 minutes easily on numerous occasions.  I don't mind telling you they look pretty darn nice floating around up near the rafters.  Not one person has ever complained that they look like a movie/stage set!  There's nothing to stop anyone from covering the other side of the fuselage.  More tissue just equals more weight. One could even make the fuselage out of sheet wood, and still meet the despised RULES.. But performance would never be as good as a light, built up framework.  I have a nocal Cessna that weighs ~2.5 gm plus whatever size (rubber) motor I use for the occasion.  I enjoy the challenge of making my boring, 2D ARCANE models fly,using ARCANE technology, within the parameters of ARCANE rules.      I find that very satisfying.

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1718 on: August 15, 2021, 06:10:32 AM »

Yes, I hear what you say indoor.  I suppose my problem is that some people today do not have the same sense of humour that prevailed some years ago.  I am confident that Pete Fardell was completely unaffected by my remarks.  You may have noticed I renewed my compliment on his building skills.  For the avoidance of doubt my clear intention was to express an opinion in a light hearted way.  I only apply “insults” as you would call them (I prefer to use rebuke or criticism) in private.

Oh and Pete I have a friend who is a Chiropractor.  He tells me some of his patients arrive at his clinic because when putting on their distressed jeans they put a foot through the wrong hole which puts them off balance and they fall over. So take care.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1719 on: August 15, 2021, 06:24:39 AM »

I insist you wear distressed jeans next time we meet, David  ... and I will try to pull off your usual sartorial elegance  Smiley
I bet that neither of us will sit right with our new looks  Grin (though my usual distressed look is attained naturally)
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #1720 on: August 15, 2021, 06:55:35 AM »

I suspect this nocal will fly just fine. I've seen David Dodge fly a 16 inch,  twin pusher nocal fly quite well outdoors. He also did a nocal V-173 that flew indoors, in a room that was maybe 50 feet square and with only a 16 or 18 foot ceiling. Maybe the V-173 is the solution for the [email protected]#$%^& minimum weight rules. ;-)
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1721 on: August 16, 2021, 06:42:51 AM »

I insist you wear distressed jeans next time we meet, David  ... and I will try to pull off your usual sartorial elegance  Smiley
I bet that neither of us will sit right with our new looks  Grin (though my usual distressed look is attained naturally)

I am indeed flattered Russ - but distressed jeans - oh dear I fear that will ruin the foppish appearance I so cherish.

But may I quickly return to my "insult".  Someone has pointed out that it could have been considered an insult which was not my intention.  But I have concluded it is a generation thing.  You see when I was a kid "insults" were endured and we thought little of them.  If I had gone to the teacher and said please sir Jimmy Smith called me a (rude name) or said my drawing was rubbish"  I would have been told in no uncertain terms to deal with it and call him one back. "Don't come crying to me"!  And my parents would not have sided with me - save on very rare occasions - just said deal with it!  Now supposing someone said a model of mine was rubbish etc. I know I would not be hurt or offended but probably say "Oh thank you, sorry you feel like that - I now like it even more" And that would be the end of the matter and I would not hold it against the person concerned at all. Similarly when working and I had to defend a corner I could have quite heated arguments - but later we could all be in the bar having a drink or three  and work was forgotten.

As my old granny used to say "Sticks and stones may break may break my bones  but words will never hurt me".  So maybe it is something to do with todays nanny society to which I admit having difficulty in adapting.  

It has also been said that insults only matter when from someone you respect.  It would be very vain to me to believe that anyone on here respected me to any meaningful degree.  

I offer this merely as an explanation and to demonstrate my remarks were not intend as an insult - I had not considered the sensitivity that some embrace today. I make no apologies though.

But enough of that, and to return to topic my recently completed creation - a Curtis Robin - not proving as easy to trim as I thought but for some reason my models never are - I think it needs to be made to turn to the right ........
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1722 on: August 16, 2021, 07:33:16 PM »

Nice shot of your Curtis Robin David. What problems is it displaying?

John
Jasco
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Aero Ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #1723 on: August 17, 2021, 03:45:11 PM »

I'm pretty jealous of the "flight sim skin" you printed on the tissue.  I wonder how that gets accomplished. Beautiful model.

I'm the same age I've always been.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1724 on: August 17, 2021, 04:53:09 PM »

I'm pretty jealous of the "flight sim skin" you printed on the tissue.  I wonder how that gets accomplished. Beautiful model.
Thank you. I wish I could claim it was my own artwork, but I just found a likely Concorde colour profile on the internet, messed around with it a little bit in MS Paint, and then printed it onto tissue fed through my printer on a paper carrier sheet. Here's the art I used, before and after my tweaks.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70   Go Up
Print
Jump to: