Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 21, 2019, 06:38:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 55   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show Your Newest Creation  (Read 96208 times)
climber
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: November 30, 2012, 01:11:19 AM »

Hi there;

I've been still working hard on electronic dethermalizers (some day I'll have to build an airplane) and I have enough of the hardware done to know what it looks like. 

In this case it's for an advanced F1G ship that TMAT designed.  I've got all the bits; I just need time to put it together.  I wanted to the EDT done first so I can make sure the other bits are compatible. 

This particular unit incorporates all of the doodads that I've been trying to put into an EDT.  Four release levers for DPR, stab and other functions, a dual 300 lumen LED strobe (the clear thing on the lower left; there's a daughter board for the other side of the pylon), a 92 DBA buzzer which is painfully loud for providing feedback to the user and to possibly aid in the recovery, a meter resolution altimeter that can record up to 1000 data points per flight, RDT and tracker beacon. 

Underneath are mount points for a servo, connector for a battery and connectors for a Bauer RDT in case the transceiver I chose turns out to be unsuitable. 

It measures 72 x 22 mm and weighs about 11 grams with 50 mAh battery, transceiver, servo and strobe daughter card.  The blue thing on the right is the start switch. 

It's meant to be installed flush with the surface of the pylon.  This is a test installation using 1/64 plywood to test the fit and mounting points.  Since the front plate is also the circuit board it's my plan to use that to reduce the total installation weight since it replaces an equal amount of the pylon's side. 

I still have a lot of work to do.  The firmware for the transceiver and tracker needs much more development but the other bits (altimeter, strobe, buzzer, servo control) are all working.   
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show Your Newest Creation
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: January 26, 2013, 07:30:01 PM »

I am interested in the vultee xp-54 swoose goose. It looks ideal for a small RC model, but initially I am considering building it as a peanut stick & tissue. There is a plan in the download section for an 18" model. I turned out a test glider (13") of sheet styrofoam (egg cartons) with a 3D fuselage to increase drag more representative of the actual model. Including nose weight, it turned out at 7 gm. Glide ratio turned out between 2:1 and 2.5:1 from a height of about 15ft. In order to save weight, I would fly it in gear-retracted mode. Tests showed that an increase in dihedral over that shown in the plans would help directional stability.
  Pics of the glider before testing:
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: January 27, 2013, 01:52:03 PM »

A bulky heavy weirdo from 1943 that was claimed to do 3 minutes on moderate turns.  Yeah .. right.

But the moments are good, decent multispar airfoil, 16" f/w  ... but stab a little small.  Maybe it does at least fly.

Will be finished sometime when I have an urge to get back to it
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: January 28, 2013, 05:41:16 PM »

Very interesting Jim.
U/C looks intersting also.
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: February 05, 2013, 04:31:34 PM »

A loose mockup of the odd bird - fins are pinned on, etc.      Still have to find a nice piece of clear pine for a prop and then make the  shaft assembly, etc.  A number of small details and a lot of sanding, yet.

No lightweight with all this surplus timber     'As is' about 1.5 ounces.  Under the surface lies what could be a decent model for 1943 - if not swamped in formers, stringers and planking that serves little purpose
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: February 05, 2013, 04:39:47 PM »

Jim, It is a bit strange looking.  I wonder why there is sheeting on the outer parts of the stab?  For strength?  Anyway, it looks nicely built, and I bet you'll get it flying, and knowing you, lose it.   Shocked  Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
climber
Silver Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: February 05, 2013, 04:44:25 PM »

Hey Jim;

Looking good so far!

Is Odd Bird the name of the plan?  I kinda like the way it looks.

Craig
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: February 05, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »

No, Craig - just the way I refer to it.

It's actual title is  " R.L.B.4"  - the initials of the designer, though I suspect he had more than three models preceding this.

Caley, I just built it as per plan.  As for flying capabilities .. I haven't yet decided whether to build in a receptacle for a tracker 'bug' in case I'm expecting too much from the thing.  Haven't considered a D/T attachment as yet, either.
PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: February 13, 2013, 08:07:18 PM »

I am working on a change in design for the Vultee xp-54 Swoose Goose as a peanut scale. I am using the Earl Stahl plans for ideas and the 1943 drawings by W. Wylam for scale outlines (available here: http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=3504
vultee_xp-54.gif
). I have only designed and built the wing so far, because I love doing wings. The landing gear is removeable. I will remove the center rib structure before installing in the fuselage. My worktable is a TV tray in the living room, so I can work while the wife watches the telly. Here are some pics of my current progress. More design to be done on the tail feathers and fuselage before I get any further in construction.
Ian
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: February 13, 2013, 08:19:49 PM »

Ian, That wing looks awesome.  My hat off to you to both design and build such an interesting model.  Caley

glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: March 22, 2013, 01:07:18 AM »

I have been meaning to build a small open rubber model for some time, and here it is - 36" span (flat), and 20 grams rubber.
The prop is 17x23, and the blades were on the last coupe I built, before I replaced them with a 18.5 x 23.
This model is currently configured to use 8 strands of 3mm rubber, but I suspect that might be a bit weak - we'll see, I guess.
The barometer is set fair for the weekend, so you never know, it might get an airing soon!

John

Gliders are a part of me.
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: March 22, 2013, 09:54:57 AM »

John, very niceeeee! Love the lines, should be a real performer and very visible in the sky.

Scott
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: March 24, 2013, 04:08:23 PM »

Nice and sunny today, but much to windy (and COLD!) to do anything - except...

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: March 24, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »

Woo-Hoo!  Pete  Sure looks like a KK Senator to me.  Lookin' good kiddo.  Caley

Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: March 25, 2013, 07:55:44 AM »

Jackpot, Caley!
I've managed to burn myself out trying to get too many scale types done, so I'm taking a "rest break" to play with some indoor lightweights and outdoor  "Sport/Competition" types.  I figured it was time to get off my duff with the Senator - been procrastinating enough with it.

The NOS "One-Design League" was (is) a major booster.

A Dedicated Convert to:

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
mike j
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: March 25, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »

Hi all, I had been bitten by a jet bug. Well here's what I have been up to the past week, but other stuff on the back burner for a bit. The Dassault Super Etendard, a work in progress  Roll Eyes
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: March 27, 2013, 08:10:33 AM »

COOL, Mike!  What are you planning to power it with?

Got a bit more done on my SENATOR.

A Dedicated Convert to:

John Boy Paddy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: March 27, 2013, 08:51:02 AM »

Nice Senator Pit, are you fitting a DT? My friends Senator flew off last year and is currently on it's second orbit of the planet  Grin

Here's my West Wings Piper Cub, all 30" of her. I started it way back in 2003, so I think it's time to finish it.
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: March 27, 2013, 01:07:18 PM »

Thanks, John Boy Paddy Wink!
Pop-up wing via Tomy-timer (thanks to PeeTee).  My playpen is kinda cramped with a well traveled rural highway only 150 meters to the West and the prevailing winds from the East.  I'll be lucky to have a day when the breeze/drift is from the North - then I can set the timer for two minutes.

Bent up an applehoney LG for the beast, but I made one bend a bit to short so that the rubber band retainer had to be routed differently.  The 1,2mm (18SWG) wire that I had went on vacation so I used 1mm (19SWG).  Still works fine.

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:

mike j
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: March 27, 2013, 01:27:03 PM »

thanks pit, i had hoped for a rapier application. I guess i will search. edf would be another i supose. there are so many awsome jets to be reproduced. i've been building from 3-views, have a Buccaneer waiting as well SU-25 frogfoot,mig 27, t-38. the list goes on.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: March 27, 2013, 06:36:28 PM »

Very nice Gentlemen.  The way the models are looking, I can only imagine there are airplane noises being made right now.   Grin  Caley

Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 278

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: March 28, 2013, 06:53:55 PM »

Reference reply #410.

John,

Your new rubber job looks to tick all of the boxes for high performance.  I can’t see if it has an underfin but if it has I think that J O’D would be proud to call it one of his own!

You mention using 20 g of rubber in 8 strands of 1/8th (well actually you said 3mm!) and wondered if that would be underpowered.  I can’t resist messing with propeller calculation and I reckon that would give something like a 3 minute motor run.  That sounds a lot but the motor is 30 inches long.  You mention that you used the propeller on a coupe.  I wonder if that was on 10 g in 10 strands with about a one minute motor run or if you steamed up, on 12 strands, nearly vertical, for about 40 seconds.

I should be interested to know the wing chord, the propeller chord at three quarter radius, and, of course, the airframe weight.  Anyway you set it up it looks like a performer and I hope you can find a field big enough to hold it.

John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
mike j
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: March 29, 2013, 11:48:26 AM »

hey pb guy like your build very neat. post some more ideas as well.
PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: March 31, 2013, 05:41:02 PM »

Thanks Mike. Unfortunately, I have been away from home since mid-february covering domestic emergencies and might not be able to get back to building for yet another month. I completed my preliminary plan for the xp-54, but only got the fuselage half built. However, while away, I am working on plans for another really interesting bird, WWI tripe, a bit obscure and it looks like a bear to trim for flight, but we shall persevere there also.
Ian
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: April 04, 2013, 11:01:33 AM »

This probably shouldn't be in the 'Newest Creation' thread as I built it in 1995. However, I blew up the fuselage pretty comprehensively several years ago, and have just got round to building a new one (fuselage, that is).
So, here she sits - a Copland Masterplane Vintage Wakefield - a design that was kitted sometime in the 40's I think.
It has a concealed freewheel clutch between the prop and the noseblock, which 'let go' at near full turns to destroy the fuselage. This time it is silver soldered, and I'm going to back the strandage off a bit - I was running 16 strands of 3/16" tan, which gave quite the climb, so I will be going down to 12 strands (or the equivalent, as I now use nearly all 1/8").
Anyway, a nice looking plane, I've long thought, and a bit less daunting to build than the fully streamlined Coplands.

John

Gliders are a part of me.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 55   Go Up
Print
Jump to: