Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 22, 2019, 04:29:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 55   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show Your Newest Creation  (Read 96585 times)
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: April 04, 2013, 04:54:26 PM »

Very nice indeed, John
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: April 04, 2013, 04:57:41 PM »

My 1943 oddity  - R.L.B.4  -  still stumbles slowly along, steadly gaining weight all the way
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show Your Newest Creation
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: April 04, 2013, 07:08:36 PM »

Your oddity has a lot of charm Jim. Very distinctive shape and thats a very neat looking prop.
The Copeland also looks interesting John - the period seems to have produced many good looking models. It must be fun to fly on all that rubber.
John
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: April 04, 2013, 07:19:28 PM »

Both very good looking rubber jobs.    Smiley
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: April 04, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »

DITTO on OZPAF's remarks.  I think both are "Way Kewl!"  I know, those two words are out of date, but what the heck, I am out of date too.   Grin  Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: April 05, 2013, 07:00:50 PM »

That is NICE, Jim!
I love the fuselage and especially the tail, with the dihedral and the tip fins - reminds me of a Bill Dean model, but I can't think of the name.
John

Gliders are a part of me.
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 278

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: April 05, 2013, 08:35:04 PM »

Jim
That build of yours brings back memories.  I think it was in an early 1940s AM, possibly 1942 or 1943?  I thought it attractive at the time and I still do, despite the redundant lumber.

And Glidermaster John, I think the Bill Dean model you are thinking of is perhaps the WAD20, they both have a similar 'sit'. (BTW did you see my query in post #421 regarding your new 36" Open Rubber job?)

John-Hepcat

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: April 05, 2013, 11:25:07 PM »

1943, John.   
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: April 06, 2013, 02:23:10 PM »

Hi John (Hepcat) - I am afraid I overlooked your queries in #421 about the 36" open model, and I am away from my models just now.

I will fill in the blanks tomorrow.
best
John (Glidermaster)

dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: April 07, 2013, 01:34:34 AM »

Hi
At the upcoming Scale Masters on May 18th _ 19th I've asked flyers to bring along there Vic Smeed Models as a tribute to his passing, while I have a couple of Vics designs I decided to build something new. I chose the 36" towline Glider "Meteorite", this beginners model is from the 70's an I found the plan on OuterZone, What a joy to build this simple model. I used the opportunity to try my hand at Tissue over Mylar, while it turned out OK I'm still not sure if its worth the extra trouble. Only changes I made was a D/T on the tail plane,  rather than tow the model I decided to use a light bungee. Instead of using an auto rudder I've made up an adjustable offset tow hook that I can use in conjunction with the trim tab on the rudder.
Yesterday that pesky wind died so I quickly made a short bungee so I could test it at my small field, I used a coupe motor (1/8" x 10') and about 40' of fishing line, but by the time I got there it was blowing again, Anyway after a few hand glides and a guess on the hook position I gave it a go. Well it towed dead straight to the top of the line, really stretching the rubber and flew of in a nice turn, after about 45 seconds it had used up most of the field landing at the base of the trees at the far end. Wow this is fun! I tried to shorten the rubber and line but this just turned it into a catapult, pinging off at about 20'. When I get the room I'll try a longer bungee and I'll try to remember to set that D/T.
regards Dave
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: April 08, 2013, 10:54:53 AM »

Hi John (Hepcat),
A few details from my small open rubber model;
Wing Chord - 4.5"
Max blade width - 1.57" (@ 6" radius)
Weight - 65gms w/o rubber.

John

flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: April 08, 2013, 12:53:52 PM »

Glidermaster, I send you an email
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: April 09, 2013, 11:40:39 PM »

Dave, Thanks for the link to the Meteorite plan.  I've been wanting to do a towline glider to do something different, and this seems a very easy one to do.  I downloaded the plan and pumped it up to 100 percent, only to find that if youu do that, the size comes out to 48 inch wingspan.  So I reprinted at 66.7 percent to get the 36 inch wingspan.
  I've kind of sputtered on a scale model I am trying to build.  Never really good at scale models, so I may do this to take a break before going back.
  I like the bungee idea.  I've thought about that also, and will give it a try.  I am no longer much of a runner, so bungee is good.   Grin  Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: April 10, 2013, 03:32:27 AM »

Hi Caley,
That's interesting about the size, it does say 36" on the header and I just printed it full size and it came out 36" Roll Eyes
I know what you mean about not being able to run, don't know what happened but it wasn't a problem 20 or 30 years ago.
I tried to build some indoor models, F1Ls, made up a torque meter, a jig for measuring deflection of spars read all these articles but just couldn't come to grips with it, I think if your hearts not really in it then build just what you like, I like to build scale but sometimes it's just such a pleasure to build something simple and straight from a plan then just pick a color scheme you like and go for it. Will watch with interest.
regards Dave
outofbalance
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: April 10, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »

Applehoney,

That prop- so elegant- the director; and the sticks and tissue the symphony. What a beautiful model!

Outofbalance
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: April 19, 2013, 08:09:04 PM »

It's finished!  Finally !!!    It's very rare that I've felt I've been happy to be finished with a build but this one has been a long-prolonged chore, probably because I started it out of curiosity rather than interest and enthusiasm.  It would have been easy to abandon it but that's not my custom.

A portly 77 grams, less tracker, it's already tail heavy and things will be worse when a motor goes into it - so eventual weight with a chunk of lead in the nose is problematical at this time.  I really don't think it will warrant the tracker when it comes to flying - whenever that may be.  Whenever .....

Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: April 19, 2013, 08:29:43 PM »

Very nice Jim.
How is it DT'd?
Is the sod farm available for flying?
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: April 20, 2013, 01:06:39 AM »

>How is it DT'd?

It isn't, Dave.

I figured it too large and heavy for a tipped wing and the dihredralled stab not easiest to have in a stable trailing edge mount.  If it goes away I doubt I'll lose any tears over it ....  though the prop could be useful elsewhere some day I guess. There is a hatch in the lower fuselage for a tracker but that may or may not get used.

yes, there is a sod farm available - but only been there once in at least two years.  Too small to fly anything in a meaningful manner and usually winds on or off the lake.
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: April 20, 2013, 12:02:31 PM »

>How is it DT'd?

It isn't, Dave.

I figured it too large and heavy for a tipped wing and the dihredralled stab not easiest to have in a stable trailing edge mount.  If it goes away I doubt I'll lose any tears over it ....  though the prop could be useful elsewhere some day I guess. There is a hatch in the lower fuselage for a tracker but that may or may not get used.

yes, there is a sod farm available - but only been there once in at least two years.  Too small to fly anything in a meaningful manner and usually winds on or off the lake.

We can be certain that the aircraft has been skillfully constructed and so hope it will surprise you.
Thanks Jim,
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: April 29, 2013, 07:19:01 AM »

Hi Caley - I saw Dave's Meteorite and remembered the book I saw it in (Encyclopedia of Model Aircraft) and had to build one too. The Scale Masters event this year includes a Vic Smeed category  - so fits that too. Very recommended. A fun build. Though yet to fly mine. I'll put some DT system in it and maybe have a go tomorrow.   Smiley
cheers
Tim

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: April 29, 2013, 07:32:43 AM »

Hi Tim
Well its not hard to see what you did on the weekend Grin bare bones Friday night and finished model today. Is Hugo keeping you up nights. Grin
regards Dave
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: April 29, 2013, 08:04:25 AM »

If my DT system is as regular popping up as baby Hugo then should work well. Now where's that old Seelig...

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
climber
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: June 05, 2013, 12:16:44 AM »

Hey;

I've been tinkering with the system I'm using for handling winding tubes.  I've been very happy with it except for the part where I hook the rubber on to the prop.  I currently use an aluminum ring the rubber loops through as an adapter between the rubber and winder/prop.  I use a "T" handle with a hook to hold the rubber ring in the winding tube after winding and to transfer the ring to the prop.  It's awkward and seems to need one more hand than I have.

I like, have and use the dedicated bobbin system for F1B/F1G airplanes use but I wanted a more general system that will work with everything I have from peanuts to Gollywocks and be cheaper and lighter.

So, I created two mods to try and make it easier.  I'll try both the next time I am out flying. 

The first is a modification of the ring itself.  You can see it in the foreground.  The rubber goes through the large hole and the winder/prop hook go through the smaller one.  When I finish winding I pass a wire through the larger hole and install it into the end of the winding tube.  I can then hook the prop on, slide the winding tube into the airplane, insert the rear peg, remove the winding tube and put the noseblock in place.

The second method uses my original aluminum rings but I added some "cheeks" to the end of the winding tube that will hold the ring out so I can hook the prop on.  That's in the background.  I'm hoping (and expecting) this method will work at least as well as the first as all I have to do is modify my winding tubes. 

Both will allow me to hook the prop on while the wound motor is still outside the airplane.  That's one more step that can be performed before the motor gets near the airplane.
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: June 05, 2013, 06:31:01 AM »

K&B40 powered FF Open Power model.   Been working slowly on it for six months.
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: June 05, 2013, 09:25:47 AM »

Gossie, looks great! What pwr. plant do you have on it? Sq. in.'s? Looks like a real floater.

Scott
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 55   Go Up
Print
Jump to: