Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 19, 2019, 02:57:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 55   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show Your Newest Creation  (Read 96117 times)
BEAR
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: November 03, 2013, 07:20:15 AM »

Red Admiral 32" span rubber powered model
Designed by R. S. Brewer
Published in Aero Modeller 1958
I've been building this since the beginning of the year but I lost my mojo and have been too busy with other things but now the weather has turned poo here in the UK I suppose I'D better pull my finger out and finish it  Grin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show Your Newest Creation
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 07:33:09 AM by BEAR » Logged

If you cant take a joke dont do free flight.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: November 03, 2013, 08:23:57 AM »

I agree with you, Bear!  I've a few of the WW/Pro-Scale series, and the wood is quite good.  The kits are still a bit "heavy", as there is a LOT of wood - some of which can be slimmed down and some eliminated.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: November 03, 2013, 07:20:53 PM »

Red Admiral 32" span rubber powered model
Designed by R. S. Brewer
Published in Aero Modeller 1958
I've been building this since the beginning of the year but I lost my mojo and have been too busy with other things but now the weather has turned poo here in the UK I suppose I'D better pull my finger out and finish it  Grin

Nice one BEAR!
I like it.
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Penflex
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

South Africa South Africa

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: November 04, 2013, 06:31:38 AM »

Finally decided to start with a very long and huge project.

I have started to build the Avro Shackleton MR3 with the tail number 1722 (Pelican 22). This is the last Shackleton that is airworthy without a crew.

The biggest problem I have is to keep the weight down. I am looking at around 120 to 150 grams all up weight without motors and prop.

The plan I will using is the one from J M Bodey that he used for a control line model. The plan calls for a 61 inch wingspan. That is a 1.55m wingspan. Most of the fuselage formers and wing air foil parts will have to adapted to ensure that the weight stay down.

I will laminate the fuselage formers from 0.8 x 0.6 x 0.8 (balsa x ply x balsa). The 1.5 balsa on the outside will enable me to cut slots for the 1.5 x 1.5 stringers. 
The main spar will also be laminated as follows 0.8 x 0.6 x 0.8 (balsa x ply x balsa) Additional stringers will be added to the wing to add a bit more strength.
Penflex
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: November 08, 2013, 06:54:34 AM »

all parts done.

Starting assemble the fuselage.

I have a feeling that the ideal weight estimate was a bit on the low side. It looks closer to 250 grams. not many balsa left to remove to save weight  Undecided

The full build is on

http://www.eaze.co.za/index.php/rc-forums/54-free-flight-tips-a-techniques/420-avro-shackleton-mr3-pelican-1722

But it is sooooooo nice to build. All the parts are big.

Next up is the wings!!

Mikkie

climber
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: November 17, 2013, 01:09:16 AM »

Another electronic timer. 

Some of my clubmates have been struggling with dethermalizers so I'm putting something together for them that will cover the bases.  The doodad on the right of the scale is the controller.  Servo won't move to flight position unless controller is attached and timer starts when controller is detached to help make sure no launch occurs without the timer running.  To set the time turn the dial to the desired number of seconds, attach the controller and hit the blue button.  An LED on board flashes to confirm the desired time. 

Runs from a single-cell lipo.  I'm recommending my friends use the E-flite 30 mAh cell meant for the E-flite Vapor micro since they are easy to get and already have a ubiquitous connector.  With that the system weight's around 3.3 grams.  It can sense the battery voltage and refuses to reset servo for flight if the battery is low.  It'll work with an RDT.

Teamed with a 20 mAh cell and a lighter servo like the Falcon Femto the total weight could be brought below 2 grams, not including RDT.
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: November 17, 2013, 04:07:00 AM »

Servo won't move to flight position unless controller is attached and timer starts when controller is detached to help make sure no launch occurs without the timer running. 

Good thinking!

lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: November 17, 2013, 06:07:38 PM »

If you can get anywhere near as light as 250 grams, it will be a real floater. It will have a span squared loading just barely more than a 23 inch model I have that used to do about a minute in dead air. Yours should be better! Particularly if you turbulate the wing or use turbulator spars. Are those scale airfoils? (23018>23012)
http://aerospace.illinois.edu/m-selig/ads/aircraft.html
http://aerospace.illinois.edu/m-selig/ads/coord_database.html#N
It's going to be amazing!
all parts done.

Starting assemble the fuselage.

I have a feeling that the ideal weight estimate was a bit on the low side. It looks closer to 250 grams. not many balsa left to remove to save weight  Undecided

The full build is on

http://www.eaze.co.za/index.php/rc-forums/54-free-flight-tips-a-techniques/420-avro-shackleton-mr3-pelican-1722

But it is sooooooo nice to build. All the parts are big.

Next up is the wings!!

Mikkie

Penflex
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: December 18, 2013, 01:32:33 AM »

Compliments of the season to all on HPA!!

Just an update on the build of the Avro Shackleton MR3 (Pelican 22)

Some pics of the bones. At the moment the scale is at 98 grams

Mikkie
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: December 18, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »

Yoweee, Mikkie! That looks like it could make the flight back to the UK - just don't let it crash in the desert enroute!

Happy Xmas,
Stephen.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: December 18, 2013, 04:44:34 PM »

It has very nice elegant wings Mikkie. Very nice build.
Merry Christmas to all.
John
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: December 19, 2013, 07:07:04 AM »

Hi Mikkie
Your workmanship is superb a real credit ti you and look forward to more progress, Could I make a suggestion, I have a 44" span elect. freeflight Dornier 217 K2 that has a similar construction in the fuse ie just stringers, after a light collision with a post it fell back on the tail with the result shown below. I would suggest you maybe sheet between a couple of stringers from under the wing back to the tail, I know you are conscious of weight but it might prolong its flying career.
regards Dave
Penflex
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: December 19, 2013, 07:27:35 AM »

Thank you Dave

I am planning to do additional strengthening towards the back of the fuselage.

This is why I like to post on HPA. There are some really wise and experienced  modellers out there that assist with good and solid advise.

Mikkie
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: December 23, 2013, 02:51:36 AM »

We had a gift exchange at our church christmas party tonight. We were limited to a cost of $5 max for gifts, but the items could be home crafted, so I built a model. Last year I took 2 weeks to do the 12" Comet Fokker DVII for a gift. This year I did an even faster build of the Piper Vagabond PA-15/17 plan from the plans section of this site - 8 days. The wing plan turned out just over 13". I didn't end up with enough time to do wing struts or LG fairings.
I redesigned the wing with a layout I intend to try in a bostonian design. The spar is a 1/32" inverted T of 6mm depth glued to a 3/32" x 1/32" bottom cap strip. I assumed that the balsa would be stronger in tension than in compression, resulting in a stronger spar under normal loads with this configuration. The leading and trailing wing edges were 1/16" x 1/8" the 'X' bracing was light 1/16" square. Bare wing structure weighed 1.40g. Covered with pre-shrunk $ store tissue it was 2.37g. After 2 coats of thinned dope it was 2.66 g. Finished fuselage at 2.9 gm & tail feathers at .81 gm. I used some rock-hard balsa from an old kit to build the fuselage longerons. It was so hard that I had to soak the balsa in hot water to get a curve in it, and I did the 'nick, break and glue' method to get the minor bends in place. Just a couple of pics of the result here.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: December 23, 2013, 08:45:29 AM »

neat idea and nice build, PB_guy.  What was the finished RTF weight?

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: December 23, 2013, 04:21:04 PM »

Nice work PB. That looks a fairly quick, strong and light way of building a wing.
So who ended up with the present - a young kid or an old one Grin
Merry Christmas
John
PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: December 24, 2013, 01:43:28 AM »

I forgot to weigh the finished model  Roll Eyes It was 1am Sunday morning and I was just finishing building the box to pack it in. When the ribbon was tied, I did a forehead smack. I had neither weighed it, nor taken a final photo. The photo of the finished model was done at the party. The recipient was a random draw, but it went to a younger adult male. He seemed interested enough in flying it. I am away from home for the holidays, so I don't know how it is flying yet.
PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: January 05, 2014, 02:05:01 AM »

I went flying today with my 7 year old granddaughter in our back yard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95du86V4ai0
It was a balmy +1C (33F). I wanted to flight test my latest project. This is a scaled-down Baby Biplane. The original design was 12". This one is 8 1/4" w/s. I made some modifications as I went along. I built an I-beam spar for the upper wing and used 1/16" sq cross-bracing for stiffness. I built laminated wingtips for the upper and lower wings. I covered all sides of structures with pre-shrunk $ store tissue finished with 2 coats of thinned dope. I weighed the project as it went along to see where the weight accumulates. Weights are: bare structure/covered with tissue/+2 coats thin dope;
Fuselage: 0.61(w/o lg)/1.36(with lg)/1.46 gram
Upper Wing: 0.65/1.11/1.30 gram
Lower Wing: 0.27/0.65/0.80 gram
Tail Surfaces: 0.26/0.49/0.61 gram
Total: 1.79/3.61/4.17 gram
Assembled with struts, wheels, rubber & prop raised the flying weight to 8.2 grams.
So  it seems that the covering basically doubles the weight of the bare frame and the paint adds 20% more. At least in peanut sized structures.
 The model used a 5" guillows prop, powered by a 6" loop of 3/32 at 400 turns. The maiden flight was 20 seconds and managed to circle our plum tree. Unfortunately, the landing broke loose the upper wing, so the second flight, which my granddaughter made ended up with a hard landing that separated the upper wing, but left no other damage. End of flying today.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: January 05, 2014, 04:30:51 AM »

PB Guy,  Way to go kiddo.  Happy to see a young lady getting some exposure to the hobby.  She definitely sounded enthusiastic.  That little bipe looks like it will do very well indoors, once you get things back together.  Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: January 05, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »

That looked fun - at least your grand daughter thought so.Terrific.
John
jernst
Gold Member

Kudos: 39

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: January 06, 2014, 08:13:56 AM »

Just finished this yesterday....

It's a Laird Limousine, but from Dave Stott 16" plans - enlarged to 21" span.

john
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: January 06, 2014, 08:24:12 AM »

John,  Interesting airplane, and very nice work.

What's stall speed?  Undecided
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: January 07, 2014, 01:39:43 AM »

John, Impressive as always.
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: January 07, 2014, 03:58:37 AM »

Very nice John, handsome model!

Did the open cockpit airplanes have any provision for when it was rainy? On this one the cockpit is somewhat sheltered by the upper wing but many other passenger planes from that era have cockpits fully exposed to the elements. Just wondering  Huh...
jernst
Gold Member

Kudos: 39

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: January 07, 2014, 07:57:36 AM »

Thanks everyone. I have really enjoyed building these simplified, slightly enlarged 'dime scale' models. For me, the 20"-22" span range is a real sweet spot.  Wink

As for inclement weather flying, I hadn't given it much thought. Maybe if it was raining before take off, the flight was delayed or cancelled? If it began raining during flight, then I bet it became very sloppy inside the cockpit and cabin.

john ernst
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 55   Go Up
Print
Jump to: