Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 19, 2019, 05:28:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 55   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show Your Newest Creation  (Read 96106 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #625 on: July 01, 2014, 03:11:27 AM »

Especially the lozenges; they're just gorgeous. Even the painted over ones under the blue look spot on. They were a brave choice!
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #626 on: July 01, 2014, 03:27:31 AM »

Pete, thanks but actually the painting over thing was a relief because I could just slap on the lozenges anyhow, one coat. Another good thing was that the painted lozenges on the centre section and tail were 'an approximate match', which they very much are. Before the blue went on, the fuselage looked horrible.
I've been thinking about this model for 40 years and I'm glad I've got it out of my system. Whether it works or not remains to be seen.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #627 on: July 01, 2014, 03:49:37 AM »

Very nice Bill, all the best with the flying. I seem to remember in Eric Coates famous series of articles a photo of one, by I think, Terry Manley where it placed well in a competition. Superb job on the finish. Kudos
Dave
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #628 on: July 01, 2014, 04:34:07 AM »

Dave
Yes, it was Terry's model that inspired mine. I have a flying shot of it passing overhead. Both models are the same size, power and (with the lead in the nose) weight. It placed second at that year's nats. The finish was a bit garish and Terry told me he subsequently painted it pale grey!
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #629 on: July 01, 2014, 04:36:03 AM »

A Guillows Nieuport 28 from the gallery, enlarged to 26" for next year's kit scale.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show Your Newest Creation
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #630 on: July 01, 2014, 05:55:56 AM »

Especially the lozenges; they're just gorgeous. Even the painted over ones under the blue look spot on. They were a brave choice!

He's had plenty of practice.  He was doing good lozenges when he was 16(?) - LVG something or other.
Bingo Fuel
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #631 on: July 01, 2014, 10:29:18 PM »

Bill,  Nice Nieuport 28.  I was just looking at my original Guillow kit.  Wood is more in line with concrete. Just don't put it in French roundels as the kit had it.  Jeese ya would think the guys at Guillows would have known the Americans flew them.   I'm thinking Telco CO2 for one.  I'm not going electric. Much lighter wood too.  Can't wait to see yours finished.  Super Hanover.  Like Wow!!!  Regards Bingo
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #632 on: July 02, 2014, 01:25:16 AM »

Hi Bingo
TBH I hadn't noticed the French scheme on the plan. How very odd.
It's almost ready for covering and then spraying all those colours but after lozenges they will be easy.
Swarthog
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #633 on: July 10, 2014, 01:09:21 PM »

First up a Comet Phantom Fury. I used iron on transfers for the parts and used the kit plan. I also found some wooden black wheels that are just right.  I need to drill the nose block and finish adjusting the stab which I mounted on nylon screws. Covered with Rit dyed Esaki Plyspan and painted with acrylic. She was practice for my planned Sparky build.   

Next is my long suffering Jimmie Allen Skokie. From the Laser cut Easy Built kit. I had built the fuse sides together for the first time and ran into a few issues so I shelved it for 6 months, now it's done, save landing gear. She is called the Chinacat Sunflower.
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 93

Ignore
« Reply #634 on: July 10, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »

A Guillows Nieuport 28 from the gallery, enlarged to 26" for next year's kit scale.

Nice Bill!!  Actually I've been working on this series for some time now. Scaled up to 24" w/s but
none are anywhere near ready.

swarthog,
    Nice work! I've got about 6 or 8 in my storage that need to be completed. Cool tip in the Rite dye.

Skyraider
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #635 on: July 10, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »

Here's my latest - An antidote to the current crop of bought F1A's.  Wink

All wood flying surfaces (Spruce spars), tissue over mylar covering, thin card capstrips, KSB timer, carbon tailboom and circle towhook. AUW is well under even with a slab of church roof in the nose to take the CofG to 54%. (398gms) Currently awaiting test flights

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #636 on: July 10, 2014, 03:22:47 PM »

Here's my latest

Smashing - not literally I hope, and I do love underfins. However, surely you can't fly this in classic glider on Sunday Grin

I'm sure it'll get the Andy Crisp seal of approval for 'proper' gliders Wink

Peter
ps I've not forgotten the CO2 adaptor. If all else fails I'll get it delivered on the London Gala Saturday.
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #637 on: July 10, 2014, 03:43:59 PM »

Cheers Peter - you may know already I have a bit of a thing about underfins - especially on circle-tow models; my feeling is that without wing wigglers and such black magic a normal top fin can be sometimes ineffective getting the b***dy thing 'round the bottom of the circle leading to much galloping about (which might keep onlookers entertained, but is no god for my poor old heart)  Grin

I've a choice of a couple of classics for Sunday, but will probably plum for my much battered and well flown Inchworm rather than the newer and sleeker looking Nike which has yet to convince me of it's ability to string three maxes in a row. It must be said it looks fabulous though and I've made a few rather drastic trim changes to try and sort it out . . . .

London Gala will be fine for the CO2 thingymajig - not going to fly them before then anyway.

Toodlepip
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #638 on: July 11, 2014, 08:59:26 PM »

Here's another one from me. A mixture of 2 designs. Wing and tail group are from the 'Canarsie Condor' by Don Ross. The fuselage is an enlarged and flipped over version of the one from a Comet Jupiter. Span is approx. 27". Weight without rubber is a portly 36.7 grams
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #639 on: July 11, 2014, 09:12:11 PM »

First up a Comet Phantom Fury. I used iron on transfers for the parts and used the kit plan. I also found some wooden black wheels that are just right.  I need to drill the nose block and finish adjusting the stab which I mounted on nylon screws. Covered with Rit dyed Esaki Plyspan and painted with acrylic. She was practice for my planned Sparky build.    

Next is my long suffering Jimmie Allen Skokie. From the Laser cut Easy Built kit. I had built the fuse sides together for the first time and ran into a few issues so I shelved it for 6 months, now it's done, save landing gear. She is called the Chinacat Sunflower.

Love the paint schemes on these 2. Finishes don't always have to be serious.  Grin
Be sure to post pics of the Sparky when it's done, if you don't do a build thread.

Here's my latest - An antidote to the current crop of bought F1A's.  Wink

All wood flying surfaces (Spruce spars), tissue over mylar covering, thin card capstrips, KSB timer, carbon tailboom and circle towhook. AUW is well under even with a slab of church roof in the nose to take the CofG to 54%. (398gms) Currently awaiting test flights.

Looking forward to flight pics. Nicely done. Smiley
Graiskye
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #640 on: July 13, 2014, 08:44:01 PM »

First up a Comet Phantom Fury. I used iron on transfers for the parts and used the kit plan. I also found some wooden black wheels that are just right.  I need to drill the nose block and finish adjusting the stab which I mounted on nylon screws. Covered with Rit dyed Esaki Plyspan and painted with acrylic. She was practice for my planned Sparky build.    

Great stuff from everyone.As is the usual.
 I had to chuckle, none of you old hippies mentioned Jerry G. and crew, peering out from the Skokies cabin... I mean 'Chinacat Sunflower'. come on gang, or has it actually been that long.
 Time stops for no man.
Not even Jerry Garcia.

PS: upon closer look I think they all may be pics of JG, first one he is young ? Neat, and a great conversation starter...lol.

"When I think of something monumentally witty, Ill let you know, till then you'll have to amuse yourselves."
Graiskye
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #641 on: July 13, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »

Here's my latest - An antidote to the current crop of bought F1A's.  Wink

All wood flying surfaces (Spruce spars), tissue over mylar covering, thin card capstrips, KSB timer, carbon tailboom and circle towhook. AUW is well under even with a slab of church roof in the nose to take the CofG to 54%. (398gms) Currently awaiting test flights
YAY. Beauty as well.

"When I think of something monumentally witty, Ill let you know, till then you'll have to amuse yourselves."
Swarthog
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #642 on: July 14, 2014, 04:57:56 PM »

Look for awhile at the China Cat Sunflower
proud-walking jingle in the midnight sun
Copper-dome Bodhi drip a silver kimono
like a crazy-quilt stargown
through a dream night wind...

Not going to see too many "serious" airplanes from me. I have too much fun with them. Graiskye, you are correct.  Three pictures of Jerry waving his 4 fingered hand at different stages in his career. Wow he died 19 years ago, way too soon. The music of my youth lives on and some days we can turn back the clock for a little while.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #643 on: July 18, 2014, 05:54:27 PM »

Hi Bingo
TBH I hadn't noticed the French scheme on the plan. How very odd.
It's almost ready for covering and then spraying all those colours but after lozenges they will be easy.
In the end I opted for a very simple scheme to get it ready for Old Warden but I am thinking of a 1/12 diesel version to go inside some Callie graphics markings.
It weighs 2.8oz before lead
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #644 on: July 22, 2014, 08:29:09 AM »

Grin
here's a pic of my guillows 900 series mustang.  I've flight tested it in my back yard and it flys good.  just keep an eye on trimming adjustments thanks to the erratic winds that make it thru the trees
jim
korale
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #645 on: July 23, 2014, 08:02:43 PM »

I wanted to see how small I could build.

I'm trying to build a 1/2 pistachio scale Himax. (4 inch wingspan)

Here are the fuselage and tail feathers. I'm using this fuselage to test out the prop/rubber combination to see how long a motor run I can get. I'm building another fuselage that will be neater and more robust.
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #646 on: July 29, 2014, 12:25:21 AM »

Here is my latest peanut.  A Vickers Jockey 151.   I reduced the 20" WS Scientific plan obtained from the HP plan gallery.

Bob
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #647 on: July 29, 2014, 02:00:09 AM »

Looking good Bob. Is that silver Esaki or lightly sprayed silver colour?
Im an interested in hearing how it flies.
Roman
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #648 on: July 29, 2014, 09:25:10 AM »

Roman
Roman....I used one thin coat of Testor's acrylic enamel sprayed on white Esaki.  I will be flying this weekend and hope to get a video (or at least photos).  I think I messed up the decalage (appears to be negative 1 degree) but I think I can correct with the adjustable elevator.  The weight (everything except the rubber motor) is 13.7 grams.  I put a motor together using (3) strips of 1/8" by 6" length.  The motor (with o'rings) only weighs 1.9 grams.  That is barely over 10% of the plane weight.  Do you think this will work?  I had always assumed one needed to aim for a motor weight of at least 20%.  However, when I tried longer motors I had all kinds of problems with bunching and hitting the fusealage.  I have seen your planes fly and you know what you are doing.  How would you power this Jockey.  Thank you in advance for your time.

Bob

Bob
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #649 on: July 29, 2014, 11:26:07 AM »

Roman
Roman....I used one thin coat of Testor's acrylic enamel sprayed on white Esaki.  I will be flying this weekend and hope to get a video (or at least photos).  I think I messed up the decalage (appears to be negative 1 degree) but I think I can correct with the adjustable elevator.  The weight (everything except the rubber motor) is 13.7 grams.  I put a motor together using (3) strips of 1/8" by 6" length.  The motor (with o'rings) only weighs 1.9 grams.  That is barely over 10% of the plane weight.  Do you think this will work?  I had always assumed one needed to aim for a motor weight of at least 20%.  However, when I tried longer motors I had all kinds of problems with bunching and hitting the fusealage.  I have seen your planes fly and you know what you are doing.  How would you power this Jockey.  Thank you in advance for your time.

Bob
The plane should fly OK with a single loop (2 strands) of 3/32nd, and a length of (for testing/initial trimming) 1.5 times the distance between the prop hook and the rear anchor.  A longer motor can be tried after you get the plane flying.

One thing I see that could be a problem with this otherwise fine looking model, is the apparent insufficient dihedral.  You want the wingtips at least above the thrust line for roll stability.  Have you had a chance to test glide it?  What diameter prop are you gouing to use?

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 55   Go Up
Print
Jump to: