Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 12, 2019, 05:15:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 55   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show Your Newest Creation  (Read 95732 times)
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #825 on: August 13, 2015, 12:41:55 AM »

Brent, yes I started some first trimming. It looks not bad, but I am not there yet.
It was hot and windy for quite some time. Hope that I can go on as soon as possible.
I was afraid of an excessive bank to the left. But it seems to be controllable. I installed an adjustable nose button to be able to adjust it on the field.

I will post news and some pics as soon as possible.

Roman
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #826 on: August 13, 2015, 02:04:27 PM »

Nice bones pix, Bob. She's gonna be a beauty when finished  Smiley .

Hopefully it won't require a lot of nose weight.

I've never covered a wing with a scalloped T.E. so will be following your tissue method when you get to that point. Looks difficult, but maybe it's not as bad as I think  Grin .

Jim (6aw6)

Jim,

This is my first WW1 Bipe and hence my first attempt at covering a scalloped trailing edge.  I found it similar to any other edge covering in that I wet my finger with thinned white glue and roll the tissue over the edge until it looks smooth.   The color scheme shown is from an internet search and I liked it because I wanted to have a go at drawing a tiny little red goose!

Bob

PS:  In my typical distracted manner, I reversed the red and blue color on the stab and will be changing it.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show Your Newest Creation

Bob
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #827 on: August 14, 2015, 12:55:34 AM »

Bob, looking god.
Such mistakes happen a lot to me.... I am happy that I am not the only one Grin

Roman
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #828 on: August 14, 2015, 01:04:23 AM »

Definitely some nice work.  I built a jumbo Moraine Saulnier type N, and basically created my own air force markings.  Part are British, and the other markings French.  But I don't care.  I like it.  If I only had the courage to glide test it, let alone try flying it.  Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #829 on: August 17, 2015, 02:31:24 PM »

I guess I wasn't as distracted as I thought.  I colored the stab after looking at the Comet box art that showed Red White then Blue.  Then I noticed that the internet pics showed Blue White then Red.  It appears the Spad is ambidextrous. 

Bob
HoveToo
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #830 on: August 18, 2015, 04:36:07 AM »

Bob,
The blue first colours are for the French air force, the US and Royal Flying Corps Spads have red first. If you want to get into the spirit of the era I recommend reading Winged Victory by V.M. Yeates which although written as a novel is based upon the authors experiences flying in WW1. It is very English but then its accurate for the events described. I obtained a copy for my kindle for about $1.50.

Ian
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #831 on: August 18, 2015, 07:02:52 AM »

That is a nice Spad.  Very appealing aeroplane.  Certainly on my to do list and might now move it up a few notches seeing yours.

I to can endorse the reference to V M Yeates book. Superbly written and ranks alongside Richard Hillary's "Last Enemy".

Very sad in a way because Yeates died quite not long after he had completed the book. His wife survived him for quite a time but never really got any benefit from the sales.  It was much sought after during WWII by pilots apparently as used copies went for as much as £5 which was a weeks wages for some aircrew!

I have also seen a few caught out by the fin flash colouring too.
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #832 on: August 18, 2015, 10:44:40 AM »

Thanks for the information David and Ian...........this is another reason I like this site.  Not only do I get good advice on building the aircraft I can learn a little history to boot.  I truly appreciate your taking the time to give a little background on the aircraft.  I was hesitate to try a bi-plane (especially at 12" wingspan) but I have grown to like it.  There is something to the historical look of them.  I am at the point of wishing I had it fully covered and doped because I can't wait to add the little gun!   I also have a Jenny (Sterling Peanut) kit purchased on ebay that is beckoning me to start.

Bob

Bob
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #833 on: August 19, 2015, 06:34:56 AM »

Finally got my P-30 "Pee Wee" to the flying stage (also in the P-30 thread).  A couple of very low power tests on a very breezy day were promising, even tho the model got bounced around a lot - our field has had a lot of un-characteristic turbulence lately, preventing flying from even the rc group.

I ended up having to add a bit of weight to the TAIL of the model (it's the partially built version), mainly due to using mylar for the stab/fin covering (< 1gram).  It seems to still be a bit nose heavy but may only need a small shim at the stab TE.

Weather has stabilized and not so hot, but the humidity today (at the moment) is way too high.  It's supposed to dry out by late this PM and continue with very light breezes thru Saturday, so I may get to do some serious trimming done.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #834 on: August 31, 2015, 11:14:20 AM »

A little more progress on the Spad.  I mistakenly referred to a little red goose in an earlier post.  I meant little red swan.  Regardless of what it is, it is small !  I reduced a copy of it down to about a 1/2" height, traced it on a piece of doped red tissue, cut it out with the trusted no 11 blade and then applied it to the fuselage with a little thinned dope.  Also tried something new for me on the stab in that I installed it to pivot in an enlarged slot to allow a little up or down adjustment.  I have used hinges elevators on my peanut scales in the past, but this is the first one where the entire stab pivots.  I hardened the wood at the front of the stab with super glue and then installed two pieces of pin for it to pivot up and down on.  My thought is that by using two pins it will keep the stab from rotating laterally but still allow it to move up and down.  I plan to use a small piece of foam to set the angle of attack. 

Bob
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #835 on: September 08, 2015, 09:59:04 AM »

Grin.  hi cloudsters.I am Working onm the Comet CORSAIR at 20 inches and will be submitting the buils to the Maxecuters as soon as it is finished.

JIM Grin
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #836 on: September 14, 2015, 12:37:22 PM »

Started some of the detailing on the Spad.  Couple of guns, exhaust pipe and foam wheels.  I am using two small magnets to hold the nose plug in place and since a preliminary balance said I needed 2.5 grams in the nose, the magnets don't really represent extra weight as they along with the metal strips came in a just under 2 grams.  I wish I had installed the windshield before attaching the top wing.  It is gonna be difficult to attach it now.  Live and learn.  This is my first bipe.

Bob
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #837 on: September 14, 2015, 01:40:38 PM »

Grin  here is my comet corsair at 20 inches. i have test flown it and it works.  the full build will appear in an upcoming maxecuter issue
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #838 on: September 20, 2015, 05:18:04 AM »

I've been poking away at this A-26 INVADER from the Comet plan for the past week or so, while waiting for a lull in the weather.  I've wanted to do this one again, since the last one (original Comet kit) got scrunched during my move to this apartment - one of three models that the packers got to before I was able to get it into my car Angry.

This one is considerably lighter @ 24.8 grams as shown in the last photo, even tho "back then" I felt that the bones (it was ready for covering) was quite reasonable.  I've kept pretty close to the original plan, just modifying the airfoil to a "sorta" Clark "Y" (chopped off the lower portion at the bottom of the fish-mouth).  We'll see if it works...

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #839 on: September 20, 2015, 06:59:55 AM »

Pete, Great looking set of bones.  Caley

ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 87

Ignore
« Reply #840 on: September 20, 2015, 12:38:16 PM »

Just completed the SKYRAIDER
She shows up in another sect. of HPA
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #841 on: September 20, 2015, 01:34:38 PM »

Wow Mike.  You built a gorgeous model! The details are incredible, including the four-bladed prop.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #842 on: September 20, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »

Mike, That is beautiful.  Wonderful covering and details.  Caley

Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #843 on: September 24, 2015, 12:49:01 PM »

My latest build cover here with Brent's Connie is my Lockheed Starliner 1649 here on HPA Free Flight Scale.  Gotta get her into the air.
Sky9pilot

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #844 on: September 24, 2015, 12:58:06 PM »

That's totally awesome.  I'm sure it will fly as good as it looks.  Caley

Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #845 on: September 24, 2015, 01:48:46 PM »

Just completed the SKYRAIDER
She shows up in another sect. of HPA
I followed your Skyraider build Mike..and took many many notes.  I plan to use your technique on a Comet P38 I bought on Ebay.  Your Skyraider is an fantastic example of the scale look that is proud to be a model.  I hope I don't offend the superb builders on HPA (including you Mike) when I say that I like a great model that still tells you it is stick and tissue over museum scale types.

Bob
Pat D
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #846 on: November 04, 2015, 04:06:13 PM »

Here is my peck polymers one night 28 hybrid

it flies rubber with a gizmo geezer and balanced prop, the second configuration is Co2 with a GM 73 contest engine which is interchangeable

the rubber bands allow me to move the wing back and forward to fix CG

Viscous DT also fitted

Real nice flier too
BillE
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #847 on: November 11, 2015, 02:46:20 PM »

Just about ready to cover a Veron Tiger Moth shown here. Third in the Veron series for me starting with the Comper Swift (inspired by Mike Stuart's great website build demonstration). I found I had started the Bebe Jodel to go with the prop I had carved out of pine. Having a collection of attractive plans ready and waiting is too much of a temptation. Both of these are trimmed and fly pretty well - only about 15s so far but lots of scope for longer motors when the warm weather returns.

I am beginning to get the hang of these delicate structures. I know there are much more delicate ones but these are a lot more fragile than I am used to. It is a challenge holding them without crushing them. There certainly is a huge amount of inspiration available on this site.
Bill
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #848 on: November 11, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »

Bill

You've built some real beauts there - there's something poetic about clear tissue covering and minimal extra tissue/detail.

And I agree, this site and ffscale are really inspirational!

Jon
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #849 on: November 11, 2015, 06:44:40 PM »

Love the covering job on your models Bill.

John
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 55   Go Up
Print
Jump to: