Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 12, 2019, 06:34:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 55   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show Your Newest Creation  (Read 95745 times)
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: June 05, 2013, 07:18:14 PM »

Hi Scott, it's 700 square inches and weighs 33 ounces.
It has a Series70 K&B40 to drag it up there, on crankcase pressure into hard tank, and flood off to shut it down.
Auto rudder and VIT and of course DT all worked by a Seelig timer.

FWIW the white on the wing is Polyspan, and tips and stab are double covered......Esaki Lite red Jap. tissue, water shrunk with two coats of dope, then red Starspan doped on.......Very strong.
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: June 06, 2013, 08:56:54 AM »

Gos, polyspan is good stuff!! I use it on my Nostalgia class modes due to the open wing structure. On my Pwr. models with Geodetic construction I use Ultra Coat light or std. Ultra Coat on the big Stuff. Can't wait to hear about the flights.

Scott
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: June 08, 2013, 12:21:14 PM »

Just an update on my xp54 peanut. Currently at 4.5gm total. Some days I get as much as an hour to do some work on it. I am covering with domestic tissue, using a junky brother printer on pre-shrunk tissue.
Ian
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show Your Newest Creation
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: June 12, 2013, 03:09:47 PM »

PB_guy, interesting plane... will follow with interest. What plan are you using?

Some progress on my Yak-3. The bones are nearly finished. Some more sanding is needed. Will start chalking the tissue next.
Also plan to reinforce the propeller blades with a coat of glass mat.

Any ideas on how to glue the canopy to the fuse?

Regards Roman
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: June 12, 2013, 04:38:49 PM »

There is a discussion on just that topic of gluing canopies; http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=313.0
The plans are my own, using 3-views from MAN and Earl Stahl's plans as a guide to construction techniques. I keep making errors and making mental notes on how to do things better. For instance, I would make a top/bottom crutch, rather than a left/right crutch next time. I had to remove some fuselage structure to get the wing in. The removable landing gear are plugged in to aluminum tubing, but the angles of the tubing is critical to easy removal. I just made some acceptable wing skins, but before applying them, I discovered that I had the right/left wing emblems reversed. Now back to the drawing board. I have more tissue shrinking, and when dry, I will run off the skins the right way around this time. Live and learn, I guess. Without a supplier for rubber powered models on the island, I have to order supplies by mail, which can take 6 weeks to arrive, greatly delaying construction. I am not happy with the current weight of the model, but not overly.

You have a nice light project there. congrats.
Ian
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: June 14, 2013, 06:56:57 PM »

Well it's been a while since I've posted anything worthwhile here. This probably isn't worthwhile either.

I built a fastback version of the Maxout IV just because...it looks like it'll fly just fine...nice floating glide and all. I had to tweak the stab so larger rudders could be installed since that 8" prop warrants a little more yaw control than the 6-7" props I used on these back in the day. No idea of the weight, but power is a loop of 3/16 at the moment, and that seems more than sufficient to keep it going.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: June 14, 2013, 07:29:49 PM »

Interesting models Pb, Roman and Maxout. The thin airfoil on the YAK appeals to me Roman.
Thats a challenging build PB and also trimming exercise I would guess.
Nice little sports model Maxout - it should be lively with that prop.
John
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: June 14, 2013, 07:41:38 PM »

Well it's been a while since I've posted anything worthwhile here. This probably isn't worthwhile either.

I built a fastback version of the Maxout IV just because...it looks like it'll fly just fine...nice floating glide and all. I had to tweak the stab so larger rudders could be installed since that 8" prop warrants a little more yaw control than the 6-7" props I used on these back in the day. No idea of the weight, but power is a loop of 3/16 at the moment, and that seems more than sufficient to keep it going.
Not sure what you mean by a 'fastback version', but I've always admired this Embryo design from you from 2002?
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 75

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: June 15, 2013, 11:27:16 AM »

New bones of John Blankenship's simple peanut Hawker Fury (Flying Models, December, 1974) enlarged to 15" but keeping most of the wood the original size.   The forward fuselage upper decking is 1/64 balsa sanded to something less than that.

Mark
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: June 15, 2013, 01:02:21 PM »

That's really a work of art, very tidy work.  Always liked Mr. Blankenship's designs...

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: June 17, 2013, 08:56:13 AM »

Not sure what you mean by a 'fastback version', but I've always admired this Embryo design from you from 2002?
Dave

Thanks Dave. The original Maxout was built in early 2002, and by the end of the year I'd drawn up the Maxout IV, which seems to have become the definitive version at this point.

I call it a fastback because in a departure from the rest of the Maxout series, the top of the fuselage is a straight line from the wing TE almost all the way to the stab, like the old "fastback" Cessna 172's from 1956-mid 60's. It allows more room for rubber and makes for a simpler, stronger structure. Alas, it also increases wetted area of the fuse, but I can't tell any difference. What with the wing improvements, I think it glides better than the old ones. Smiley
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: June 17, 2013, 09:29:06 AM »

After all these years, I finally built a Satellite.  A 226 from a Klarich kit.  This is for One Design at this years' NATS.  A front end shot shows the very very first installation of the new Texas Timers Micro-MAX 2-function timer.  It was designed for .020's so no telling how it will hold up behind a Tee Dee .049.

Other attached file(s):

* Half A Satellite 226 005.jpg (278.4 KB - downloaded 36 times.)

* Half A Satellite 226 005.jpg (278.4 KB - downloaded 26 times.)
flydean1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: June 17, 2013, 09:31:26 AM »

OK, I will try again.
Attached files
* Half A Satellite 226 005.jpg (278.4 KB - downloaded 34 times.)
flydean1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #463 on: June 17, 2013, 09:32:09 AM »

For some reason, only the front end shot will post.  Sorry.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: June 17, 2013, 04:53:44 PM »

I don't know what's going on with the other pictures, but the front end shot looks good, Dean - Nice!

Gliders are a part of me.
Penflex
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

South Africa South Africa

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: August 06, 2013, 08:33:28 AM »

Hi

Just completed my Starleaf Dash 8

it flies very well and has now been completed in the South African SA EXPRESS livery.

will post some pics after the next flight

Penflex
Penflex
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: August 06, 2013, 08:42:57 AM »

Also nearing completion is the Pilatus Porter that due for completion for the scale event in Oudtshoorn RSA end Sept 2013. This is part of a group build for the event.

There should be around 8 Porters for the mass launch on the last day.

The livery for this one is the South Africa Police Porter ZS-NIU

Penflex
Swarthog
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: August 06, 2013, 03:35:41 PM »

Nice work Pen! Where and when is the event happening? By chance I'm going to be in SA at the end of Sept. in the Johannesburg area.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: August 06, 2013, 07:09:33 PM »

Both look very neat Penn. Good luck with your mass fly of the Porters.
John
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: August 07, 2013, 02:27:21 AM »

Great Dash and Porter. Do you fly the Dash 8 indoor?!

I like the Pilatus Porter. Long fuse with plenty of space for the rubber. What plan did you use for the Porter? Hope you will share some photos / infos after the event.

Roman
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: August 15, 2013, 04:05:44 AM »

Here's my latest, Sherman Gillespie's Square Bird. I built this one in a hurry after losing my Navy Flier to Hung, two weeks prior to my club's Gillespie contest. This little bird proved to be a great flier and got the trophy Cheesy.

Here's a link to a short video...

http://youtu.be/TBe_axZQHGo

--Ates
Bulldogger
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: August 15, 2013, 08:04:10 AM »

To dust of my balsa modeling FF chops, I built a Guillows F-6F Hellcat.  I've got a more adventurous build going now in the Outdoor FF Scale section, but this plane was my first kit build in 25 years or so.  It's got some simple lightening tricks, but is mostly stock.  I have been getting modest duration flights out of it using the supplied Guillows blue rubber, but plan to buy some contest or sport rubber before long.  It is covered in Hallmark brand tissue bought from the nearby drugstore, sealed with two light coats of Krylon Acrylic Clear spray paint.  This tissue and sealant has held up surprisingly well, with lots of landings/crashes and only one small repair, which was necessary only recently after dozens of flights.
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo278/TigerAlex/Model%20Airplanes/IMG_0367_zpsbd742aca.jpg

Alex
Show Your Newest Creation
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 44

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: August 15, 2013, 08:08:55 AM »

That's a very clean model atesus! Grin
I actually caught your other video of the event last night.
Great flier. Congrats to you. Smiley

Tony

Instructions: Step One...Assemble the pile of sticks shown in pic "A" to look like the model airplane shown in pic "B"........
Penflex
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: August 15, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »

Thanks Swarthog.

The event is the Oudtshoorn RC Scale taking place 26 to 29 Sept. I will post some pics of the event and links to events official pics

Thanks rgroener.

we do most of our flying indoors. we have access to a valadrome with a high ceiling. It is the Matt Mooney plan.

Most of our club post their builds on the forum on  http://www.eaze.co.za/  they also have an event at Albertinia over the Easter period.

Mikkie
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: August 24, 2013, 08:10:55 AM »

;Dhi gang. My latest is an f3d skyknight built from a three view.  lots of cut and try  to fit parts.  the fuselage stringers needed better support and the wing attachments left must to be desired.  it crashed after 3 flights but with a wee bit o weight in the tail it did start to fly. i learned quite a bit and may try again this winter.  see my build thread. " my douglas f3d skyknight build" on stick and tissue .com

JIM
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 55   Go Up
Print
Jump to: