Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 07, 2021, 01:08:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show Your Newest Creation  (Read 123038 times)
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 33

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1750 on: November 06, 2021, 06:19:44 AM »

Nickle Short Kit "Cessna" from Volare Products.
Yeah, I know it's not really an "outdoor" model, but not having any "indoor" venues /i can use, all my models end up as "outdoor" Smiley Smiley

It weighs 6.69g without nose-weight, likely in the neighborhood of 7g if it survives trimming.  According to the video that can be a bit of a challenge.

Also, today I will finally be headed out to the field with the following models getting their maiden trimming flights.
IL-2 from Ozark Model Aviation
Scratch built to 1.5scale Skiptown Mystery
Otter from Pres Bruning plans
R-5 Enlarged 150% from Volare plans
CR3 Racer from the Hummingbird Model Products kit.

Not sure how many will get airtime, but I will try to get pictures. Weather forecast is cluody, slight chance of afternoon rain, 0-5mph wind.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show Your Newest Creation

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 77

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #1751 on: November 13, 2021, 04:01:02 PM »

Just finished my latest timer for small electric outdoor scale.

This one is 0.38g and about half an inch square and capable of 5 amps ie two or even four small drone motors.

Motor run is started by the push button. Run time is adjustable from 10-50 seconds and you can also adjust the power output by PWM (pulse width modulation) - a significant improvement on the simple Peterborough Timer which is full power only.

I think this is as small as I can go with hand soldering/etching although a microcontroller version could possibly have a smaller footprint. I need to go a lie in a dark room for a while now  Roll Eyes

Jon
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1752 on: November 13, 2021, 04:16:38 PM »

Wow, that's pushing the limits, Jon!  Smiley
Look forward to seeing this in action.
Can the boards be done using CNC machinery?
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #1753 on: November 13, 2021, 04:20:40 PM »

Thanks Russ. I can finally build a model now  Cool

RE: CNC - yes I'm sure you could and people do. The traces on this one are 0.2mm thick and the gaps a minimum of 0.3mm. Not sure how that compares with CNC tolerances?
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1754 on: November 13, 2021, 07:40:05 PM »

Jon,
      That is impressive and would appear to be about the smallest you would need to go, and still be practical in use.
Ricky
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1755 on: November 13, 2021, 09:03:07 PM »

This one is 0.38g and about half an inch square and capable of 5 amps ie two or even four small drone motors.

Motor run is started by the push button. Run time is adjustable from 10-50 seconds and you can also adjust the power output by PWM (pulse width modulation) - a significant improvement on the simple Peterborough Timer which is full power only.

I think this is as small as I can go with hand soldering/etching although a microcontroller version could possibly have a smaller footprint. I need to go a lie in a dark room for a while now  Roll Eyes

Jon

Any plans to produce these-or even somewhat larger ones-for sale?

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #1756 on: November 14, 2021, 12:22:19 PM »

Jon,
      That is impressive and would appear to be about the smallest you would need to go, and still be practical in use.
Ricky

Cheers Ricky, yes it's about as small as practical, in fact the 3mm button may not be so easy to press for some. It's intended for peanut sized twins and the like so the less weight the better. I think the smallest equivalent would be the Zombie at 1.4g (with more functions) although some of Nick Leichty's timers are really tiny  Shocked

Any plans to produce these-or even somewhat larger ones-for sale?

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'

I've always got that in the back of my mind Chris but the time/cost never really works out. I do build timers on request (and have sent some to NZ  Cool) but it's more of a hobby thing at the moment, when I have a refined design I can knock out I might do a few production runs. There are some very good timers available now (such as BMK) but they tend to be around the 1-2 gram weight or more and I like making smaller ones for the micro models I want to build.
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1757 on: November 15, 2021, 05:36:54 AM »

So there I was, happily building away on an enlargement of the "Raven" from Frog. 18" span. At the same time I was working on the Miller Racer from Volare Products, so all was good.

Then day before yesterday the Noc-Dec 2021 issue of my FAC newsletter. I always look forward to it, especially the plans, always looking for the "next project".  And there, on page 10-11 was the article that threw my calm build schedule in the trash!
"
The article was titled "Buffalo Tick II" by Peter Kaiteris, and the acompanying plans showed a very simple all balsa catapult glider with a diminutive 7.5" span.

I was able to ignore it for almost 24 hours, but finally grabbed some balsa and a knife and 20 minutes later had an assembled glider. A couple of tests chucks to get the CG, and then a more enthusiastic chuck and DAMN! This little critter really flies! A slightly more than gentle toss in the drive way resulted in a flat left turning glide of almost 7 seconds!! Need to find somewhere with enough room to try out the catapult.

Re-read the article, with the description of the 10" span version, and well, just had to give it a try. Blew up the supplied plan to a 10" span, did a by guess and by golly for the built-up wing, and as the photo shows, I now have the Buffalo Tick to go along with its little brother. Need to attach the wing and balance and it'll be ready to go.

Question: The little one recommends a 9" loop of 3/16" rubber. Little guy weighs 8g. Big brother is going to weigh around 10g. Do I need a larger amount of rubber for the big one to get optimal results?

Yak 52
Titanium Member

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #1758 on: November 15, 2021, 05:53:57 AM »

In theory the lighter model will launch higher. The best way to estimate catapult energy is by weight of the rubber. How much 9" of 3/16ths weigh? We fly CLG on 2g in the UK

But I suspect both of them will be getting really high with that amount of rubber  Wink Make sure they are trimmed fairly flat ie not loopy before you start racking up the power
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1759 on: November 17, 2021, 05:16:23 AM »

A 9" loop of 3/16" tan rubber is 2.3g, so I should be all set. Accuweather says we have a dry-er spell coming over the next 7-10 days so hopefully the park will dry out enough to fly bare balsa models without getting them soaked.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1760 on: November 17, 2021, 05:19:27 PM »

The OFFC is back in business, indoors, at the Stonehurst Rec Center gym.  I have been able to do some indoor testing in the last couple of weeks and Dave Gee took the opportunity to take a video of a short flight of my latest prototype of the Giant NoCal Beaufighter.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KVY3ZEZ8gCc

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #1761 on: November 17, 2021, 09:12:35 PM »

A 9" loop of 3/16" tan rubber is 2.3g, so I should be all set. Accuweather says we have a dry-er spell coming over the next 7-10 days so hopefully the park will dry out enough to fly bare balsa models without getting them soaked.
I just use #64 rubber bands for the little guys, though my guess is that if you get it trimmed just right the little one could take 1/4 inch airplane rubber and go really high. A lot of people, like me, don't have arms long enough to fully stretch a 9 inch loop of FAI Sport. I'll wrap a little bit around the stick sometimes to shorten it up.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #1762 on: November 17, 2021, 09:31:02 PM »

The OFFC is back in business, indoors, at the Stonehurst Rec Center gym.  I have been able to do some indoor testing in the last couple of weeks and Dave Gee took the opportunity to take a video of a short flight of my latest prototype of the Giant NoCal Beaufighter.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KVY3ZEZ8gCc Did the props rotate the same direction? I am in the process of building a Nassie F7F Tigercat. Just planned to try using the same props turning both the same way.
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1763 on: November 18, 2021, 09:22:28 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KVY3ZEZ8gCc Did the props rotate the same direction? I am in the process of building a Nassie F7F Tigercat. Just planned to try using the same props turning both the same way.

You don't need opposite rotating props unless you are doing aerobatics on the rolling plane ala P-38.  The parallel thrust lines cancel each other out.  In fact, my experience with multi motor models (2,3,and 4 motors) is that the problem is getting them to turn.  This Beaufighter has a large, acetate, drag tab on the right wing tip to get it to turn in the tight gym.  What you see in the video is it flying in a 50 foot diameter circle.  Flying outdoors is not a problem.  Opposite rotating props on the Tigercat is simply fidelity to scale.

Hope this helps,

KF

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #1764 on: November 21, 2021, 01:41:10 PM »

Been quite a while since my last build.  Found this ME 109 that I had bought on ebay some time ago and decided to get er done.  Its called "Famous Flyer" .  I never heard of that brand.  The plan leaves a lot to the imagination.  Especially where the wing attaches to the fuse.  I decided to shape the fillets with floral foam, sand, paint white and the cover with tissue.  I plan on using the Israel version.  Just watched "Above and Beyond".  Incredible story of the birth of the Israely airforce after WW 2.

Bob
kaintuck
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #1765 on: November 22, 2021, 06:42:39 PM »

Jon

Jon, that's fantastic!!!.....I have been using those teeny timers you helped me with, they are super lite, and fit into my small FF old timers.....thank you again.
Marc
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #1766 on: November 23, 2021, 04:32:46 AM »

Cheers Marc. Glad you are enjoying the Peterborough Timers - they really are hard to beat for simplicity.

I've improved the design of this one slightly and shaved 1mm off it.

Further iterations might include a delayed start for ROG indoors and I'm toying with the idea of full working navigation lights and strobe while the motor runs Cool would be fun on a small model.
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1767 on: November 27, 2021, 06:24:38 AM »

Putting the final touches on my "Psycho" Raven from the Frog Senior line. Scratch built from the plans. No idea where I had downloaded them from.  Decided I did not want a plain Jane civil avaiation sort of color scheme, so a google search and an inkjet printer!

kaintuck
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #1768 on: November 27, 2021, 08:25:55 AM »

Plans from my DCM kit on the sopwith. This version is the nighttime ballon buster...the pilots couldn't see after the normal dual machine guns fired, so they took them out and mounted one above the wing...this girl has a 10f capacitor and small geared can motor...I will maiden her soon, and also, do a little more detailing...
https://ibb.co/2yL83K9 https://ibb.co/9ZYYyyf
Show Your Newest Creation
Show Your Newest Creation
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 141

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #1769 on: November 27, 2021, 10:37:29 AM »

Dan, you are supposed to properly discard all your old prescription meds, or send them to me.  Grin Grin Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: