Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 23, 2019, 08:03:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is nobody building seven gram indoor style Bostonians any more?  (Read 617 times)
aerobat77

« on: March 07, 2012, 04:26:24 AM »

I fly mostly indoor and I love the very slow and easily trimed Bostonians built to the lower weight limit.
Also there is satisfaction in the long flight times these models can achieve.  I have made a number of
five minute flights but since I fly with Larry Coslick I get put into my place pretty often, Larry's best time
with his Passion Bostonian is 6:51!  The 14 gram models just fly too fast and hit far too hard!  My lighter
models last much longer than my heavier ones, and I am not so stressed when they do hit the wall!

Is there anybody else building these seven gram models?

Steve
frash
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:38:43 AM »

Steve,

I still have and fly an old one and have been working on a better prop this week. We do need more Bostonian flyers at the AMA Indoor FF Nats/USIC.

Come if you can for May 22-27 in Johnson City, TN.

Several years ago you wrote the definitive article on indoor Bostonian for Indoor News and Views. Have you considered reprinting it in the articles section of HPA? I thought yesterday about doing that.

I plan to test fly in the Mini-Dome today since it is spring break and the building has few people this week. Probably I will not test Bostonian today.

Fred Rash
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 91

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 04:13:52 PM »

I fly 7 gram on occasion. Mine is old and tattered and never did anything exceptional, maybe 2:10 under a 30' ceiling or so. Compare that to an embryo of the same weight doing 2:30+ with less ceiling and looking WAY better doing it... I prefer embryo myself--a much prettier class of airplanes, and at the normal weight of 10-12 grams, they still do over 2 minutes in Cat I sites. Besides, you can then take that same plane outside and get it to do 3:30 or more in average weather. Just my $0.02...

Fred, how often do you fly in the dome? I'd be interested in going up there some weekend to get in some practice. It's the only high site around here, and not terribly far away at that.

-Joshua Finn
frash
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:47:23 PM »

Joshua Finn,

I flew a little yesterday and today since ETSU was on Spring Break and there were few people there. The dome is usually closed on the weekends. Around lunchtime is the best flying time for me. Hank Nystrom also flew a little yesterday. I tried P-24 and A-6.

This week would be particularly good, but we ACC fans have basketball the next few days. Clemson should be favored tomorrow, but not Wake.

The air was gusty today. The HVAC is always on except during the USIC. You would not be able to fly F1D, but heavier models perhaps with partial motors should work okay.

I always try to be on my best behavior there and not cause any incident that will hurt our hobby.
If you come up, let me know and some of us will try to fly with you.

Fred Rash
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: