Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 08, 2019, 10:34:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Midkiff Hawker Typhoon - Bluebottle Sqdn Kit - BUILD  (Read 10228 times)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 05:48:59 PM »

You guys have all done more thinking about the guns than I have myself! - These are all good ideas.
What worries me is my ability to read instructions properly - I got the toothpicks, but I may just have glued them in place before flying! Thanks for raising my awareness.
lemuel
Platinum Member

Kudos: 59

Australia Australia

A peanut a day keeps the doctor at bay..

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 01:41:18 AM »

I have only just found this thread... DOH! I was wondering whether you are a subscriber to the "wingtips have to be higher than the thrust line" theroy? It looks mighty good I must say.

regards
Matthew

two wings = GOOD, no wings = BAD Sad
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 09:31:51 AM »

Hi Matthew,

The wingtips are 'up near' the thrustline (I haven't done an exact measurement). I know that at least one person on this thread strongly believes in this Wink .... and that this person is closely connected to the designer .... without wanting to speak for either, I would guess that they both 'sing from the same hymn book' with regards to this. My view is that it is a good general rule - but as usual, I bet there are exceptions?
lemuel
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 02:55:46 PM »

I know what you mean when you say that there are exceptions.. You might say why do high wings and parasol wings need any diehedral at all??? Some other extremes are dimescale models that I have seen were the wing tips on low wing models are actually higher than the fuselage turtle deck!!!

Just a quick question, does mike sell the plans for these models rather than the whole kit? I would like to add the typhoon to my collection of plans.

regards
Matthew

Duco Guru

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 03:00:16 PM »

At least one person who has posted in this thread Wink thinks that the wingtips on this model should be ABOVE the thrustline. Of course, there is always the exception..but just in case that person is right, now would be the time to fix the problem Wink

Guru
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 04:34:05 PM »

I'm shakin' checkin' it Boss! Grin
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 05:17:10 PM »

I've been out to the shed and checked it.
The plan calls for 2.25" dihedral at each tip - the distance between the bottom of the wing root and the thrustline is slightly less than this, so the tips are ABOVE the thrustline! How could you ever have doubted your friend Ironmike?! ... Wink

BTW .... to carry on the deer hunting thing ... I rent a small workshop in a craft centre that was a stable block in a large country estate. My room used to be a 'slaughter house' of sorts - in the 19th century they would take deer there to be butchered. The hooks for hauling up the deer are still fixed to the beams. I can see me being 'too cheeky' to someone one day and being found hanging from these hooks! Roll Eyes.

It's a great place to work (when I do) so I hope that nobody minds me posting a few shots ... including one of the hooks!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Midkiff Hawker Typhoon - Bluebottle Sqdn Kit - BUILD
Wout Moerman
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 04:59:01 AM »

Wow, what a beautifull location!

Rubber FF scale:
www.zininmodelvliegen.nl
lemuel
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 05:45:11 AM »

Wow, what a beautifull location!

I second that motion. I have a lovely view of the Washing machine and the laundry tubs.

regards
Matthew

JetPlaneFlyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »

Russ,
I take it that's your home in the background Grin... Lord Lister maybe?

Steve
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 02:03:11 PM »

Nah ...... that's the Landlord's. If I had that place it would be hollowed out as an indoor venue Wink

I'm only in the 'cheap seats' .. I'm even on the outer edge of the craft centre.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2008, 04:05:43 PM »

I still think that it's Lord Lister of Old Warden!

Can we expect a private members bill obliging local councils to provide large FF flying sites? If so I hope that you have more luck than the Lord Mayor of Leeds.

Peter (with tongue firmly in cheek!)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2008, 06:33:37 PM »

I would love to ask the 'Lord of the Manor' if I could fly in one of the fields ... his name .... John Blunt! ... I would expect his reply to be just that, so I don't ask!
Truth be told there are far too many trees about for any serious flying, but a couple of the fields would be great for trimming.
Saying that, he does allow game shooting - I drove along the public entrance road the other week to be greeted by a long line of gentlemen with shotguns actually on the edge of the road. As I passed they must have flushed something out as the guns all swung skyward and were popping off in front and behind my car. A pretty odd experience having loaded barrels swung up in front of me - 'should they be doing that?', was my least expletive thought. Would they get the same thrill bagging a Senator?

I won't complain though ... might spoil my chances of ever becoming Lord Lister!

Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

United States United States

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2008, 06:45:19 PM »

Wow! Russ, that's a workshop?!! The dollar really IS weak. Cheesy

Is there any chance that Mr. Blunt would like to dabble in FF?

Building a small ROW peanut could be fun in that little pond.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2009, 02:49:02 PM »

I took my foot off the gas on this build after getting the basic airframe finished - I have only just got back onto it. However, in the time that I have left the model, Flying Scale Models magazine have published a full feature on the Typhoon (January 2009 issue)! Now I have to resist the temptation to pile on the detail! The articles will still be of great use which ever way I decide to go.
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 88

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 04:25:23 PM »

Russ
Hurry up. I am anxious to see the covering and finishing job you do on your Tiffie.
Hey what else ya gonna work on this winter?
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2009, 04:46:40 PM »

Mike,

Yes, I really must get it finished!

Hey what else ya gonna work on this winter?

Embarrassed I also have the Zeppelin CS1 to finish too! I started covering the wings but hand brushed the dope on one wing as a trial - left the ink a bit streaky and took the wind out of my sails. The next coat seems to have made it less obvious so I will probably carry on with it as it is. The thinking behind the trial was that a bit of 'imperfection' might make it look more authentic than the sharp ink-jet printed tissue - if the brush strokes were a little less obvious it might have been the case. Oh well, we live and learn.
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 88

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2009, 09:38:11 PM »

Aw Russ
Geez that is strange I can brush sig lite coat all day long onto ink jet tissue. But maybe it is 'cause I print on the underside of the tissue???

Anyhow:
When ya get a bunch of lewis gun rounds thru the tissue and ya patch 'er up the streaky wear n tear patching will look "over the moon". is that how it is said? By 'n by Im sending a cpl of smaller zeps to your mates over to merry ole UK.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2009, 03:48:57 PM »

At last! ... a little more progress.

I painted the prop blades black all over. Usually I would tissue cover the blades but I was impatient to get going again and I thought the ply core of the blades would overcome any strength issue. I did intend to cover the yellow tips with yellow tissue and then spray yellow. The first tip I tried showed that the yellow paint I had lacked opacity. Again for speed I resorted to Solatrim for the tips ... yes, sorry, I have used plastic film! It does the job for now - no doubt the prop tips will get a bit of a hammering during the trimming phase anyway.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »

This is both the largest and most 'double curvatured' model I have built for a long time so I decided to take a bit by bit approach to the covering. I covered the underside of the fuselage with one piece however. The intake bulge was covered in several pieces.

As I am painting the model I decided to go with Esaki tissue rather than the coloured kit tissue. My covering technique has grown around the good wet strength of Esaki tissue - I didn't feel comfortable with the trial I had with the kit tissue.

I usually cover dry but wetting as appropriate, using watered down wood glue to fix.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2009, 04:02:19 PM »

At the tightest curves I covered with pieces that only spanned a couple of stringers - it took longer but made the job less stressful!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2009, 04:03:50 PM »

I would say that I perhaps got carried away with covering a small section at a time!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2009, 04:11:46 PM »

I covered the fuselage sides and top in an inverted 'U' just two bays at a time - first time I had covered in this way but I'm happy enough with the result. The covering looks quite smooth this way with no joints between the top and sides for the rear part of the fuselage (I changed tack again at the front of the fuse!)
If anything, all this 'messing about' has shown me that there are no 'set in stone' approaches to covering ie. there is more than one way of covering a model to an acceptable standard.
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2009, 04:23:20 PM »

Lovely bit of work there young man Wink

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2009, 04:45:45 PM »

Beautiful work Russ. Very nice covering job.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: