Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2019, 07:53:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Vargo-Wock.  (Read 4623 times)
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2012, 01:25:25 AM »

The second stab. built is off the board and is as flat as a tack.....as the saying goes.   Will cover it with care shortly and get the fins glued on.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2012, 11:54:55 PM »

Vargo-Wock is ready to go, but not today.  It's blowing at 30 to 35 knots here.

Have stuck pins into the wing mounts to hold the wing on using the usual rubber bands.   Will move the pins to where the glide is right and replace with thin bamboo skewers later.

It weighs 66g, plus 30g of rubber (Senator motors) so it's not that lightweight.   But it looks like it should fly.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Vargo-Wock.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2012, 01:03:31 AM »

Nice!  Smarter than mine .....    Sad
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2012, 02:14:36 AM »

Nice!  Smarter than mine .....    Sad

Thanks, but that's only because it's new.    Wait until it gets lost a few times, lands in a creek, hits a tree or a fence etc. etc.   
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2012, 10:35:52 AM »

Gossie,
Very nice indeed!
Should be a great all-weather flyer at that weight.

Dave Andreski

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Modelace
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2012, 10:46:40 AM »

Good job Gossie..You are not going to let a little 30 knot breeze interfere with the maiden are you??  Roll Eyes
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2012, 06:04:09 PM »

Good job Gossie..You are not going to let a little 30 knot breeze interfere with the maiden are you??  Roll Eyes

Absolutely not.   We are away flying in a week for a week.   Will take plenty of pics to prove it.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »

The V-Wock has had air beneath it's wings.

Beautiful sunny and calm day here today, so decided to walk to the close by park with our 4 year old Grand Daughter Sienna.
We are minding her for two days as she has had a bad cold and Mum ask if we would like her rather than sending her to kindergarten while Mum goes off to make some money.
  We love having her as she truly is a lovely child......(Just like her Grandfather was I guess. LOL.)

Took V-Wock and it needed a 1/16th under the tail, and 1/16th under the main spar on the wing to glide properly.   100 hand turns and it looks reasonable.  Got to 200 or so hand turns and it was climbing away nicely with a right bias and going into a right glide when the propeller folded.   I really had planed for it to go R-L, but if it wants to go R-R and looks safe it can.
As mentioned earlier we are off for a week in a couple of days, so at least it's part trimmed now rather than having to mess about on the field.

Couple of poor pics, with a very pale faced Sienna.   Kids do get over cold quickly so she should be okay in a couple of days I'm sure.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2012, 01:28:01 AM »

Just like her Grandfather was I guess.

Lovely ?      Roll Eyes

Do like those floodlight poles with climbing aids to retrieve errant models.

Good flying this week, Howard!
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2015, 11:45:10 PM »

Here's a decent shot from Malcolm Campbell of my Vargowock climbing away taken recently.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2016, 01:47:03 PM »

Reviving Gossie's thread just to hijack it a little in keeping with the Vargowock theme.   I donated my VW, in September, to a large cornfield, in which I was reluctant to venture after 36 hours of continual rain; I short fused it for about 90 seconds to keep it on the field  ... just to do something rather than stand around damp and miserable  ... but it failed to d/t on the third flight (damp fuse?) and went off to cornflake heaven.  I'd removed the tracker before flying as otherwise I would have had to go into the sodden crops just to get that back.

I finally got around to completing a replacement in time for (hopefully) trimming at Geneseo alongside the FAC activities.   Weighs same as Goss's, 66 grams with tracker (sans batteries) but thinking of using 23 gms rubber as per the previous model, which seemed very happy with that.  Time will tell.  Photos  .... apologies to Hepcat for the crossed wing bands; chordwise without a supporting spar did not appeal...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:15:47 PM by applehoney » Logged
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2016, 03:42:24 PM »

Very nice work on your new Vargo-Wock Applehoney.  Sorry you lost your old one. I guess cornfields are a real hazard to our hobby.

I found that my New Gollywock flies much better with a 25 g motor than a 30 gram motor.  I forgot the weight of my New Gollywock but it is somewhere between 60 and 80 grams.  I added unnecessary diagonal bracing to the fuselage and was not careful with wood selection. 

The glide of my New Gollywock is much better with the smaller motor (5 grams = less weight to carry).  Plus, even though the motor run is shorter with a 25 gram rubber motor versus a 30 gram rubber motor of the same cross-section, the climb seems to be about the same.

I am guessing your Vargo-Wock will fly just fine with a 23 gram rubber motor.
Oldtime Flyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

"Keep it Simple"

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2016, 12:41:56 PM »

Quote from reply #66<This doesn't mean we must duplicate badly designed structures.  OTf'er>

If you are flying to Vintage competitions rules in this country it does!  If you are not flying in competition of course why build an old time model at all unless you are going to make it as it was?

John

Because they are classic designs, that look great and fly very well. Glad that here in the US there is some sanity in the rules. You see just because there were kits and plans available in 1939-to whenever, does not mean that every kid built any model from that time period was per plan. That was totally acceptable then and should acceptable now!! Or hang them in your museum.

Otf'er
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2016, 08:03:05 PM »

If building a replica of an Oldtimer it matters not that flyers of the 30's made modifications to the design to suit their own ideas, for better or worse.  That presumed practice does not give todays' builder a green light to do the same - unless he is building the design purely for his own sport flying amusement.     The concept is to build a replica, not a simulation; unfortunately the 'sanity' in US rules has led. on occasion, to variations which have become accepted as authentic by those unaware of such changes.    
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2016, 11:32:22 PM »

Nice work jim how does it fly?
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2016, 12:34:50 AM »

Gimme a chance Howard ... only completed final details two  days ago    Grin
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2016, 01:01:23 AM »

Ah ok
Bit lost here away down south on iphone
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2018, 06:26:32 PM »

Hi All,
thought maybe y'all would enjoy seeing my Vargowock go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GakhgpG-P2o
first flight not quite in trim ... too much left rudder countering the turn in the climb and too tight in the glide.

next flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcnEoRWiQak

knocked off a rudder gurney flap. Now she goes well.

BG

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: