Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 11, 2020, 09:16:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Polikarpov Po-2  (Read 8088 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 150

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:39:38 AM »

I think I'm just about decided on this as my new project. It will probably be made as an aircraft of the famous 588th 'Night Witches' group, such as the one pictured here. So far I've ordered a couple of books on the Polikarpov Po-2 and also managed to Ebuy the Flying Scale Models mag which apparently has a model plan of the ambulance version. I'm hoping this is for the David Deadman ambulance Po-2 now owned by Graham. That edition also has scale drawings.
I need to decide on size. It will be rubber powered. Real plane was 11' 5" span. Scales of 1/12, 1/13 or 1/14 give model spans of about 29" 27" or 25" respectively. I'm inclined to go as large as possible to get a nice slow model, but also need it to turn in the Nottingham hall. Advice welcome on this. Might need quite a lot of help on this build as my only other effort at a rubber scale bipe (Nieuport Bebe) is still unflown and came out very heavy.
Pete Smiley
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Polikarpov Po-2
Laurence Marks
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:41:14 AM »

Must be that time of year - I've just settled on my next indoor project too!  The Po-2 is a great choice - good luck with it!! And I'd go bigger rather than smaller - did you ever see Mike Hadland's big Bucker - amazing until it got trodden on.   And BTW have you heard the Radio 4 documentary about the Night Witches - amazing and worth finding.

Laurence
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:17:45 AM »

Sounds great Pete!

Dave's PO-2 isn't very big: 1/24 scale which makes it 18.7 inch span (i think: it's stored in a box at the moment). You should see the scale blood stained bandage around the foam patient's head in the rear stretcher bay! However, it is very accurate: if this is the plan in the mag you could do far worse than blow it up a bit and use it as a basis, if only for the wings and tail.

I'm a bit confused by your scale calcs: my stuff says the full size had a 37' 5" span, so for rubber, if it were me i'd be going 1/20 or 1/18 scale: this gives spans of 22.5" and 25" respectively: plenty for an indoor bipe. Also makes getting a decent pilot figure from SAMS or Dave Banks easier.

The wing area at either size is considerable; 1/20 = 830cm2 and 1/18 = 1024cm2, so you shouldn't have a problem with loading.

Funnily enough i too have pretty much decided on my next indoor electric model: more when i actually get my act together and don't change my mind (again)!

Graham

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:30:40 AM by Graham Banham » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 07:41:36 AM »

As you've spotted, Graham, my scale calcs are all over the place! Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed  Span of real a/c is 37'5" (11.5 METRES!). I don't quite know what I did, scaled down in feet from metres I think. Anyway, will probably go with 1/18 and a 25" span.
Thanks for the Radio 4 prog tip-off, Laurence. There's some great Russian stuff about them on YouTube too.
Pete
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 11:41:16 AM »

Hi Pete, just postin' so I get updates  Grin looking forward to your project....

Jon
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 03:51:40 PM »

Nice choice, Pete!

It's not too complicated, as bipes go and it does have enormous wing area coupled with the potential for a light structure. Keep us posted!!

Dan.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 04:30:29 PM »

Pete,

Are you going to Old Warden next weekend?
There is a Polikarpov Po-2 in the collection now as I recall? Sure I have seen it in Hanger 1 ... but such is the trust in my own memory .....
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 04:37:47 PM »

Spot on, Russ!

Last time I went they had a PO2 in standard Russian Olive Drab/Red Stars scheme.

Dan.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 04:39:07 PM »

Some nice photos here:

http://www.globalaviationresource.com/reports/2011/airshows-uk-shuttleworth-collection-spring-air-display-review/index.php

Phugoid

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 05:17:25 PM »

Keeping an eye out Pete, keep us posted.

Going for the Cessna skyhawk for my kit scale (veron of course).....

Cheers

Andrew

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 06:09:53 PM »

Thanks chaps. I had noticed that the Shuttleworth collection had a Po-2 as there's footage on YouTube, but I  hadn't found that particular cache of photos. Sadly I can't get to Old Warden next weekend. It's years since I've been- decades in fact. Something I must remedy soon!

Andrew, nice kit scale choice, and here's an interesting coincidence: one thing I've discovered about the Polikarpov Po-2 is that it's the second most produced aircraft of all time. The MOST produced aircraft is...
The Cessna 172 Skyhawk!

Phugoid

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 06:39:57 PM »

It is a handsome looking little beast I think.... Not the sort of huge wing area of the Auster but should make a nice flyer.  Not many tricycle u/c's in kit scale so should stand out.  I had read about the high production of the Skyhawk but did not know about the PO-2
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 08:03:27 AM »

Looks like I might be able to get to Old Warden on Sunday after all. It would be nice to fly a model or two, as well as have a look at the Polikarpov, but It's about 3 hours drive so I'll see what the weather's doing. Can someone tell me how the model flying side of things works at this event? Is it a formal competition, or just for fun? Can I just turn up on the day?
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 03:29:14 PM »

Pete,

For the free flight it is very informal .... though they do ask to see proof of insurance now as you enter the field.

The only thing stopping you then is the weather ... the copse .... the cornfield .... or even beyond  Smiley

Just make sure you turn up! I love it there .
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »

Lovely copy of FSM (Jan 04) arrived today and, as hoped, the featured Polikarpov Po-2 plan and article IS the Dave Deadman ambulance version now owned by Graham. As expected it's a gorgeous model. It's 1/24 scale for Telco CO2 but as you suggest, I don't see how I can do much better than simply blowing it up to 1/18 and getting on with it- especially as Mr Deadman very thoughtfully included an extra fuselage on the plan for those of us who might want to make the non-ambulance version! Very nice F. Pawlowicz scale drawings too, on which the model was directly based.
I'm just going to hold off starting until I get a few other Po-2 things I've ordered- hopefully some colour scheme choices as I'm still looking for more verified matching 'Night Witches' 588th/46th gp colours and photos. Probably won't effect the basic structure, but I like to know where I'm heading.
Here are a couple of pics of the David Deadman model which I've scanned from the article. He describes how it won the UK Indoor Nats in 1992, and also flew in a comp in San Diego in 1983 where he won the 'Pressure Prize' for performance under extreme nervousness! The model was actually made in 1982. As Graham will be aware it all comes to pieces by utilising working rigging and rubber bands, but this is one aspect I shall NOT be attempting to replicate as all my attention will be focussed on simply trying to 'not arse it up' (to quote Dan  Grin)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Polikarpov Po-2
Re: Polikarpov Po-2
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 12:12:19 PM »

Yep, I have yet to find a better phrase to describe the atrocities I visit upon innocent balsa and tissue!

Cheers,

Dan.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 06:21:38 PM »

Have gathered quite a bit of stuff together on this now, books, mags etc. and spent rather more money than I should have too. The problem is that I still really want to do a 'night witches' version of this plane, but it is surprisingly difficult to find even one not-cut-off bona fide photo of a night witches (588th gp) PO-2, let alone one which matches one of the few colour profiles. Any help or suggestions welcome. The Shuttleworth colour scheme would be easiest to document, but I'm not clear if it represents a particular PO-2 or a just a generic Russian one.
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 08:23:48 PM »

I must say I'm a Po-2 fan as well.

I rather fancy doing the ambulance version.   I would probably do an inch to foot scale version though with a small diesel in it, or perhaps even a 1.5in to the foot version with a larger diesel in it.  Freeflight of course.

I must admit to having "navel gazed" at drawings I've had here for years.  Pawlowicz drawings that came from Aeromodeller.

I don't know the "night witch" version.   Is it perhaps all black for night time work?
BlueBaron
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 12:56:23 AM »

That would be an interesting model Gossie  Smiley
yagua
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Argentina Argentina

and still trying!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 11:56:40 AM »

found some colour scheme here http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?3730-Night-witches
it says it´s from the Night Witches, but I don´t know. They aren´t supoused to be a night bombing group?  Huh
On the other hand, in this place http://www.uslglobal.com/maps/briefings/Night_Witches4.19.pdf   you´ll see some BW pics that "might suggets" that the colour scheme from above might be right...   Undecided
PS: It´s the first time I read about this ladies, and all I can say is  Shocked Shocked (¿can you imagine them as a furious girlfriend!!!??? Wink Grin Grin)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:09:37 PM by yagua » Logged

27º19'54.94'' S
58º56'52.31'' W
HOME SWEET HOME!!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 05:41:31 AM »

Thanks for looking, Yagua. This is all useful stuff. They were a night bombing group- often bombing sleeping Luftwaffe pilots' airfields just as they thought they could get some sleep. I love the thought of the might of the German air force being challenged by girls in biplanes!
robert pajas
Bronze Member

Kudos: 20

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 03:48:30 PM »

This is the 1/20th model of the friend of mine...
Just for the inspiration...

http://www.minimakety.cz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=348&sid=503cf48bcc5b72603ee422063366ce16

Robert
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 03:44:36 PM »

Thanks Robert. That's a very nice looking model.

With my Fokker kit finished I have a clear building board and so am as ready to begin this as I'll ever be. One thing holding me back was that I really wanted to make a CO2 engined model next, to utilise the nicely running Telco that Dan kindly sent me. But after a lot of faffing about and mind-changing the obvious eventually occurred to me: Make the Polikarpov, but for CO2, not rubber. The Dave Deadman model is designed for a Telco in any case, so I can just build it directly from his plan without any changes of size or adaptations for rubber. I won't be doing the ambulance version, but as I mentioned before, his plan makes full provision for the ordinary version too.
So, just a small matter of SIXTY delicate wing-rib tops to cut and I'm on my way...
...hmmm, maybe I'll start with the fuselage.
Phugoid

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 05:46:12 PM »

I read today that Andy Sephton is recommending a 5% flight score bonus for co2 at next years indoor Nats, so there is another good reason to go that way.....

You didn't get any inside information from your dad on that did you? Wink

Andrew
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 07:02:05 PM »

What a despicably scurrilous suggestion!
But yes, just as I decided to go CO2 I also noticed Andy Sephton's suggestion in the newsletter. Of course the 5% rule will count for nothing if it gets the disc of doom!
As this model will probably take me quite a long time I'd say I'm fairly unlikely to have a new model ready for open rubber too. Could bung in the Agricola again I suppose. Are you still contemplating a puss moth?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: