Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 14, 2020, 07:05:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pretty 1956 Scramble model.  (Read 711 times)
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »

I'm also at the moment building a replica of the 1956 and 1957 Australian Nationals Scramble winner.

The original 36in span model was built in 1956 by a club mate and friend and he won both '56 and '57 National one hour Scrambles with it.
I was given the original over three years ago to restore from a very poor condition after my friend passed away.  I did that and passed the model on to a young guy here as a keepsake.
I drew a plan from the original I had at the time, and am using that to build an accurate replica even with an original Mills.75 as the 1956 model had.

The model has been chosen for a fly in next year near Sydney so I decided to get in early and get it done and trimmed before the event.

As said, it's 36in span with a trike U/C and cabin and quite pretty in my view.   The plan has now been professionally drawn and a short kit will also be available soon as well.
It is of course a Free Flight model as my one will be, but in the fly in RC may be used.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Pretty 1956 Scramble model.
Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 06:37:51 PM »

Nice looking bird Gossie
You are very good at building and flying thies oldie but goodies !!!!
George
BlueBaron
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 12:48:42 AM »

Pretty looking model Gossie. Please show it when finished. What prop are you using on the Mills 75?  Smiley
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 06:38:25 PM »

Thanks guys for kind comments.

It's close to getting covered now, and will put some pics up when done in a couple of weeks.

Normally an 8 X 4 of some type I find ideal on Mills.75s.   The prop. shown here is a very old Tornado wooden one strictly for show.  It would go back to the '50s.
 The spinner by the way is also from the '50s.  It's a Keil Kraft 1.25in. Supersonic.   The original "Scrambler" had a 1.25in alloy spinner on it by the old '50s photos, but was missing when I got the original to restore three years ago.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:27:45 PM »

Have it covered and first coat of red on the fuselage.

Should be ready to fly in a couple of weeks......If the weather holds, as it's not at the moment......been teeming all night here.
Re: Pretty 1956 Scramble model.
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:43:19 PM »

Very nice looking model Gossie.
BlueBaron
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 11:31:31 AM »

Beautiful looking model!
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:06:15 PM »

Hi Gossie
Very appealing and well finished. You mentioned plans might be available, looks like a suitable replacement for my 70% Zipper gone to Hung.
regards Dave
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 06:54:27 PM »

Hi Gossie
                 Very appealing and well finished. You mentioned plans might be available, looks like a suitable replacement for my 70% Zipper gone to Hung.
                                                                                                                                                                 regards Dave

Try Mike Glaister who was good enough to draw the plan up.    michael.glaister  at   gmail   dot   com     Perhaps you can swap him something for one?Huh?
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 12:06:08 AM »

1956 "SCRAMBLER" all finished and ready to trim.

Weighs 9oz.  Original Mills .75 power.   Old 1956 Tornado wooden prop. and Keil Kraft 1.25in supersonic spinner for show only and not go.....too precious.   Will use an 8 X 4 Taipan.

Hope to trim it out weekend after next at our flying weekend.
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 07:50:30 PM »

Beaut model Gossie,the trike UC looks very nice,I haven`t flown scramble for a few years due to dicky knees ,the entries in our contests have dropped for various reasons so I better get my act together and build something for my PAW 55 and boost the entries by one,not sure on the model yet.
This is the only type of model I trust to a KSB timer after loosing my Wichita A2 in the seventies shortly before Theo M lost a new Lively Lady with a brand spankers KSB I bought at the 76 Nats shop and lent him,poor Theo sadly missed, strangely they never seem to fail in scramblers-must be the vibes.
I was given a Japanese KSB style timer years ago which I used for scramble, it takes three turns to wind up and has a wobbling gear and plate stye govenor instead of the rattler of the KSB,rear cover is rectangular with no reliefs at one end like a KSB.
I used a disc with 4 slots in it so I never had any problems with flights of more than two minutes.
When I ordered the Wichita and Lively Lady plans I also bought a plan with four designs to suit the Dart,one is the Titch by RH Warring very Tom Boyish but a little prettier,the plan also has a flying wing design called Lil Plank-no DT needed.
Still have a unused plan of the Migrator and Thermalnose A2`s I bought at the same time.

Cheers and happy flying.

Phil
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 10:20:49 PM »

Scramble was very popular here once upon a time.   At a Nats east side you can still get 20 odd (Very odd) flying though.

A trick I found with KSB timers was to hook a small rubber band around the bottom front screw that's helping to hold it to the fuselage, then just before launch hook the band onto the arm that turns it on to keep it forward.
This will stop the arm rattling back and stopping the timer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: