Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 23, 2019, 10:23:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dragstar  (Read 571 times)
RobinB
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 26, 2012, 12:18:49 PM »

I was talking with Andy Crisp recently about various published designs that might be a suitable
choice as a .20-engined SLOP. Shortly after, he sent me a copy of the article from American Modeler
about Ralph Prey's 'Dragstar'.

It's a Class A/B size model with many obvious 'Lucky Lindy' influences. The article states that it's
'approved by Larry Conover', and the plan has been drawn by him.

There's a lot I like about it, so I wondered if anyone here knows anything about it.

Anyone ?

Robin

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 08:38:48 PM »

Robin,

I agree with Andy concerning the Dragstar.  Ralph came up with an excellent, easily built and trimmed airplane.  I have a full set of plans and the magazine article. 

They are easy to come by.

Go on eBay.  Search for a vendor called "Dr. Scribbles".  Just type it into the search box.  Go to his eBay store page.  If Dragstar is not listed, contact the "Doctor" and tell him you want it.  It will cost US$5.00 for the article, and a digital file which you can copy to a thumb drive, take it to a Kinkos, Office Depot, UPS Store or the equivalent and print it full size.

Let me know if you have any questions at my email:  flydean at att dot net.

Regards,
Dean
RobinB
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 07:07:17 AM »

Thanks for that, Dean.
I've already got Dr. Scribbles searching!

I'm still waiting for the other part of the article, and I'll be interested to see the trimming instructions.

Right / left trim on gas models is a bit of an unknown here in the UK these days.
Dragstar has very little washin on the right inner and I'm guessing that, coupled with a relatively high aspect ratio of 8:1,
there's little chance that it would spiral down in the glide.
Two degrees decalage and the 78% CG should probably help to keep it safe as well.

Modern FAI designs use some washin 'with the turn' but they have very high aspect ratios and wide glide circles.

Robin

Steve J.
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 10:34:26 AM »

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/plans/pdfs/d-plans.pdf
on page 40
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 02:04:35 PM »

Go right-right if you want to keep things together.  The old right-left was from another time.  A bit of washin (+/- 3/16in) on the right inner wing panel.  Slight (+/- 1/8 in) washout each tip.  About 3 degrees left thrust to keep things straight during the first couple seconds of acceleration, and about the same down for the same reason.  It should work fine, even in the UK Grin
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »

Any chance of a picture Robin?I have found out it has a multispar geodetic wing from a Bob Stalick article and thats as much as I can find in my pile of Aerican Modeler`s,did it have a sweptback fin?

Phil
RobinB
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 04:55:18 AM »

This is a scan of a photocopy of an original page that had a grey background. All I have.

Robin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Dragstar

Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 06:53:48 AM »

Thanks Robin,
I tend to steer away from forward fin models after a failure with a Pulteri but many have had success with them and WC wins as well .
Did you finish the Lucky Lindy- that would be great for a 20 FP?
I was looking for the Dragstar in old mags today and came across the Sirocco 1/2a by Vic Cunnyngham,it has a combined tailplane and fin but with a fuselage stretch and a rear fin and then scaled up would be very nice-geodetic, eliptical tips and tailplane all laminated tips LE&TE, forward swept pylon and fairly short nose.
I use a free download resizer called PIXresizer it works well,I scanned this at hi res and then resized,unfortunately much depends on the original.
Another similar model is the Mexi Boy by Al Vela-this was scanned at hi res and was 7.6mb before resizing and 48kb now.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

Cheers
Phil
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:54:03 AM by Sandgroper » Logged
RobinB
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 01:40:49 PM »

Phil, I also have reservations about forward fins, though I'm not really sure why.
It might just be because I wasn't 'brought up with them'.

It was one of the reasons I asked around about the design.
One of their plus points is that they help to get a 78% CG with a short nose.

Anyone got any views?

Robin

Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 11:45:41 PM »

The Pulteri also had tip dihedral which could have been a factor to its early demise,this was the only model that  I never got beyond trimming stage and the broken wing was converted to a shorter polyhedral wing and used on a hi-thrust line model that was lots of fun but too heavy.
HTL models are worth a try-I think the Starduster is the best, simple and also has a  strong short fuselage.

Phil

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: