Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2019, 02:12:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Telco Co2 Motor  (Read 2251 times)
urbanhype

« on: March 09, 2012, 09:19:35 AM »

Hello All, My friend gave me a couple of Telco CO2 motors.  I would like to try it out but it uses a 8g CO2.  Does any one know where I can get some cartridges or a adapter in the Toronto area? 
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 14

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 04:37:52 PM »

By "8g CO2" do you mean it uses the original Telco orange thing, that takes the CO2 cartridges?

If so, then the cartridges are made for soda chargers for bars, and they're all over -- mine came from an upscale grocery store, if I remember correctly, but you can also get them at highbrow cooking places like Williams Sonoma or Whip and Spoon (which sounds like a highbrow S&M place, but anyway...).
hastf1b
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Germany Germany

Winding my Tilka during the german chamionship `87

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 06:58:52 AM »

I think it fits all of these.

Heinz
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Telco Co2 Motor

F1B is o.k.
urbanhype

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:45:31 PM »

Hello All, thanks for the response.  I guess the big question that I have is that is there some sort of adapter for a paintball tank.  Using a soda charger will get expensive really quick.  If I use a paintball tank I can fill it once for $5 and fly for the whole season.  Does such a product exist? 
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:39:13 AM »

The Black Sheep Squadron in California  sells paint ball tank adaptors, but they are quite expensive at $90 apiece.

See here http://www.blacksheepsquadron.com/chargers.html

If you don't fly much, it might be cheaper to continue with the Sparklets bulbs - I recall that these are available on e-bay for less cash.

Peter
urbanhype

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 08:29:08 AM »

Thanks for the info Peetee.  I checked that thing out.  I think expensive is an understatement for that thing.  Those brass looking parts must be machined from 24k gold.  I think that I am going to stick with  the 8g cartridge.  Thanks all for the help
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 11:43:16 AM »

Amazon has CO2 cartridges for cheap, too.

If those adapters are made in the USA, in small volumes, and someone is actually earning a living wage making them, then the price isn't surprising -- things only get cheap when they're made in large volume by robots or in countries where a few dollars a day is "good pay".
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 12:03:19 PM »

Can anyone make sense of this-
Dave Andreski
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Telco Co2 Motor

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
wordguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 08:19:19 AM »

Dave, many years ago I flew with a fellow who used what appeared to be a similar setup-  His tank was a food (pharmaceutical?) grade CO2 tank in aluminum, about 4" in dia and perhaps a foot or so long.  The balance of the hardware in the photo looks much like the way I remember his setup.  I believe he had to purchase an aftermarket nozzle separately from ... someone...  I went the Ansul fire extinguisher route, purchasing nozzles for both telco and brown, so I  didn't pay as much attention to the details as I should have.  I seem to remember that we compared notes on costs, and determined that overall, his CO2 cost less than mine did (it was a HONKIN' big tank!), but that it was easier for me to exchange Ansul cartridges at the local  Ansul store than it was for him to have his bottle recharged.

As it is not at all likely that any means of suspending the effect of air-resistance can ever be devised, a flying-machine must always be slow and cumbersome. . . . But as a means of amusement, the idea of aerial travel has great promise.

— T. Baron Russell, 'A hundred Years Hence,' 1905
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 12:39:24 PM »

Can anyone make sense of this-
Dave Andreski

Which part is not clear?  It all seems to make sense to me.  You could save a bit of $$ on the gauge, if you didn't mind finding out that you're low on CO2 by watching the engine behavior and/or weighing the tank.
mike_st
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 10:07:34 PM »

......many years ago I flew with a fellow who used what appeared to be a similar setup- .....
I have something like that too, which was made for me by a technicain friend in a university physics department. Attaches to a big sodastream bottle., screw the top down to open the valve at the top of the bottle, and I have the normal telco nozzle with its little ball valve attched for refuelling. As I understand it CO2 is not hugely dangerous in terms of pressure....SAMS used to sell a similar attachment.
- Mike
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 10:31:46 PM »

Hello All, thanks for the response.  I guess the big question that I have is that is there some sort of adapter for a paintball tank.  Using a soda charger will get expensive really quick.  If I use a paintball tank I can fill it once for $5 and fly for the whole season.  Does such a product exist? 

Go to Hobby Club (www.hobbyclub.com) and they have both the paintball cylinder adaptor and the cylinders for $39.95 apiece. I have one of the adaptors (I bought the cylinder here in NZ)-and I can confirm that this adaptor also fits the Sodastream cylinders. Be aware however that the Sodastream cylinders seem to have different threads depending on what part of the world you live in.

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Mike Myers
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 11:42:04 PM »

For what it's worth--if  you are going to be flying a lot of CO2 airplanes, bite the bullet and get an adapter that you can use for a paintball CO2 tank. 

Charging from a "caplet" CO2 cartridge is just fine for sport flying of small models. But you get an inconsistent charge.  You find it difficult to get a "liquid charge" when you want one.   I used to pay $11 a box US for a box of 10 CO2 caplets.  Depending upon the size of the model I was trying one fly, one caplet might be enough for one flight--or it would use most of a caplet on the first flight, then I'd get a weak flight on the second charge etc.

So I went to big tanks.  I used a Sodastream adapter which you can still get from Knight & Pridham in the UK.   That worked well with the industrial aluminum tanks--I had a 10 ounce tank, a 1 pound tank and a 2.5 pound tank.  The adapter fit all of them.  The only problem was that the industrial gas company where I got the things filled had a minimum charge of $10 to refill any CO2 tank---so I could pay $10 to refill the 10 ounce tank--or $10 to refill the 2.5 pound tank. Add in the fact that the aluminum tanks need to be hydrotested for safety once every 5 years (that was a $35 bill) and it was aggravating.  That said I could always get a complete charge in the onboard tank of any CO2 ship I flew and performance went way up.

The Blacksheep adapter is expensive.  But in the long run it's probably the cheapest way to go.  It fits on the paintball CO2 tanks.   You can buy a prefilled paintball CO2 tank for $20 or so.   You can get it refilled at a paintball shop for $6 or $7.  Because the tanks are cheap (my 2.5 pound industrial tank cost $100) you can use them until they need to be hydrotested--and then simply buy a new one.

So start out with the caplet style charger; if you find you really like to fly C)2 and want to build several of them, bite the bullet, save your pennies and nickels, and buy the Blacksheep adapter.    In the long run, it will save  you money.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: