Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 23, 2019, 07:38:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 1344 times)
Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 08:13:18 PM »

Good luck Caley !!
You are a brave lady to take on 100 youngsters !!
I have made a lot of diy hlg planes over the years but never made any plans for them ,
just make them off the top of my head and fiddled with them till they flew .
The real thing that works is give them a long knose and tail -in front and behind the lift wing
so it will ballance easer with a lot less added weight on the knose they will
 glide beter and go a lot farther with that type of fuse. make it with a 0/0 decalogue
and give it a low amount of dehedral in the first test plane then add more if it needs it .
That is the best I can give to your project with out any plans to share !
George
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2012, 08:34:50 PM »

Thanks George,  Still haven't approached the director of the youth center yet.  I want to make sure I have something that can be done, and can show and tell her.  The most kids I should have are 100, but probably less.
  I ordered the wood today.  I didn't bother with special ordering of this or that.  I just ordered their bundle packages.  The wood is heavy, but I doubt that will make any difference if the youngsters model glides even 20-30 feet.  Kids just toss, HARD, and run after the model.
  Dave,  The model is ready for glide testing, and then the catapult, but couldn't do it today because when I looked out the door, WIND!  Will try on sunday at the dry lake bed.
  I did some mods on the MIni.  I put a balsa hook on the nose.  I put a washin wedge under the right wing outer panel at the dihedral joint.  And I put a 1/64 ply shim to give the rudder a bit of angle to create a turn.  I am hoping that it acts like the Stan Park Scout did with a big sweeping turn and fairly nice climb.
  Test glide in the bedroom had it going straight as an arrow, and level.
  I also was a bit puzzled at the decalage.  It looks like way too much, but the test glide turned out fine.  The proof of the pudnik will be with the catapult.  I'll try some low power testing to see just which way it goes, and then if needed try angling the azimuth and wing tilt.  But Stan's Park Scout was very happy with straight ahead and about 25 degrees azimuth launch.  Will let ya know.  Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 06:45:19 AM »

Almost done with the first one.  Caley

Caley,
I'm anxious to hear how the Model flies. I don't build/fly gliders. My first and only was a Kevin Moseley "Top Gun 6" for hand launch.
I'm gonna build an "Easy Mini" though I wonder why the weight is supposed to be about 10 grams! Hard to believe.
The decalage looks weird too. We'll see.
I hope I haven't sent useless info/bad plan.
Dave Andreski
With the short nose moment, the ballasted weight prolly HAD to be ten gms.  The decalage looks OK, tho.  The top of the fuz stick is straight(?) and the lower edge tapered - looks to be ~1/2°.

If you LENGTHEN the nose a bit (NOT too much), you'll need less ballast and get the AUW to a reasonable value.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 08:40:49 AM »

I built a bunch of those Easy Mini's a few years ago with my nephew and they never weighed more than 5 grams even with fairly hard wood. They are very quick to build and fly very well.
Caley, why did you put a wash-in wedge on the Right wing?

Tmat

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 10:05:54 AM »

Tony, I am left handed in many things, including launching catties.  So I just followed the directions on the Park Scout plan and reversed everything as suggested for lefties.  The reason I added the wedge is just to see how things go.  It is not biggie if it creates scrapwood.  I just wanted to see if I did things like on the Park Scout, the Mini would fly like that.  I'd love to do Park Scouts with the kids, but just cannot afford that much wood.  Caley

Guess I could scale the PS down to 8 inches though

Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 10:43:20 AM »

Ah yes, that makes sense. Backwards Caley Grin
Sure, you could easily make an 8" Park Scout. I'm sure it would fly great.
The Easy Mini uses all straight lines which is possibly easier to cut out?

Tmat

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 11:25:28 PM »

Caley Ann
TMat is right the fewer curved cuts you need to make the easer the build will be !!
George
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2012, 07:04:50 AM »

"Straight" cut models DO present an allround easier build, but is mainly true IF the parts are to be cut by the builder.  Though time and effort (and the least wasted balsa) is major factor for Caley, kids are more attracted to curvy things (read: "pretty", "neat").  Performance awareness, irrespective of shape, comes later.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2012, 01:17:55 PM »

I forgot to take my glider to the dry lake bed this morning.  So I had to fly in the lot next to my house.  Fortunately, it was jussst big enough.
  I hand glided it yesterday, fining it needed quite a bit of clay to get it gliding levelly with a hard throw.
  My first launch was a pretty weak one straight ahead and bout 20 degrees elelvation.  It climbed while doing a bareel roll and then did a quick plunging glide in a tight right turn that got tighter and faster.  No damage.
  I removed clay from the nose and added that to the left wing, and tried again, this time at about 60 degree elevation and straight ahead.  Much nicer!!!!  But the glide to the right was still pretty brisk and too fast getting down.  The turn was better, but still too tight.
  So I removed a bit more clay from the nose, and added it to the left wing and pointed it nearly straight up and let it rip.  WOW!!!!!  What a climb, nearly too high for me to see.  The transition was perfect, and glide to the right was pretty much level.  Problem was that the wind picked up and I lost sight of it as the wind pushed it farther away.  But it came back into view and was gliding like one happy camper.  
  Know the last one was well over 30 seconds, but really no idea.  I think that will be good enough for the kids
  The launching stick I used was one of the batch that Geoge Dimeflyer sent me.  I drilled a hole in one end.  Tied a 8 inch length of tan rubber into a loop and pulled it through the hole with a piano wire.  Figure that is about all the length the kids will be able to handle.
  But there is one problem with giving them a catty that isn't trimmed.  It will probably be pure disaster, as the kids will not know what to do.  Doubt the parents will either.  And I just don't have the time to go through about 32 kids per day (4 eight kid classes)  and still help them build and get the model trimmed for straight ahead throws.  Maybe I will just have to not give them a launching stick unless I can get them, with their parents out for a show and tell, a few kids at a time.
  Anyway, back to what little flying I did.  This glider is the very first that I actually got pointed nearly straight up, and had transition.  Most of the others were lawn dart prone.  So, the question about the decalage is not a problem.  It seems to be good.  You just have to find the proper nose weight to get things balanced.  Caley

PS, This 7.5 inch glider would not have been able to fly in the Tustin blimp hanger, as it just climbs too high.

Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2012, 06:15:40 PM »

Now all you need to do is cut the parts out  Caley Ann !
Now you know why I sent you those sticks !!
I still have about a hundread of them left yet , actuly more like 2 thosand  Sad Sad Smiley?!?!
George
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2012, 06:26:08 PM »

Georeg, Yes, probably several weeks of work for me, once I determine who, what, when, where and how from the director youth center. 

I probably will hand the launching stick to the kids as they leave for the day, with a note to their parents about what it is for, and that the use of it will not mean the model will fly.  The model must be adjusted, and that I can help on a one on one basis, if they wish.  The reason I will make it that way, is that if you have ever had a group of children crowded around you demanding that theirs is more important than the other children... Well you know what I mean.  We can trim the model in the area they have for hand launching.
  Now to go on base and sell the product.  Caley

Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 06:34:11 PM »

Have fun with that Caley Ann !
George
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2012, 06:38:32 PM »

George, I certainly will.  And after thinking about things for a few minutes, I've decided that I won't hand them the launching sticks.  I will provide the letter to the parent about making the model a CLG if I can do it one-on-one with the child and a parent.  It would be a total waste of my time to drill out all those sticks and add the rubber band.
  I just checked the box of sticks you sent me.  I guess there are probably around 700+ in it.  Enough to supply the world, well, almost.  Caley

Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 02:09:23 PM »

Caley Ann
I believe in makeing sure you have what you need for yourself and others at the same time !  Grin Roll Eyes Wink
George
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: