Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 21, 2021, 09:24:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swing Control  (Read 14642 times)
simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

United States United States

Topic starter
Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 02:29:15 PM »

The P51 is in the upper right corner of the pic.

Oooops, make that the upper left corner of the pic.

Al Locker USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Topic starter
Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 12:55:04 AM »

Recently, we were browsing the Guillows web site and came upon their commercial foam gliders at.

http://guillowgliders.com/foamgliders.htm

A couple of the gliders appeared to be suited for quickie inexpensive 'ZIP" swingers. Namely, the Jet Wing and the Mono Plane.  Good for flying models for beginners.  Affordable and easy to make. 

PDF files of the foam gliders are downloadable from  the Guillow site.  So we downloaded the Jet Wing and the Mono Plane.  Printed them and combined them to a single page.  Modified the Guillows shapes with MS paint and came up with this pattern sheet which can be printed to a letter sized sheet of card stock.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Swing Control

simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Topic starter
Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 12:58:24 AM »

To build the models, the pattern sheet was printed to card stock.  The shapes were cut from the card stock and traced to scraps of sheet foam obtained from recycled leftover food containers.  The parts are cut out and assembled with white glue.  The Jet Wing consists of four parts.  A hole is cut in the nose to hold weight for balancing.  The trailing edges of the Jet Wing are bent upwards on the dotted lines on the pattern to form elevons.  For test flights one doubler is glued in place and the weights are held in place with a bit of tape until the balance point is determined.

simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Topic starter
Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 01:01:49 AM »

The completed Jet Wing and some flight pix.

simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Topic starter
Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 03:11:21 PM »

The cutting patterns and material for the monoplane 'Zip' flyer is shown two posts prior to one.

The first attachment shows the parts needed for the monoplane, six in total.

Next shows the fuselage being glued to a doubler.  The two part fuselage will allow for a removable wing.

Next the two doublers are glued together.  The forward fuselage when slid on to the rear fuse captures the wing in place.

simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Topic starter
Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 03:19:18 PM »

The monoplane 'Zip' flyer is ready for flying.  The patterns in the first pic are for a future 'Zip' flyer, A profile C-118.

A couple flight pix of the monoplane.  In the far right of the second pic there is a dove flying in loose formation with the monoplane Wink

simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Topic starter
Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 10:07:02 PM »

Our most recent addition to our fleet of swingers is this profile C-118.  First we take a plan by H. A. Thomas of a solid model DC-6 and scan it.  Next we manipulate it in MicroSoft paint to the the primary shapes of the airplane to print it to card stock to get the templates for cutting wood.  The card stock is cut up and the patterns are used to cut out the balsa parts.  Some decorative markings are applied to the balsa parts with a gel pen, and now we have a 'ZIP' kit ready for assembly.

simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Topic starter
Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 10:24:41 PM »

Assembly starts with attaching the vertical tail to the fuselage and attaching doublers to the fuselage and nacelles.  Wing dihedral is formed and the wing is glued to the fuselage and horizontal is attached.  After the wing joint dries, the nacelles are attached.  A temporary line loop is added to the wing tip and some BBs are added to the nose and the C-118 is ready for flight.

simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Topic starter
Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 10:28:19 PM »

Some flight pix of the C-118.

sprogs
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 06:22:58 AM »

Hi.
    I'm quite fascinated by the idea of swing control as a way of introducing myself to powered control line flying. At 60 I'm a bit concerned about dizziness so I could see how I coped with that, and it looks as if it's possible to use a cl handle to control the elevator too. Just a couple of questions, when I've built free flight I've always built light, with swing would the weight be such an issue? would a bit more weight even be an asset? Secondly, I have bought a second hand cl plane, if I run the lines through a rod, and keep the u handle would that fly? Do I really need to remove the prop and engine or can I just leave them on to keep the balance? These might seem obvious questions but I really am a complete beginner to c/l so any advice is appreciated.
Cheers
Dave

The interface between air and ground has no thickness at all. So why do I always find room for my aircraft there ?
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 10:03:53 AM »

There was an article on this in Aeromodeller about 1966. He called it whip control and described flying all sorts of machines - Hudson, Boston, Lancaster. I can dig it out next week when I get home if you wish. It was nothing like CL though. He controlled height with speed.
Bill
Saint Alfonzo
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

.. Wight Air Wrecks..

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 02:09:26 PM »

For those of us in England take a look here......... http://www.densmodelsupplies.co.uk/index.php?t=&c=whip_power

These are from BlackHawk models if you are in the USA.. Smiley

To infinity and beyond........
sprogs
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2014, 02:19:01 PM »

Thanks Bill.
I would be very interested in the article any way.  I'm going to make a profile model just to give it a go, as usual I suspect simple will go out the window and stupid fk10 or bv141 will take over. I'll let you know the results./
cheers
dave

The interface between air and ground has no thickness at all. So why do I always find room for my aircraft there ?
sprogs
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 02:28:25 PM »

Thanks for the link  Saint Alfonzo, COX ENGINES WITH SILENCERS! and electric c/l! just the ticket. Maybe I'll finally be able to repair the cox motor my dog ate in 1976, the first ic model I'd ever built, (eindekker Fokker) I finally finished it and went off to work, I came home to find 1/ - a guilty puppy, 2/ - two wingtips and 3 - a very chewed engine. I thought I'd lost the engine but it turned up again a few years ago, it's spent the last two years on the front of my flying cap with the prop freewheeling in the wind.
cheers
Dave

billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2014, 04:01:02 PM »

PM your address and I will sort it next week
Bill
sprogs
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 08:02:04 AM »

Have any of you tried flying any of the card scale models from fiddlers Green? I know some people have converted some of them to free flight. I scaled up some of their models a while back and I think it's worth a try. I'm going to make another flying flea scaled up to about 12 or so inch span and give it a go. I'll let you know.
cheers
dave

simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Topic starter
Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2014, 12:22:29 AM »

A couple of months ago we participated in a Comet dimer cookup at the Stick and Tissue.  They graciously allowed me to built a modified Phantom Flash for the cookup.  First, we converted the PF plan to a JPG and worked it over in MS paint to get a page with the basic shapes of the Flash.  Then we beefed up the structure and squared off the surface tips to simplify the construction.  The tailboom and flying surfaces were made to be removable for storage and transportation and ease of repair.

simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Topic starter
Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2014, 12:46:05 AM »

So we ended up with something that resembles a hand launch glider.  Put a bit of a nail into the nose and tossed it a few times in the back yard to ensure a straight and level glide path.  Swing flight performance of this little craft(14 inch wing-span) is very good and it makes a great back yard flyer.

Al

simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Topic starter
Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2014, 05:05:43 PM »

The most recent 'swinger' is an old Guillows shelf model of a B-29 modified for swing control.  We built a few of these Guillows shelf models as a youngster and flew them successfully as swingers.  A while back, a modeler friend, Bill Parker, gave us a Guillows shelf model of the B-29.  So we decided to try it again.

During the course of the build, Norma and I took a trip to Louisiana to visit family and friends.  We diverted our journey to make a short visit to the museum at Barksdale AFB in Shreveport.  There we saw the B-29 below on display.

While there, I took the opportunity to visit the Combat Skyspot Memorial also located at the BAFB museum and paid respects to some fallen brave heroes whose story has only come to light in recent years.  More information about these men and their bravery is at:  http://limasite85.us/

Upon returning home construction began on the B-29.  The picture shows most of the parts needed for assembly.

simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Topic starter
Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2014, 05:24:25 PM »

Originally, the kits were assembled with a piece of paper cut from the building plan to cover the bottom of the model.  As a kid we built them per the plan, but felt that the paper fuselage bottom could be improved upon.  So this time  the construction was altered to sheet the fuselage bottom form a long box that could be shaped into the cylindrical form of the B-29.

Also the nacelle construction was changed to make the nacelles deeper in height.

A temporary removable horizontal tail was fitted for the shaping process and fitting of tail parts.  Basswood pegs were used for this.

The partially assembled model ready for final shaping.  The challenge was now to reveal the B-29 lurking in  this assemblage of balsa.

simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Topic starter
Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2014, 05:43:37 PM »

With the help of a razor plane, a sharp knife, and some sandpaper the B-29 was found.  A simple tool consisting of a pointed piece of wire embedded into the end of a wood dowel made useful holder for the nacelles during shaping.

The B-29 was temporarily rigged for test flights.  A few pins were needed for initial test flights which were promising.

simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Topic starter
Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2014, 05:51:32 PM »

With proper nose weight and swing line location, the B-29 is a fine flier despite its tiny ten inch wingspan.  It is a bit sensitive to gusty and unstable air as the last picture shows.  For this reason, we fly it on a short line attached to the swing pole.

Thanks again, Bill, for the gift of the kit.

Al

Graiskye
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2014, 06:17:49 PM »

Nice to see you still flying you swingers Al. I too am gonna have to give it a try as I have two nephews who are just about the perfect age to start getting into this swing flying. Looks like you have a great time with it.
 Heres to many more great flights, and great models.
-Mike

"When I think of something monumentally witty, Ill let you know, till then you'll have to amuse yourselves."
simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Topic starter
Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »

Thank you, Mike, for your kind comment.  I wish a lot of success and enjoyment for you and your nephews if you choose to try swing control.  It is a very affordable way to get into model airplane building and flying.  The choice of models is vast.  Flying can be done almost anywhere.  It is quiet, requires little pre-flight preparation.  With a few weather proofing and structural considerations, the models may be flown in many conditions that would ground many other models.

Yes, I have a great time with these models and am blessed with the opportunity to fly often and whenever the the urge to so comes upon me.

Al

deniscullinan
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2016, 04:15:52 PM »

With the help of a razor plane, a sharp knife, and some sandpaper the B-29 was found.  A simple tool consisting of a pointed piece of wire embedded into the end of a wood dowel made useful holder for the nacelles during shaping.

The B-29 was temporarily rigged for test flights.  A few pins were needed for initial test flights which were promising.

It's pretty impressive the way Al can get such a real-looking in-flight picture from a small sheet balsa kit from long ago. Tether flying is a good idea, but too bad our young kids are now wrapped up in those computer games.

-----Denis
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: