Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2020, 08:58:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swing Control  (Read 12876 times)
sx976
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2020, 08:55:50 AM »

Thanks John!.

I'm planning to fly my Whip Control models at the Old Warden 'Mayfly' model meet (Shuttleworth Collection UK) the weekend of May 9th & 10th. We will be driving over to England especially for it. The event is sort of themed on the past, nostalgic side of aeromodelling, so these models should fit in well. We will also be taking our 2 week annual vacation in June in northern France where the Kite Festival takes place at Bray Dunes on the beach. I will be taking the models and declaring them as kites!! Fortunately two of my models are French, the LeO 451 and the Alpha Jet!!

The next model is underway. It's a FW 190 from the same series as the P-47. I intend to paint it in the colour scheme of a FW 190 captured by the RAF. Basically the same scheme as the P-47, but with a yellow underside.

I think that sometime I will have to try out retracts.

Onwards and upwards!!

Chris P  
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Swing Control
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2020, 08:51:08 PM »

Sounds like a fun event. Old Warden has a magic appeal! I'll be getting in as much RC glider flying as I can(F5J) and also some FF. I hope to go to a major model event in July - FF, Cl and RC.

Have fun
John
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2020, 02:57:07 AM »

The magic that is Old Warden !!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2020, 05:39:59 AM »

What year was that Chris?

John
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2020, 02:32:02 AM »

2016. I also flew in the Ebenezer competition. That's my Electric FF Hawker Hector at the back on the right.

We usually make the effort. We missed last year as my son's girlfriend had her 50th birthday that weekend. The 'zero' birthdays are a big thing in Germany.

It's a longish journey, but Old Warden is well worth it. 600 kms to Dunkirk and over on the ferry to Dover. Then up to a motel near Old Warden. We used to stay in Baldock but this year we're trying Letchworth.

Chris P
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 03:21:24 AM by sx976 » Logged
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2020, 08:04:11 PM »

They would be a good crowd from what I have read. I guess you lost to Dastardly in the centre of the front row. Chris writes here on HPA as Squirrelnet.

I have visited Germany a couple of times - 1987 with a Australian World Champs F3B team. It was in Achmer, but my friend and I had a 3 months holiday and also went through England, Scotland and Ireland.

Cheers
John
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2020, 02:28:37 AM »

The re-painting of the FW 190 to the captured RAF colour scheme was put on the back burner for 2 weeks due to a vacation to get away from the awful weather. I'm basically showing a progress shot to give myself a bit of motivation as it seems to take ages to do this kind of stuff. My latest technique is to 'paint' the model in a few coats of PVA glue to seal the surface, and then use paints from the Tamiya XF acrylic series. They seem to be easier to use than other brands, but are harder to track down here in Germany.

I intend to fit RC Elevator on this one as well.

Chris P
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 02:40:33 AM by sx976 » Logged
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2020, 02:37:14 AM »

As is often the case, I have sidetracked myself again. From the back of the cellar, 3 HQ Airgliders resurfaced. I had bought them some years back, but was extremely disappointed with the way they flew. As they are very 'kite-like', the idea is to convert them to Whip Control and fly them at the Kite Festival we visit in Northern France in June. The conversion should be very easy.

Tomorrow my flying buddy Harald & I are driving down to the model flea market at Lampertheim (in the direction of Mannheim). We go every year and for me it always symbolizes the start of the model flying season. There are a lot of dealers there too selling new stuff, so I might find something interesting (i.e. more sidetracks).

Chris P
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 02:48:28 AM by sx976 » Logged
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: February 29, 2020, 07:59:14 PM »

The FW is coming on well Chris. Do the coats of PVA add much weight and how much do you thin it for painting?

Colourful little distractions!

John
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2020, 06:22:17 AM »

I've not weighed the model before and after PVA coating because all my models are ballasted anyway. So sorry, I can't say except that you can tell that the model has become heavier.

I've had a slight issue regarding the PVA coating on the FW190 (which is coming along fine and will soon be finished). I realized I had unintentionally switched to regular PVA rather than the water resistant version and the water based acrylic paint has a tendency to cause the PVA skin to 'pick up' if you brush too hard. On previous models I used water resistant Titebond II without any problems. There are styrofoam safe primers for acrylic on the market, but PVA is much cheaper.

I take the top off the glue bottle and squirt a dollop into a margarine container. Then just a little water - maybe 10% at the most. It's not critical. I use a 'disposable' 25mm foam brush (which, of course, I wash out and keep!).

I test glided the HQ Airgliders in our sports hall (the weather's still unpleasant) and adjusted the trim where necessary. It's hard to add a tether point due to the kite-like construction, so I have gone for triangulated strings leading to an attachment ring. The blue & yellow model which had a propeller is currently getting a glider nose full of lead. I'll post some photos when they are done.

Chris P
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2020, 09:05:02 AM »

I took the 3 HQ Airgliders to our indoor flying this morning to trim them out on the line. My triangulated strings didn't work at all, with all 3 models flying with the model crabbing outboard and right wing low. After lots of experimenting with the tether on just one model, I used the solution for the other two. The models now fly superbly. Much slower than my other ones and very majestic. Attached photos of the modification of the rubber powered one to a glider. 

The FW 190 with RC Elevator is finished and I am very happy with it. Photos to follow when the skies clear up a bit and the wind subsides.

Chris P
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2020, 07:15:43 AM »

Here are some photos of the finished FW 190. Painted as a captured aircraft of RAF 1426 Flight (the so-called Rafwaffe!).

I am currently building another kit which surfaced in the cellar after 7 years (!) - a cartoon scale Dornier Delphin II flying boat made of very resilent EPP. I will use it as a Knock-About model at Old Warden for anyone who wants to try Whip Control. No RC Elevator. Should be finished in a couple of days.

Chris P

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2020, 10:41:07 PM »

That's a very nice paint job Chris - particularly over foam. How well does the paint hang on? It would make a very nice RC model as well.
Hope it flies as well as it looks.

John
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2020, 05:45:06 AM »

Thank you! The model came painted in German camouflage, so it was basically 'primed'. The painting with white glue gives a good base, so the new paint job is fine.

The model is, of course, intended for RC. One of the fun bits is getting rid of the depressions for the aileron servos and horns! It is much smaller internally than the P-47, but I guess that was also the case with the real aircraft.

This is the first time I have been totally prepared on time for Old Warden, so my concern now is that it will be cancelled due to Coronavirus. Isn't that always the way?! I was also supposed to be flying to Wisconsin in April to see my daughter, but that looks very shaky too.

Chris P
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: March 16, 2020, 08:50:09 PM »

Well hopefully you have a bit of luck there but I'm afraid I would not be holding my breath my breath.

John
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2020, 06:33:30 AM »

This is the Cartoon Scale Dornier Delphin II. I bought it at a modelling show 7 years ago, but it wandered to the back of the cellar. I paid only €29 for the kit which was on sale from what I would call a 'cottage industry manufacturer'. The model has a span of 790mm and a flying weight of 286g of which 80g are for balancing. I took the magnets out of an old outrunner for the freewheeling prop and used them to attach the bottom of the fuselage! Waste not, want not!

No RC as it's intended as a knock-about model. I added a clevis adjustment to the elevator for easy trimming. Unfortunately I can't go up to our modelling field to try it out as it's off limits due to the Corona virus. Still, if I do get confined indoors, I have a cellar full of unmade kits to keep me occupied!

Take care everyone.

Chris P
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2020, 07:44:12 PM »

Very colourful Chris. A shame about access to the flying field but safe is best. Best of health to you and your family as well Chris.

John
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: April 08, 2020, 02:49:48 AM »

This was my first 'Corona Lockdown' project. It's a P-40 white foam model from 'Flyfly' at AliExpress. Span 550mm, finished weight 166g with 15g ballast to correct the CG. The kit was missing the tail surfaces. AliExpress refunded my money, but I didn't have the heart to bin it, so I made new ones from balsa.

Spinning prop, but no RC for the elevator. Painted in RAF 112 Squadron markings. I found the Shark Mouth picture on the web and printed it out with Powerpoint.

The underside of the wing, unfortunately, had a total of 9 holes for servos, cables etc which required filling with balsa. It was a bit of a nightmare sanding the blocks without roughing up the EPP surface. The previous models were made of Styrofoam, but this one is EPP. I knew I had a tin of Multiplex EPP primer I had bought years ago. Amazingly I found it still in its original packing. When I opened the tin, it was compeletelly empty as the contents had evaporated! I checked on the web and found that nitro dope thinners worked just as well to 'degrease' the surface, and a check showed that it does.

I sprayed the model with a water based acrylic primer, which gave an excellent base for the paint. Unfortunately I later discovered that the most gentle of masking tape would remove the paint under it. This was fixed to by spraying the model in a water base clear matt acrylic.

Flying at our field is still banned due to the virus lockdown, so I will have to wait before I can fly it.

Chris P

PS : The pilot is the same one as in my P-47 and FW 190. He is affectionately known as 'Winkle' after Eric 'Winkle' Brown. Eric Brown flew a total of almost 500 aircraft, including the test flights of captured enemy aircraft. He definitely flew a P-40, P-47 and FW 190, so this is my very small way of honouring this amazing man.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 03:00:45 AM by sx976 » Logged
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: April 08, 2020, 04:47:03 AM »

You make painting foam look easy Chris. Thanks for all that info.

When you need to sand next to an area that you wish to leave undamaged - one approach is to mask off the area with masking tape and run the sanding block only on the masking tape. I also generally have a layer of masking tape on the block where it will be running on the adjacent structure.

I use this when repairing dings in my Catapult launch glider wings. The oversized balsa section is quickly sanded down to match the adjacent wing easily using this approach.

I'm also a fan of Eric Winkle brown - possibly the greatest Test pilot of the 20th century.

July is the earliest optimistic chance to fly here Chris and I'm not holding my breath.

Take care.

John
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: April 08, 2020, 05:25:59 AM »

Thanks John!!

This is what I have finished up using. For foam I find Tamiya Acrylic Matt easier to use than Revell or Humbrol. The primer from Rayher and matt varnish from Marabu are of superb quality, but probably only easily sourced in Europe. I am always frustrated when our American colleagues enthuse over Krylon, which is unavailable here. The yellow paper masking tape from AliExpress also gets a big thumbs up. It made masking of the canopy framing very easy.

If you check the 3rd photo above, you will see the copious amount of masking tape I used to protect the foam! I still had a couple of small roughed up areas though. I rubbed in 5 Minute epoxy thinly and lightly sanded as a repair.

Old Warden Mayfly 2020 has been cancelled. Unfortunate, but understandable. I should currently be in Wisconsin visiting my daughter, but that was cancelled too. We are hoping that our 2 weeks in June in France will still happen. Fingers crossed.

Take care and stay healthy

Chris P
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 05:49:08 AM by sx976 » Logged
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2020, 09:06:53 PM »

Thanks for that Chris. That info has been filed.

That was a bit dumb of me - I missed all the tape in your photo! I use a lot of masking tape - normal and low tac varieties - every thing from holding sandpaper on blocks, masking for sanding (even for paint  Smiley) to retaining the wing tips on a Inside F5J glider!(low tac for that). A very understated tool in modelling!

Cheers and take care.

John
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2020, 07:03:14 AM »

I think I need a bit of a rest from the foam flyers. My son is a huge fan of team racing. In his teens we used to drive up to Bochum to watch the supermen of team racing such as the Metkemeijer brothers. Great memories!! I'm tempted to do a Whip Control Team Racer for him. I'm rather taken by the F2C class and have downloaded this plan. A search this morning revealed enough balsa available to build it 'for free'. There isn't enough room to fit a 'vandalised' Speed 400 for the freewheeling prop, so I sketched out a design for a 3mm shaft within a brass tube using flanged ball bearings and a spinner prop nut. It looks pretty good! I'm unsure about the CG (and therefore the tether point), so it would mean a simple 'scale' chuck glider to establish it.

Chris P  

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2020, 09:27:40 AM »

That's not a bad idea Chris!

John
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: May 08, 2020, 03:08:13 AM »

Here are a couple of progress pictures of the F2C whip model basically for mid-project motivation. Our flying field is closed for flying (due to the virus), but not closed as such. So I spent a happy hour up there sanding the wing in glorious sunshine. Nobody will complain about balsa dust on the grass! I hope to get up there today to sand the fuselage blocks.

Chris P
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2020, 01:19:07 AM »

After the second sanding session at the flying field, the model is really taking shape. I'm very pleased with the results so far.

Next steps fitting the undercarriage and tether hook

My daughter owns a 'Cricut' machine. She thinks it's possible to do the red letters with black shading as shown on the F2C plan. That would be cool!  

Chris P

PS re the use of Tamiya paint : I have just done a Pinewood Derby car for my grandson. He wanted it in Army camouflage! I discovered that a tiny splash of water in the paint makes it even easier to use.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:45:14 AM by sx976 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: