Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 13, 2020, 09:57:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swing Control  (Read 12402 times)
sx976
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: June 24, 2020, 09:30:08 AM »

I have had no success trying to glue Depron with PVA. PVA needs to soak into the grain, and Depron doesn't have a grain. I have also ordered highly expensive glues from Amazon like Titebond II and Gorilla glue for other projects. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet!! I order Uhu Por on Ebay from England. 4 packs for around €15. Don't know if they ship to India. I live in Germany and it's a German product and it's still cheaper from England!  

Chris P
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:45:28 AM by sx976 » Logged
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: June 24, 2020, 09:49:23 AM »

I flew the new Guillow’s Sky Raider in our sports hall this morning. I was expecting to have to adjust the trim by cutting in elevators, but it flew perfectly. I had applied the same criteria as I used for the Felix IQ 60 and wanted to see if a swept wing model reacted differently. There was no difference. The new Sky Raider with a CG balance weight up front is at 51g under half the weight of the old one (ballasted) and flies slowly and majestically in our hall. It would definitely need ballasting for outdoors flying, but I intend to fly it only in the sports hall.

The model comes out of the bag with the tailplane set at a healthy negative angle. This proved exactly right for Whip Control!

This is the setup I used :

Fuselage tether 43mm behind the LE at the root.
CG 62mm behind the LE at the root. Corresponds to 15% at MAC.
Outer guide 97mm in from the tip. Front edge of the wire loop 39mm in front of the LE which gives a forward line sweep of 3 degrees. Loop bent upwards ca 22mm to line up horizontally with the fuselage tether.

I have now been trying out 0.3mm Spider Wire for a couple of weeks and I like it. I changed from monofilament to thread, which was an improvement, but Spider Wire is definitely better.

Chris P
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Swing Control
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: June 24, 2020, 10:05:56 AM »

Here's an F-15 for Depron :
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: June 24, 2020, 07:46:03 PM »

It's good to see the setup working well on the Skyraider, Chris.

It sounds as though the CG position would work well as a CL model with that CG and 2 line control to a tail/elevator set at zero degrees.

I agree re your comments on UHU Por for Depron - it is the best glue to use. Also Depron is becoming hard to obtain in some sizes and there are alternatives such as Graupner Veroboard or aerofoam.

John.
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: July 01, 2020, 06:42:26 AM »

Flew in our hall this morning. I wanted to try out the third test model, a 600mm EPP SBach. I had cut in a little more negative incidence for the tailplane and used exactly the same setup as the first two test models. The model flew perfectly without the need of any adjustment at all. I think I have finally cracked the setup for Whip Control !

I wanted to keep the Guillow's Sky Raider light, so I just glued on some Cold War style RAF roundels (Valiant, Victor, Vulcan) and a bit of black paint to represent a cockpit. It'll do. I'll do a black cockpit on the SBach too now that I know it flies.

Chris P
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: July 02, 2020, 01:32:05 AM »

Neat Chris. I checked out the angle between the tether point and the CG at the wing root on CAD and came up with 8 deg which was where I was expecting it to be.

Have fun.

John
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: July 02, 2020, 08:07:31 AM »

Hi John

I always file my data sheets, so it was easy to check. I had set it up as 3 degrees forward sweep from the front of the outer guide loop to the centre of the fuselage tether loop.  I had not calculated  the angle from the front of the outer guide loop to the CG at the wing root as you show. You were very close, it is 8.6 degrees! If you took it to the CG at the fuselage centre line, it would be 7 degrees.

Chris P

PS - I have discovered the down side of Whip Control - Tennis Elbow!!!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: July 02, 2020, 07:28:25 PM »

PS - I have discovered the down side of Whip Control - Tennis Elbow!!!
  That's annoying and I don't think it will ever be a paying proposition like professional tennis Smiley

Actually i think that the heavier models may give you a easier time- after getting them up to speed their momentum will carry them for a couple of laps perhaps.

happy whipping.

John
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: July 03, 2020, 05:33:01 AM »

I was originally using our fabulous Sports Hall just for testing, but I'm finding flying light, slow models there very enjoyable. I think whatever the next project is, will be optimised for indoor flying.

Chris P

sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: July 07, 2020, 12:34:32 PM »

Re : Reply #213 Whippersnapper

I managed to get up to the flying field today to do some RC flying. I took along the Whippersnapper I had made. It was a bit too windy for my liking, but I flew it anyway. In a few words :

Yes, it will fly loops !!

Yes, it will fly inverted !!

Yes, it will fly bunts !!

Yes, it will fly eights !!

Who would have thought that !! All a bit untidy, but for something that crude I'm totally impressed!!

Chris P
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: July 09, 2020, 02:30:00 AM »

One of my club colleagues wants to have a go at Whip Control, so I decided to knock up a model for him to get started. I bought five 48cm foam gliders from AliExpress for under €10. This would also be a great way for someone to build a very inexpensive model just to try it out.

I added 20g under the cockpit so that the model balances 15mm from the leading edge at the root. The fuselage tether point is exactly at the leading edge. The tether has a 90 degree bend and is fitted into a horizontal cut in the fuselage. The wing guide is 130mm out from the root and the front edge of the loop is 15 mm from the leading edge to give 3 degrees forward line sweep.

The tailplane is fitted into the top slot. A little down elevator was found to be necessary during flight trials and was cut in with an Xacto knife and fixed with CA glue. The huge amount of longitudinal dihedral to allow the forward CG means that it is a very stable flyer.

The model weighs 70g, so can be flown indoors and outdoors in not too windy weather.

Chris P
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: July 09, 2020, 08:19:00 PM »

Loops and bunts - that is pretty good going Chris. I guess that was on around 30' of line?

Re the foam model - original design by Multiplex. They are pretty good FF gliders as well but also make very interesting small RC models. I had one with 3 channel control and a folding prop. Ailerons,elevator and motor with a folding prop.

I hope your friend enjoys the whip version!

John
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: July 10, 2020, 01:18:42 AM »

Loops and bunts - that is pretty good going Chris. I guess that was on around 30' of line?

Re the foam model - original design by Multiplex. They are pretty good FF gliders as well but also make very interesting small RC models. I had one with 3 channel control and a folding prop. Ailerons,elevator and motor with a folding prop.

I hope your friend enjoys the whip version!

John

I only had my small indoor pole with me, so the Whippersnapper was flying on a pole + line length of 23 feet. I hope to get some RC flying in this weekend, if the weather behaves, and will try the model on longer lines.

I also spent an hour converting the Brewster Bermuda back to 2 lines with elevator. Will try that out too.

Chris P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: