Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 27, 2020, 06:52:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Allen Engineering AE 0.5cc Diesel - Needs Gaskets & TLC  (Read 778 times)
TheDope
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »

Good evening,

An Allen Engineering AE 0.5cc Diesel has recently come into my possession. It's in a clearly used and somewhat abused state. Almost every screw has been tightened by someone with a screwdriver that was too small. Anyway, to help it find a new lease on life I began a tear down and rebuild. Good thing I decided to as I learned in doing so that the bottom of the piston rubs very gently against the crank web! Sounds major but it's really a niggle now that I know about it. It turns over freely and the previous owner assures me it runs. I'm pretty sure that if I had the inclination I could fix the rubbing.

At this stage I have given it a thorough cleanup and re-oiled everything. Things are starting to look up for this little diesel. What I'd like to do next is give it a set of new gaskets as one or two tore during my tear down. All the gaskets that were in the engine appear to be paper gaskets but I wanted to make double sure by checking with those who might know on here. Are paper gaskets the way to go for model diesels? If so, then do I order myself gasket paper and cut my own or do I look around for something ready made. The inner diameter of the majority of the gaskets is 12mm. Please bare in mind that I'm in the UK but if absolutely necessary I don't mind ordering from overseas.

Thanks for any advice Smiley
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 05:35:50 PM »

Just cut them out of thick brown paper.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 06:45:43 PM »

I agree with Gos. I have an AE 0.5 and can't remember seeing any joints that needed anything special.

They are nice little motors, and mine started easily once I got back into the swing of diesel flicking Roll Eyes Must dig it out and put it in a model.

Peter
TheDope
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 02:02:32 AM »

Excellent, I like a costless fix. I'll dig through our rubbish and see what brown paper I can find.

Thanks for the help  Smiley
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »

My DC Dart has an original red base gasket-as far as I can remember and it measures 30 thou and is made from the red plastic fiber material used on fuel fittings-this may be why your crank hits the piston.If the wrong thickness base gasket is used the timing is all wrong as well. The backplate gasket(missing) was around ten thou as it was thicker than brown wrapping paper which is 4-6 thou depending on brand and is not critical.
The AE may be different from this though.
My rod was a little second hand but I think most of the damage was because the piston was badly gummed up in the bore and I did not take enought care when I pulled it apart.
Unfortunately it has a crack in the crank so the engine is useless as good Dart cranks are hard to get.

Phil
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 08:36:56 PM »

I retract the point about the piston hitting the crank because of deck height-impossible-I should not try to think before my morning caffeine ha ha.

Cheers Phil
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 10:44:07 PM »

I do agree with 'groper' re. the thickness of the gaskets on DC motors when the liner goes down.  It must be correct to have the timing correct.  But not being an owner of an AE engine I have no idea if it needs to be thick or not.
TheDope
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »

I measured the two gaskets I intend to replace. Both are 5 thou and look distinctly like brown paper so I'm still happy to go along with gossie's suggestion. These two gaskets make a seal above and below the exhausts. The cylinder head on the AE is in two parts, an upper and a lower which clamp the exhaust flange / liner in place. If you're interested I could provide a picture but there are already some pretty good disassembled pictures over at model engine news.

Mine is actually a slightly odd example since it looks just like the 0.2cc AE engine. It has an integral fuel tank attached at the rear by a screw and, as a result, it's back plate is not counter bored like the examples seen in pictures on the internet. It also has the L shaped compression lever which is supposed to be particular to the 0.2cc and smaller but this engine is in an Irvine marked 0.5cc box with 0.5cc instructions. Though it looks like the 0.2cc it is a little large to be one in my opinion but to be sure I have contacted someone who has got a confirmed AE 0.2cc so that I can compare dimensions. Honestly I only wanted this engine because I thought perhaps the seller had gotten confused and that this was in fact the 0.2cc! If it turns out it is, I'll be both pleased and genuinely surprised. Either way, I feel a little uncertain about the quality of the work that went into this engine considering the bottom of the piston clearly scuffed quite badly against the crank web. Perhaps I'm the unwitting recipient of someone's bodged job.

Anyway, awaiting a suitable prop to arrive in the mail before attempting to run it and then we shall see  Smiley
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 06:44:30 PM »

You might be lucky and scored a 0.2cc.,piston diam on my Dart is 0.345".Have you ground the piston to clear the crank?not much meat on the .5cc piston but common practice in some modern engines to have a relief there-could have an incorrect rod fitted? .Mine was a little second hand by the time I got it apart and the conrod needed replacement,lucky I had one in a bag of bits,the gudgeon is also bent but I have found a supplier of hardened locating dowels the correct size- if I can find a crank shes a goer.
I bought a PAW .55 from Tennessee (far better exchange rate and I wanted some of Erics mil covering) to replace it-yeehaa better go put on my Dolly Parton CD now my mind is on Tennessee.

Phil
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 06:56:08 PM »

Checked out the link,yes totally different,the cylinder clamps in on gaskets-very nice I have seen a few on ebay they fetch good prices,USA ebay is normally cheaper for diesels than the UK they never caught the bug.

Phil
TheDope
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 08:30:29 AM »

Thank you Gossie  Smiley The brown paper gaskets work well. She is a runner, though don't ask me to quote numbers because I just tune these things by ear and don't have a tacho. This is only my second diesel having begun my journey last year with a mills 75 so I'm still new to this game and will start another thread explaining my procedure for getting to know an engine that has been bought second hand ie. an engine that most likely has the compression screw well out of the ball park and other controls fiddled with. Hopefully I'll get some comments on how I can improve my handling and secondly it'll serve as a useful reminder to me for future!

ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 06:09:51 PM »

There were two Marks of the AE 0.5cc-the first had no tank (nor any provision for it) while the second had the tank, and the spring starter-and looked very much like the AE 0.2cc on steroids I had one of each and found them disappointing in power and handling in comparison with a good DC Dart, and subsequently traded them-a decision I now regret. I've managed to get a replacement Mk2 on Ebay and will see if that's any improvement. Some of the engineering solutions on the small AE's were not the most sensible of ideas-very small grub screws retaining the venturi-easy to strip, easily lost-and hard to find replacements.

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: