Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 09:54:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Square Eagle?  (Read 810 times)
peekaboo
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:10:02 AM »

Grin I'm about to build a P30 Square Eagle, and I would like some input on how to go about it, with any suggestions on any construction improvements known to work.  Huh The plans are very clear, and the parts are lazer cut. The plans refer to a Lit-fuze D-T and I don't want to do it that way.  Huh  I would like to use a viscus type D-T, but don't know how to hook it up using kevlar string?   Huh I also would rather D-T the main wing, instead of the tail section.  Roll Eyes  Any suggestions on doing this?   Huh Otherwise the build looks straight forward, and rather easy, for a possible competative FF P30 Plane.  Grin
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 04:01:50 AM »

The Sq Eagle is a great P-30! I've built several, but not one of the new laser kits.

Here's some suggestions:

On the fuselage - I bought two 1X1X36" aluminum angle stock from the hardware store to prop up the fuselage sides and to keep them straight. (these will be handy for future projects). Use reversed clothes pins to hold the sides in place. Also, wax(no silicone) the bars to minimize gluing to the wood.

Something you should check- The SE was designed for the old black FAI rubber. The newer tan/SS motors end up a bit shorter, but enough that the free wheeler might not work. Make up a 10g. motor and check it before you set the rear peg.

Note that the dihedral ribs are at a slight angle. This is NOT an error and I think it's a contributing factor to the planes success.

The one place I have an issue with the SE. The rudder! It's ugly and if you are not careful with the tissue, it will warp into a potato chip. All my SE's (6!) have different shape and style rudders. Some built up and some from 1/16 sheet balsa.

FWIW - I covered all my stabs and rudders with 1/4 mil mylar, wings and fuse with tissue.

If you are competing, make sure you check the weight of the airframe and your rubber motor. All my SE's were at weight or under.

Make sure you use the DT, whatever you choose. Mine are basically stock, pop tail and fuse.

Have Fun!

- Norm

Aerostar
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 02:58:19 PM »

I love my SE! Two loops of 3/16 at 10g will allow some slack. Braiding it (at least for me) makes it too tight. But, even without braiding it, I am still able to be very competitive. I use a regular plastic prop with a regular prop shaft.
As to your DT options, I really like the the standard DT setup. It's bee very reliable for me.

"You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can't, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don't give up."
Chuck Yeager
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: