Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 26, 2019, 12:32:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Idea ->Swing weight or nose-drop-weight for CLG DT- feasable or unfeasable ?  (Read 674 times)
jswain
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2012, 11:39:43 PM »

A question has been running around the back of my mind for awhile and i was wondering what the groups take on it is.

After successfully building 4 clg's, two with pop-up tail, one with aluminum drag tab, and one with no DT, i have seen nothing mentioning a tlg/hlg/clg model that uses a string attched releaseable nose weight(by some length of string, say 2~3 feet) that drops from the nose causing the model to become aerodynamically upset and stop flying. My p30 has the tethered wing at the rear of the fuse and works well to get out of the hat-suckers.

The point to this type of DT is it  being a simpler fixed components model to build, no more or less.

In my minds eye i'm thinking of attaching the line to the fuse under the CG causing some kind of unrecoverable downard pattern. I don't think attaching tether point to the nose of the model and then the  lead weight would be good to the model Undecided but a tumbling descent would be ok.

I would really be interested in what the OT's have seen or others have seen/tried.

best wishes, john s.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 94

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:49:59 AM »

That method actually has been tried. I heard the main problem was with the ballast swinging about and starting to hit the flying surfaces. My experiments with doing it on powered models were unimpressive. For gliders, the new reverse wing DT by Buddenbohm seems to be the ticket. Supposedly brings them down faster than any other method.
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 06:19:15 PM »

Swinging weight DT was used quite a bit in the 50s, 60s * maybe later.
AIR, possibly Larry Conover[RIP]started it on his Flanger HLG series.
I used it as well, but don't recall it being too bad, except for the times the weight went over the wing and kept
going up! What I did not like was the loud noises it made on launches!  Plus, it was draggy in whatever setup I tried.
Sometime in the 70s I started using popup stab(rear half), operated by fuse burning band at the nose.
That was Bill Blanchard's setup and he was about the best HLGer around at that time.
Now I use reverse wing DT, aka 'Tumbling Pigeon' as designed by Ralph Ray. Stan B does sell them. 
They do seem the best ticket for CLGs and I have seen a couple of TLGs with the forward hinged TP DT setup.
All were quite nicely done and worked well. 
A major benefit is that some mass moves forward of CG, thus being able use less nose weight to balance.
You won't need indoor wood, as 5-7# balsa gives fine AUW. Thus the glider is stronger for a given total weight.

Leeper
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: