Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2019, 02:36:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CO2 Videos  (Read 1421 times)
kpriddle
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2012, 11:41:51 PM »

Hello, everyone:

I've become quite interested in CO2 recently, and have acquired a couple motors of my own.  I currently have an OK Cub motor and a G-24, but I've been bitten and am looking at more Smiley.  I am not exactly interested in making an R/C CO2 powered airplane, but the idea is very neat.  Is there anyone that is willing to post a video or explain how their R/C motor runs or operates?

According to BSS (http://www.blacksheepsquadron.com/throttle.html#lockringthrottle), the lock ring replacement can be used for R/C or simply as a quick easy way to adjust the cylinder height (throttle).  Do I have this right?

Maybe Dan Mellor can chime in?  Wink

Thank you very much,
Kyle  
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:56:50 PM by kpriddle » Logged
union model
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 03:24:46 AM »

I've used the Gasparin throttle in the past, only as setting the speed for a G300 twin in a free flighter. It felt like you would need a strong servo to move the regulator arm under Co2 gas pressure. Probably with todays 1.5g linear servos they might do it, the magnetic actuators didn't provide enough force.

The ultimate R/C Co2 model has to go to Rainer Gaggle http://www.prop.at/kurzber/2006/farman.html
Rainer builds his own engines too.

Henery Pasqet in the USA did alot of micro Co2 R/C
BlueBaron
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 09:58:19 AM »

I tried to call  someone from the Blacksheep about C02 and got my head handed back to me   Sad. Don't list your number if you don't want calls, its very simple. That's just my experience.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »

Hi kyle,

Sorry! I have no experience of R/C CO2, just the little stuff...

Cheers,

Dan.
Ron_P
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:25:06 PM »

Black Sheep used to have a Gasparin produced to control the speed of the motor. The valve was installed between the tank and the motor. I have one in my motor collection but haven't used it yet. I now have a bucket list to install my entire collection in flying models. Send me your address by the mail system on this forum and I'll send you all of the CO2 info that I collected over the years. Smiley
union model
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 02:24:49 PM »

Kyle,

My personal view, with Co2 you will not achive the same duration an electric motor & lipos can give (not wishing to get into a debate).

With Co2 motors, if you run them fast, they use more Co2. In doing so, they tend to ice up quiet quickly. If you select a smaller / lighter airframe, powering with a slightly more powerful Co2 motor, this should enable you to run the motor slower avoiding the dreaded icing. If the motor ices up, leave it a couple of minuites. The warmer the weather the better for Co2.

Approx Model sizes: G24 13" span 1oz weight. G63 17-22" span 1 3/4oz. GM120 22-28" span 2 1/2oz. GM300 28-32" 3 1/4oz

I wouldn't bother with R/C throttles. For R/C I would use magnetic actuators for G24- G63 sized models. 1.5g Linear servos for GM120- GM300 power.

Picts attached 13" Tomboy, rudder only. Brown A23 on standard tank. Rx Deltang 2.4Ghz 0.32g, 1g actuator Bob Selman, 30mAh 1s lipo. Model weight 26g flys for 4 mins on a liquid Co2 charge.

'V' Twin is my own Co2 engine I made on the lathe based on a Tornado 69.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: CO2 Videos
union model
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »

V Twin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: CO2 Videos
BlueBaron
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 03:04:19 PM »

Thanks for the useful information Union Model  Smiley
union model
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 03:13:39 PM »

Hope it was of some help.  Smiley
Pat Daily
OOS, December 2017
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 10:18:48 AM »

From many years of flying CO2 free flight scale, I found that the little white props are not so good.  I like using Paulonia (spelling?)props with a larger diameter and more pitch--they run at slower rpm but provide more thrust and longer flights.

Pat Daily USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: