Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 07, 2020, 02:59:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: UFAG C1 1/18th Scale Build  (Read 4679 times)
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 47

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2012, 09:22:43 AM »

Hi Dave,

You building is very much interesting and appreciated.
Thank you.

I've seen a model that was of a full scale sponge on camo type and the modeler said he used a cotton swab and a magnifying glass!
The finish over the paint was a thinned satin laquer if I recall. Dull (ish).
Cool stuff.

Tony

Instructions: Step One...Assemble the pile of sticks shown in pic "A" to look like the model airplane shown in pic "B"........
sparkle
Platinum Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2012, 06:24:50 AM »

Grin Hi Dave, youve got heaps done while i was on holiday. I love your attention to detail.
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2012, 09:42:25 AM »

Hi
That was a short holiday John, I guess when your indispensable you cant stay away for long.  Grin
     Some more fiddly bits, The radiator has a venturi arrangement on top, it must be to maintain a constant pressure somehow.  Next up I made the cowl, carved a plug and molded it from .007" styrene, the louvers even came out OK
I will hold the cowl in place with double sided tape until I finalize the thrust settings then glue it with PVA
regards Dave
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: UFAG C1 1/18th Scale Build
wordguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2012, 09:50:14 AM »

One of the most informative builds I've ever seen.

As it is not at all likely that any means of suspending the effect of air-resistance can ever be devised, a flying-machine must always be slow and cumbersome. . . . But as a means of amusement, the idea of aerial travel has great promise.

— T. Baron Russell, 'A hundred Years Hence,' 1905
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2012, 11:48:10 AM »

I agree!
Dave Andreski

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
wordguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2012, 12:24:15 PM »

I wish I'd been able to look over his shoulder when he cut the parts for the ring-shaped MG mount.  The lightening holes (indeed, all the sheet-work) is basically mind-blowing.

As it is not at all likely that any means of suspending the effect of air-resistance can ever be devised, a flying-machine must always be slow and cumbersome. . . . But as a means of amusement, the idea of aerial travel has great promise.

dputt7
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2012, 06:08:25 AM »

Hi
Thanks for your support fellas, if you were looking over my shoulder at the time you would have had to put your fingers in your ears!
     Still more fiddly bits, Made up some wheels, I considered using O-rings as tyres as electric models tend to run around the floor on landing and with balsa wheels they make a terrible racket, but they felt rather heavy and in the end managed to make 2 complete wheels at the weight of 1 tyre. Normal practice here, 2 laminations of 3/32 with an aluminium tube axle and spun on my trusty Dremel. The Ufag wheels have the hub centered between the rim so I spun up a plug and moulded the cone shaped covers from .007" styrene. Just to pass the time I drilled out the valve hole and fitted a tyre valve.
dputt7
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2012, 06:14:36 AM »

Now for the sophisticated braking system, A claw operated by a cable by the pilot! Can't imagine how many times they would have dug in and stood on its nose. And finally the tail skid. The brake and skid are carved from spruce.
sparkle
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2012, 07:06:22 AM »

Grin Hi Dave, you are taking us all to school! as usual amazing stuff.
malc
Silver Member

Kudos: 13

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2012, 02:25:50 PM »

Hi
      Made up some wheels, I considered using O-rings as tyres as electric models tend to run around the floor on landing and with balsa wheels they make a terrible racket, but they felt rather heavy and in the end managed to make 2 complete wheels at the weight of 1 tyre.

Dave, for very light weight rubber like tyres use this stuff:- Expanded Neoprene cord - (its the 4th category down)

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=1

Its light enough to use on peanut models, has a smooth neoprene outer surface, (I used it on my Avro Racing Baby), and stretchy. Cut a length slightly undersize, superglue the ends together and stretch over the wheel rim. Nice, silent, very light weight tyres!  Im surprised so few Aeromodelers use it.

Malc.
dputt7
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2012, 08:52:41 PM »

Hi Malc
Thanks for that, I have just received some semi kits from Sky Lake Models and it is included in their kits and I was going to ask Dave if if was available( he's a great guy to deal with). I shall order some soon. The 5mm is a perfect size for 1/18th scale WW1 wheels. Thanks again, that's what I enjoy about this forum.
regards Dave
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2012, 06:06:00 AM »

..was very happy to have a chance to look at this model up close a few nights ago - it's as good as the photos - and the engine looks like you could turn it over and watch smoke blow out of the exhausts. Happy Birthday Dave.
Tim

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
dputt7
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2012, 10:40:52 AM »

Thanks Tim,
I've decided to go with my original plan and try and represent the sponge applied camo. First I have covered the fuselage with brown tissue to simulate the ply finish and so far covered the tailplane in the buff color of natural linen.  After many attempts using different methods I settled on using a paper template cut to the shape needed and used some dense foam to apply the paint, put on thin enough to show the original color below, It looks like the original photos so I guess that's something. Before painting the fuselage I cut out the many small panels and the footstep I also punched out the access panels from Litho plate with a hole punch. This gives a nice dome shape and a short piece of plastic represents the hinge. Finally I cut and bent some cabane strut mounts. We've got a long weekend coming up so I hope to get the rest of the covering done and a bit more painting, I seem to have a big heap of parts that need to be attached after the main painting is done so it would be good to get this done
regards Dave
wordguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2012, 10:55:52 AM »

"He was a genius - that is to say, a man who does superlatively and without obvious effort something that most people cannot do by the uttermost exertion of their abilities."

Robertson Davies, "Fifth Business"

Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2012, 01:06:40 PM »

Hi Dave,

Another beautiful model and exceptional build thread.  A tonne of great ideas.

Don
sparkle
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2012, 03:59:31 PM »

Grin Looking good Dave. You gotta love those long weekends!
dputt7
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2012, 11:00:19 AM »

Thanks for your comments,
I've got on with the covering, The wings came out OK, I was pleased with "scale like" structure visible through the tissue. I decided to glue the ailerons in position rather than hinge them, if needed later to trim they can be reglued. Covering the center section took awhile though, I should have made it removable, it was very hard to get to as well as making it difficult to paint the fuselage in that area especially with the sponge. The sponge applied camo went Ok on the rest though , I ended up with that many paper patterns I ended up numbering them so not to mix them up. Most of the painting is done now, just have to apply the national markings after the camo dries nice and hard, its cold and wet here right now so that might take awhile.
regards Dave
sparkle
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2012, 05:43:21 PM »

Smiley  Hi Dave,It looks nearly finished. looking forward seeing it all come together. Sorry to hear that your weather is yuk! if it's any consolation in sunny Queensland. It means i might get something done!
dputt7
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2012, 03:56:53 AM »

Hi
I've made up the axle from 3/32 tube with a hole to take the retaining wire, After fitting the wheel and the wire I glued the wheel discs in place, Next I glued the engine and radiator in place and plumbed the water hoses. I made a bit of a mistake when I built the engine, the photo of the 230h.p.Hiero I used for reference was fitted to a Phonix DII which has a radiator in front of the engine an uses a water pump to circulate the water through the engine. The Ufag has a wing mounted radiator and relies on Thermosyphon to circulate the water. No big deal it just meant I had to cut off the water pump.  I also found a clearer photo of the fixed gun in the nose that shows a formed panel over the barrel so I was able to fit this. I also fitted the claw brake and tail skid. Getting there  Roll Eyes Grin
regards Dave
sparkle
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2012, 05:49:18 AM »

Grin That is a good looking enjine!
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 49

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2012, 06:33:35 AM »

Not just the engine...all of it!

Brilliant Dave, can't wait for the next thrilling instalment

Peter
dputt7
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2012, 04:30:22 AM »

Well, here's the next thrilling installment  Grin
I've been applying the national markings, as it is a very late war aircraft it uses the "Balkenkreuz" instead of the "Iron Cross", a bit easier to apply. First off I cut the cross out of signmask and tried to lay it on the top of the wing, this didn't really work as the compound curves of the wing distorted the cross so I laid out the cross with masking tape, then cut 4 squares of signmask and fitted them against the cross, this made sure the cross is nice and square, then I removed the masking tape cross so I could spray the wing white. When dry I used a soft plastic rule and a Sharpie to mark the edges of the black cross, this gives a nice sharp line, then I filled in the cross with a brush, going as close as possible to the edge without going onto the white. The underside crosses were done the same way. I have used Humbol enamel now for longer than I can remember but lately its been oily and thin and the matt dries as gloss, I guess it now made somewhere else, so I found if I mix it for about 5 minutes then leave it with the lid off for a day or so its fine again. Anyone else had this sort of problem,
I was not quite convinced that the "Sponge applied" camo, while quite authentic, didn't look a bit rough, but after painting on the crisp markings I am finally convinced it looks OK and can accept that's how it's supposed to look.
regards Dave
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 04:40:25 AM by dputt7 » Logged
sparkle
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2012, 06:58:33 AM »

Grin Looks neat to me. i've just started using the glue you recommended. Wonderful stuff. Wonder why i stuck with the old stuff so long. Thanks. John D
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2012, 07:54:04 AM »

Probably one of the most authentic representations I've seen in some time.
A little mud on the tires and UC and there would be no telling it from the original.
Very nice Dave.

Tony

Instructions: Step One...Assemble the pile of sticks shown in pic "A" to look like the model airplane shown in pic "B"........
dputt7
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2012, 04:57:00 AM »

Thanks Fellas
Been finishing off the painting and fitting the control horns and cables. Photo 1 shows the ply control horn in place and the plastic "mounting plate" attached, to fill the small gap around the two I put a small fillet of PVA. Photo 2 shows the painted control horn, the actuating cable and the patch in the covering where the cable passes into the wing, the PVA fillet helps make it look as though the attaching plate and the horn are one.
The elevator control cable passes through the tailplane so to work out where, I made a simple jig. Photo3. In photo 4 you can see the control runs completed along with the support struts for the tailplane. Photo 5 shows the control horn from the top, similar to the aileron control.
Finally an overall view of the fuselage so far. Just needing the serial numbers to complete the painting, I have cut out a mask to spay them but I might see if I can get some Drypress numbers of the correct style.
After spending most of the day doing this I have come to the conclusion this size is about my limit for detail.
regards Dave
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: