Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 02, 2021, 02:14:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
 
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: scans of the rubber band motor mount from my Lil Wizard  (Read 1036 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Phil Krankowski
Bronze Member
***

Kudos: 0
Offline Offline

United States United States

Posts: 11

Topic starter


Ignore
« on: October 11, 2012, 11:50:30 AM »

I scanned the motor mount for my 30 year old Lil Wizard when I had it apart to clean.  I measured it too.

I have found this mount protects a trainer from damage by the rubber bands giving instead of the model breaking, and it can also allow the same motor to be used on more than one model with minimal effort at the field.

This can be made from 2 pieces of 1/8 inch plywood glued together, with a 3rd piece on the airplane for the rubber bands

Phil
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
scans of the rubber band motor mount from my Lil Wizard
scans of the rubber band motor mount from my Lil Wizard
scans of the rubber band motor mount from my Lil Wizard
Logged
packardpursuit
Platinum Member
******

Kudos: 46
Offline Offline

United States United States

Posts: 1,310




Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 03:43:45 PM »

Seems a bit different from when I built my Wizard, oh so many moons ago. IIRC , it was 1070 or so. The mount was one piece of 1/4"ply with "ears" (banding stubs) as  part of the outline, instead of two pieces. Otherwise, exactly the same in apparent function etc.

I got to fly a Black Widow powered Wizard about 15 ears back. First on 35' lines and then 52' dacron. I was very surprised at the flight characteristics on the longer lines. first wing over very scary, but no real problem. Loops etc and had a ball. Small diameter steel no doubt better still. I've always felt standard line lengths tended to be biased toward the shorter side of possible/practical. That model convinced me longer line are viable, almost across the board.

I'm hoping to fly some scale models with an OS.15 on 60 footers of standard .15 sized diameter.Will let everyone know how it turns out. Anyone with similar experiences/warnings to report??
Logged
themouse
Copper Member
**

Kudos: 0
Offline Offline

United States United States

Posts: 8



Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »

Okay, this is probably obvious to all but me, how does it attach to the airplane?  Do you have a picture? I'd be interested in this. I remember the old cox pt19 had a rubber band mount too, but it was all plastic and slid into a groove in the body.  This type for a profile would be ideal, I'm wanting to teach my 7 year old how to fly. My 11 year old is flying a Baby ringmaster bipe with a standard baby bee.  So far haven't done any major damage, but just tumbles on the landing cause cracks here and there over time. 

Austin
Logged
Phil Krankowski
Bronze Member
***

Kudos: 0
Offline Offline

United States United States

Posts: 11

Topic starter


Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 12:11:29 AM »

I don't check here regularly...sorry for taking so long

The firewall is plywood and cut to the same shape as the layer with the ears.  The second layer without ears is to prevent the rubber bands from choking the intake on bee engines.  The motor mount and the firewall are sealed and painted.  After suitable cure time the motor mount gets rubber banded to the firewall with a rubber band on top, and another on the bottom.

I'll get a picture later this week.

Phil
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!