Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 17, 2019, 03:42:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lacey  (Read 1179 times)
craig h
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2008, 08:19:34 PM »

Ok guys... I am almost complete with fuselage and flying surfaces of my first peanut Lacey. I have heard of pre-shrinking the tissue and then applying it using the UHU glue stick.

I have heard doping the surfaces and then applying the tissue with thinner and dope(possible wrapping) and adding weight.

I have heard of applying with the glue stick and then spraying with Kyron clear.

So,being a first timer for scale and smaller plane... which way to go for outdoor flying...(which I do the most) Undecided.

Craig h
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 08:17:55 AM »

Well Craig, If it were my Lacey and if the structure is light (low density wood sliced ribs or very soft wood etc). I follow the following procedure:

1. preshrink white tissue in a sturdy frame using alcohol (I would use a light misting of alcohol because I want the tissue to have some shrink left but not much) Note: if the structure is very light I would drench the tissue to get most of the shrink out.
2. Using illustration software (illustrator in my case) I would make up the markings (registrations and red trim lines etc.) for the model to the correct scale and then print the marking on my preshrunk jap.
 - I give a standard inkjet paper page a light misting of repositionable or light tack spray adhesive and carefully smooth the tissue onto the page
 - The page with tissue attached is run through the printer and the now printed jap is carefully peeled off and the next sheet to be printed is prepared on the same sticky paper page etc. etc.
 - I like to let the printed jap sit around for a while (hour or two) to dry etc. before covering (more time is better I think).
4. Use clear mylar or very thin cellophane etc. to do the windshield and side windows.
5. Get ready to cover; prepare some razor blades, fresh glue stick, clean surface, clean hands.
6. Cut the tissue to shape so that it fits the piece to be covered and the trimlines etc line up correctly (make some small guide marks for your self so that you get it in the correct place when the glue is already on.
7. Run the glue stick over the structure to be covered making sure to get some on the entire structure.
8. Position the tissue using your guide marks and lightly rub the tissue onto the glue.
9. I gently moisten the edges of the tissue to get it to adhere better and to help with pulling the covering tight...be careful of moisture...too wet and the ink will bleed badly and bum you out.
10. continue with this process until model is fully covered....get the covering as smooth as you can.
11. When done leave model to dry and cure overnight.
12. Give model components the gentlest misting with alcohol (I spray into the air and pass the component through descending mist several times)...if there is some shrink left it will tighten up a little....so pin the parts down on some porous surface to dry straight.
13. the last step is to spray the model with a light mist of krylon...this will help stop additional shrinkage and help to set the inkjet ink in place so that moisture from your hands does not affect it.

That is how I would approach it in general...

Bernard

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 08:50:45 AM »

Bernard

What a comprehensive reply - well done. Even though I'm not contemplating building any small (or indeed large) scale models, I'll file away your process as being an excellent "how to do it"!

Peter
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 277

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 10:37:25 AM »

As I read Bernard's instructions I thought 'these are good, someone should acknowledge the fact'. Then I got to the bottom and found that Peter had already done so. That just leaves me to align myself with Peter and say Well Done Bernard. (Is this the Teutonic thoroughness they talk about? Smiley)

John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 11:21:35 AM »

Hi All,
Thanks for the kudos...just wanted to avoid ambiguity so I tried to make em thorough.
I am not German BTW Wink... (born in south Africa of a Brit father and Afrikaner mother) and now basically a Californian in the cultural sense (16 years in California) Cool.

I guess I will Canadian in another decade or two...eh?

Bernard

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
craig h
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 11:23:33 AM »

Thank You Bernard... it has been well taken.

Craig
ScienceGuy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 04:23:08 PM »

My Lacy M10 will not win any scale contest but it does fly pretty well.  Not sure I have the perfect length of rubber yet.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Lacey
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: